BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

04-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #45
Magnetic Fusion
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3

Send a message via Skype™ to Magnetic Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
Someone care to share which fuse it is.
I know right...I'm too lazy to search for it HAHA!
      03-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #46
blkdinanm3
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW ZCP M3  [0.00]
I scheduled my driver side butler to get fixed next week under warranty. If it fails again I'm pulling the fuse.. Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #47
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Here is the real fix...

Order part 31241398 (for the left or corresponding part for the right) from www.getBMWparts.com. It is about $70, it is a smaller subset of the complete arm assembly available from dealer (it may also be available as this part from your dealer, but likely for a much higher price). Remove the arm simply by gently pulling it out (don't worry if you hear some gear grinding it won't break anything). Make sure to note exactly how the additional "free-floating" L shaped bar fits on to the main arm assembly. Check out this video for replacing the part which has a worn spring and or additional friction caused by wear and perhaps gunk buildup.

I did not need to use a razor as shown in the video just a small screw driver to pry the plastic detent from under its "keeper". Line up the L shaped bar back on the main bar and slide (firm guided pressure) it back into the hole. Again some gear stripping noise will be fine. Again it sounds bad but won't hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #48
BetterLate
Rep

Drives: 09 JtB E92

I had Jeeves coded OFF by Alex at Alpine.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #49
go4gr8
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Mine won't erect when it's cold.
      03-03-2014, 03:55 AM   #50
gazosnic
Captain
Rep

Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Here is the real fix...

Order part 31241398 (for the left or corresponding part for the right) from www.getBMWparts.com. It is about $70, it is a smaller subset of the complete arm assembly available from dealer (it may also be available as this part from your dealer, but likely for a much higher price). Remove the arm simply by gently pulling it out (don't worry if you hear some gear grinding it won't break anything). Make sure to note exactly how the additional "free-floating" L shaped bar fits on to the main arm assembly. Check out this video for replacing the part which has a worn spring and or additional friction caused by wear and perhaps gunk buildup.

I did not need to use a razor as shown in the video just a small screw driver to pry the plastic detent from under its "keeper". Line up the L shaped bar back on the main bar and slide (firm guided pressure) it back into the hole. Again some gear stripping noise will be fine. Again it sounds bad but won't hurt anything.
Can you elaborate on the difference of the new part number. What's revised in the design? If mine still comes out like normal but doesn't catch is this new part really the solution? Or is it the belt itself?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #51
Marcin
Registered
Rep

Drives: M3 E92

Hi Guys, I am new here. I think I have easiest and least innovative solution which really works Don't spend SO MUCH money to repair what will brake soon again!

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #52
gazosnic
Captain
Rep

Drives: bmw m3

I just fixed mine. I initially tried the iron method w no luck. I then pulled the arm out and noticed it was bent a little. I heated it and tried to bend it back straight and then after putting it back in it worked.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #53
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
Hi Guys, I am new here. I think I have easiest and least innovative solution which really works Don't spend SO MUCH money to repair what will brake soon again!

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

How do we go about nominating this man for a Nobel Prize?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #54
duk
///M
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
The seat belt hook on my drivers side never hooks. It's not anything bad or I would take it to the dealer for but it soooooo annoying. Nothing is wrong, everything looks identical to the passenger side. It comes forward normal but doesn't grab the belt.

Anybody else ever have this problem?
Mines did the same, it was the belt becoming to 'soft' or something. They just replaced the entire belt. Good as new.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #55
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
Can you elaborate on the difference of the new part number. What's revised in the design? If mine still comes out like normal but doesn't catch is this new part really the solution? Or is it the belt itself?
Nothing has been redesigned. As noted in my post you quoted it is just that the springs wear out and gunk/dirt builds up causing much more friction. One may be able to carefully clean and reinstall a part and get a bit more life from it, but in addition to the contamination the spring felt definitely worn. Of course if the spring was selected/designed properly by the engineer it would never wear/set/creep etc.

Also, although not a reply to you directly it is pretty clear that the ironing/starching of the belt is a work-around/band-aid that does not address the fundamental problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #56
UroGator
Private
Rep

Drives: 2008 MR E92 M3 6MT

I just tried the ironing with starch trick and it works like a charm. Not sure how long it will last, but it cost me exactly $1.99 in ironing starch to give it a try
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #57
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Remove the arm simply by gently pulling it out (don't worry if you hear some gear grinding it won't break anything). Make sure to note exactly how the additional "free-floating" L shaped bar fits on to the main arm assembly.
I used the above method to remove the complete assembly.
Removed the actual belt handover part using a screwdriver as described in the video below at 6 mins.
Removed and discarded the broken piece of metal bracket and the spring that was attached to it.
Reassembled it and returned it to the car and it works perfectly (without the spring and bracket).
Took about 10 mins all in.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 08-12-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #58
Galt?
Shrug
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 E90 M3, AW/FR, ZCP

Thanks for the video. I don't have this option and watched the video anyway. Good reminder that some things are easy to fix on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I used the above method to remove the complete assembly.
Removed the actual belt handover part using a screwdriver as described in the video below at 6 mins.
Removed and discarded the broken piece of metal bracket and the spring that was attached to it.
Reassembled it and returned it to the car and it works perfectly (without the spring and bracket).
Took about 10 mins all in.

Appreciate 0