BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
dbyrd
Getting close to 100k

Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Rubbing in rear with 12.5 spacers on stock 18s with Michelin PSS

I just installed 12.5 mm spacers in the rear with new Michelin PSS 265/40/18 on stock 18s, and I'm having slight rubbing at speed over large bumps. No problem with the 15 mm spacers in the front with new 245/40/18s. Suspension is stock. I'm surprised that I have this issue after reviewing tons of threads and measuring myself.

I'm writing this as an FYI and as a feeler for anyone that would be interested in trading my barely used (10 miles) Turner 12.5 mm spacers for a 10 mm pair of spacers.

Happy New Year!
      01-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
akina335
Second Lieutenant

Drives: a car

I put 15mm spacers in there rear when I run my OEM 18's on my E90 M3 and it doesn't rub. Only because I've rubbed so much that all the plastic that it was rubbing on is gone now. It's only plastic, if it bothers you that much you could try 10mm or jus take a dremel and trim/grind away and plastic you see that it's rubbing on. I'll probably get flamed for suggesting you take a dremel to your car.
      01-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
dbyrd
Getting close to 100k

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina335 View Post
I put 15mm spacers in there rear when I run my OEM 18's on my E90 M3 and it doesn't rub. Only because I've rubbed so much that all the plastic that it was rubbing on is gone now. It's only plastic, if it bothers you that much you could try 10mm or jus take a dremel and trim/grind away and plastic you see that it's rubbing on. I'll probably get flamed for suggesting you take a dremel to your car.
Thanks, Akina335. Looks like it's rubbing on the fender and not the plastic where the panels join where other members/threads report rubbing. Other members have used dremels, but I don't want to damage the fender. After driving more this weekend, it only rubbed once and the tire looks fine, so I may try to keep the 12.5mm spacers in the rear. The PSSs must be slightly wider/offset than the PS2s. I just don't want to damage my new tires if I take a big hit.

Is this much of a concern?
      01-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
Thanks, Akina335. Looks like it's rubbing on the fender and not the plastic where the panels join where other members/threads report rubbing. Other members have used dremels, but I don't want to damage the fender. After driving more this weekend, it only rubbed once and the tire looks fine, so I may try to keep the 12.5mm spacers in the rear. The PSSs must be slightly wider/offset than the PS2s. I just don't want to damage my new tires if I take a big hit.

Is this much of a concern?
The PSS has a slightly more square shoulder than the PS2.

Where is it rubbing on the fender? Did the rubbing remove any paint?
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
      01-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
dbyrd
Getting close to 100k

I was wrong, the rubbing is on the interior plastic where the panels meet. I'll review the threads on this topic, but it doesn't seem too bad.