BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
mikeith
Lieutenant
 
mikeith's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lubbock, tx

Posts: 448
iTrader: (0)

anyone here ever fractured a rib?!

so snowboarding this a little over a week ago i wiped out pretty hard on some hard packed snow and it hurt like hell. i bruised one pretty bad last summer and thought i just did the same because the pain was pretty similar. but a week has gone by swelling has gone done and there is a bit of a knot on one of my ribs. as far as i can tell it doesnt feel out of place but some things i've noticed over last years incident are.

cant sleep worth a crap... no matter how i lay it either mildy hurts and isnt confortable or REALLY hurts in a position i would normally sleep in. over a week has gone by and this is driving me nuts!

lifting weight from my side out in front of me hurts like hell. like even puting up a bowl or plate hurts! went gun shopping the other day and just trying to hold the gun up and look through the sights properly was killing me!

before anyone jumps one me and says "go to the doc! there is literally only 11 days left in the year and i've only touched $120 of my $1200 insurance deductable which starts over January 1st lol.

does anyone have any remedies (non Rx) for helping the pain, i've tried ice, heating pad, wrapped it with some crappy wrap i have from old injury, and nothing is helping much.

btw sneezing hurts like NO OTHER
mikeith is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
 
MDyDinanM's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,085
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
Yes, i've had fractured ribs, but my only remedy is to make slow deliberate movements and just suck it up and take it easy.

You may want to go see a doctor to find out the extend of the damage. Maybe get pain killers. But if not, then you'll have to wait 11 days.

Lay off heavy lifting, etc.

Not much help, and not sure what I can tell you that you don't already know.
MDyDinanM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
 
Bimmer84's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [3.75]
So after the gun part, I stopped reading, because I have been wondering the whole time why you would try to go gun shopping if you were in so much pain. Those are man priorities right there! If you want the pain to go away, lay down until January 1st and don't move. Maybe try not breathing much either. Broken/fractured ribs suck....
__________________
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Bimmer84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
mikeith
Lieutenant
 
mikeith's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lubbock, tx

Posts: 448
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer84 View Post
So after the gun part, I stopped reading, because I have been wondering the whole time why you would try to go gun shopping if you were in so much pain. Those are man priorities right there! If you want the pain to go away, lay down until January 1st and don't move. Maybe try not breathing much either. Broken/fractured ribs suck....
had to finish up some x-mas shopping and looked while i was out.

on another note... shifting my car hurts ESPECIALLY shifting into reverse hurts more than just about anything!

cant even sit up, have to role out of bed in a douchy manor lol.

between moto, stunt riding on sportbikes, and general acts of bravery (stupidity) as kid i've broken a lot but seriously i think that this is the most freaking annoying one of all!

i just hope it heals soon! we're supposed to go snowboarding twice in Jan(7th & 28th)... looks like the 7th isnt going to happen now but hopefully i'll be back on my game in time to make the second go round
mikeith is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
 
Bimmer84's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [3.75]
Yea, you're not going to be doing much on the 7th if it's fractured....
__________________
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Bimmer84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
 
MDyDinanM's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,085
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeith View Post

i just hope it heals soon! we're supposed to go snowboarding twice in Jan(7th & 28th)... looks like the 7th isnt going to happen now but hopefully i'll be back on my game in time to make the second go round
haha...this guy
Attached Images
 
MDyDinanM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
 
infinitekid2002's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 3,380
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeith View Post
so snowboarding this a little over a week ago i wiped out pretty hard on some hard packed snow and it hurt like hell. i bruised one pretty bad last summer and thought i just did the same because the pain was pretty similar. but a week has gone by swelling has gone done and there is a bit of a knot on one of my ribs. as far as i can tell it doesnt feel out of place but some things i've noticed over last years incident are.

cant sleep worth a crap... no matter how i lay it either mildy hurts and isnt confortable or REALLY hurts in a position i would normally sleep in. over a week has gone by and this is driving me nuts!

lifting weight from my side out in front of me hurts like hell. like even puting up a bowl or plate hurts! went gun shopping the other day and just trying to hold the gun up and look through the sights properly was killing me!

before anyone jumps one me and says "go to the doc! there is literally only 11 days left in the year and i've only touched $120 of my $1200 insurance deductable which starts over January 1st lol.

does anyone have any remedies (non Rx) for helping the pain, i've tried ice, heating pad, wrapped it with some crappy wrap i have from old injury, and nothing is helping much.

btw sneezing hurts like NO OTHER
sucks..i fell on my side pretty hard last weekend but not that bad luckily...just drink beer until you can see the doctor..that's my advice lol
__________________
infinitekid2002 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Space Ghost
Captain
 
Space Ghost's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA-PA

Posts: 625
iTrader: (5)

I fractured a rib. It took months to heal. Missed a whole ski season.
__________________

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Space Ghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Fractured two ribs diving for a shallow fly ball. Nothing the doctor can do for you, he will just tell you to take it easy and avoid heavy lifting, sports, etc.

Took about 3-4 months for me to heal to the point where I could comfortably run. The first few months, it hurt like hell to sneeze, laugh, cough, hiccup, breath hard, pretty much anything that involved moving my core.

Lol at snowboarding... not gonna happen...
daixloxbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
 
chungdae's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 701
iTrader: (2)

This really should be common sense. You should go to the Dr. and see what other damages are done. You may have bruised/ruptured an organ, etc. Go to a Dr. for peace of mind.
__________________
2001 Audi S4: RIP
2008, Infiniti G37S: Traded
2009 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
chungdae is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
mikeith
Lieutenant
 
mikeith's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lubbock, tx

Posts: 448
iTrader: (0)

Are you guys SERIOUS!?!? 2-4 months to heal!?!?


There goes my whole freakin winter!!! This is the first year I've had weekends off EVER and we were planning on taking at LEAST 4-5 boarding trips this season!
mikeith is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
mikeith
Lieutenant
 
mikeith's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lubbock, tx

Posts: 448
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
This really should be common sense. You should go to the Dr. and see what other damages are done. You may have bruised/ruptured an organ, etc. Go to a Dr. for peace of mind.
I will.... Right after the new year
mikeith is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
 
Bimmer84's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [3.75]
I had 3 winters of knee surgeries... worst 3 winters ever! Couldn't do a damn thing...
__________________
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Bimmer84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
808@702
7th BMW, 500th Surfboard
 
808@702's Avatar
 
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nv. and Honolulu, Hi.

Posts: 1,018
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeith View Post
so snowboarding this a little over a week ago i wiped out pretty hard on some hard packed snow and it hurt like hell. i bruised one pretty bad last summer and thought i just did the same because the pain was pretty similar. but a week has gone by swelling has gone done and there is a bit of a knot on one of my ribs. as far as i can tell it doesnt feel out of place but some things i've noticed over last years incident are.

cant sleep worth a crap... no matter how i lay it either mildy hurts and isnt confortable or REALLY hurts in a position i would normally sleep in. over a week has gone by and this is driving me nuts!

lifting weight from my side out in front of me hurts like hell. like even puting up a bowl or plate hurts! went gun shopping the other day and just trying to hold the gun up and look through the sights properly was killing me!

before anyone jumps one me and says "go to the doc! there is literally only 11 days left in the year and i've only touched $120 of my $1200 insurance deductable which starts over January 1st lol.

does anyone have any remedies (non Rx) for helping the pain, i've tried ice, heating pad, wrapped it with some crappy wrap i have from old injury, and nothing is helping much.

btw sneezing hurts like NO OTHER
Dont sneeze, or breath I cracked one when my surfboard hit me. Hurts like hell for a long time!
808@702 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Litos
Colonel
 
Litos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

Posts: 2,895
iTrader: (1)

808, you're a fucking idiot.
__________________
Litos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
RambleJ
Colonel
 
RambleJ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

Posts: 2,013
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
Fractured two ribs diving for a shallow fly ball. Nothing the doctor can do for you, he will just tell you to take it easy and avoid heavy lifting, sports, etc.

Took about 3-4 months for me to heal to the point where I could comfortably run. The first few months, it hurt like hell to sneeze, laugh, cough, hiccup, breath hard, pretty much anything that involved moving my core.

Lol at snowboarding... not gonna happen...
This right here.
I fractured one a while back skateboarding. And there is nothing a doc can really do for you but give you something to ease the pain. This has to heal on its own and if its truly a fractured rib you will not be going boarding in Jan at all.
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
flyingfortress
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: buffalo, ny

Posts: 316
iTrader: (5)

I did almost the exact same thing last year with the exact same pain symptoms. One visit to the chiropractor almost instantly erased all my pain. Turned out to be a Subluxated Rib. I don't know if that helps, but look it up.
flyingfortress is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
 
upstatedoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,481
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
808, you're a fucking idiot.
__________________
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
upstatedoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
sn0pea
Captain
 
sn0pea's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 325i 2006
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OK

Posts: 841
iTrader: (1)

I had the same pain when I bruised my sternum taking a ski pole to the chest... Yours sounds a bit more painful though, but maybe...
__________________

2006 325i: Matte Black Grills, AG m310 19's (19X8.5et35 & 19X9.5et33 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19), Amber Covers, Magnaflow with black tips, Blacked Emblems, M3 Replica Bumper and Vorsteiner hood!
sn0pea is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #20
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 997.2 TTS, IS-F, X5M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicagoland

Posts: 230
iTrader: (0)

I broke one drunk arm wrestling two years ago. Tried so hard to win that my rib smashed into the side of the table. Hurt for months!
ToothDoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
 
leJUNd's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 314
iTrader: (1)

ooh happened to me about 5 years ago... snowboarding. What made it worse was I caught a cold during the same trip.
leJUNd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
RambleJ
Colonel
 
RambleJ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

Posts: 2,013
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingi2ime View Post
ooh happened to me about 5 years ago... snowboarding. What made it worse was I caught a cold during the same trip.
OUCH!!!
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST