BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

European Auto Source

12-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
ThunderMoose
Captain

Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
No, tell the guy to watch your passing technique at :29 seconds. Then close with, "nuff said".

Actions speak louder than words.
I had to play it twice to see wtf happened.
      12-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #24
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

......Damn!!!!!....................Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
///M Ryder is offline   United_States
      12-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Every organization I am sure will want to run the Austin track. The Texas BMW CCA chapters are interested in joining forces for both a corral during the race and for DE.

I am sure LSRPCA is interested as well. what will be interesting is how this all affects TWS. does the f1 track ruin TWS or does the popularity advance things in the area.

One thing you can be sure of, I would very much expect an event at the F1 track to run on the area of $400-500 for the event. that's what drivers often pay for events at places like barber Motorsports park, watkins
glen, laguna seca, etc.
      12-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #26
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Every organization I am sure will want to run the Austin track. The Texas BMW CCA chapters are interested in joining forces for both a corral during the race and for DE.

I am sure LSRPCA is interested as well. what will be interesting is how this all affects TWS. does the f1 track ruin TWS or does the popularity advance things in the area.

One thing you can be sure of, I would very much expect an event at the F1 track to run on the area of $400-500 for the event. that's what drivers often pay for events at places like barber Motorsports park, watkins
glen, laguna seca, etc.
I would think Harris Hill and Driveway Austin would be in a lot more trouble than TWS. But TWS does need to invest some money into the place, especially the track surface. You can see where the edges are crumbling on the infield sections.

I think it will advance the sport and increase its popularity. I think the F1 event will be a tremendous opportunity for PCA, BMWCCA, and other orgs (like Driver's Edge) to promote what they offer for HPDEs.

I REALLY hope the Tejas chapter stops being super lame and start doing HPDEs and Auto-xing. Wine tasting and country side cruises get old...wait...they are already old. With the F1 track really close...no excuse!

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
      03-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #27
Voltigeur
MacroRisk

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
I REALLY hope the Tejas chapter stops being super lame and start doing HPDEs and Auto-xing. Wine tasting and country side cruises get old...wait...they are already old. With the F1 track really close...no excuse!
A lot are retirees; Hill Country etc. I don't mind a winery tour a year; Bluebonnet. But I guess HPDEs also are more $$$ and you have to get the car checked etc prior.

I'm doing the HPDE in Mar. And I really hope the Circuit of the Americas is opened up for events. I heard the Ferrari Club in Austin was keen. Bet the P-car group is too.

Got my Austin F1 PSLs y'day - woo hoo! (seat licences).

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
      03-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
I would think Harris Hill and Driveway Austin would be in a lot more trouble than TWS. But TWS does need to invest some money into the place, especially the track surface. You can see where the edges are crumbling on the infield sections.
Harris Hill is a lot closer, which shifts the trouble equation substantially in its favor. As for TWS' condition, I agree, but I suspect they're already struggling to stay open these days. TWS used to be in the middle of nowhere, but now that College Station is getting more developed, the property tax on a plot that size must be astronomical. As always, they have to find a balance between how much they can charge and how many people will pay it, and maybe that equation doesn't allow much leftover cash for improvements. I'll personally be happy if it just stays there rather than getting sold off to be converted into a housing development.

Quote:
I for one enjoy the standard events. I also enjoy HPDEs but I probably only do 3-4 full weekend events per year with Driver's Edge. The reason Tejas doesn't do more is because on the one they had last year the attendance was such that they either barely broke even or lost money, can't remember which. Unlike typical events, HPDEs involve substantial upfront costs, and the chapter isn't large enough to be able to risk taking a serious loss due to low attendance -- plus it doesn't help that they're at a disadvantage compared to more established groups like Driver's Edge that can offer far more track time per dollar.

At the end of the day not everyone has M cars and/or is interested in driving on the track, especially given the cost and prep work required, and possibly requirement to purchase track insurance depending on your carrier. But lots of people (myself included) are interested in taking cruises and grabbing food somewhere. It's far cheaper, you can generally decide to attend at the last minute, and thanks to all the great roads out here you can still have an enjoyable driving experience -- so that's what we tend to do.

The bottom line for me is that the people are more important than the specific event. If I want a track day/weekend, I can sign up for those easily even if Tejas doesn't offer them, but if I wanted to meet up with a lot of the chapter members for half a day of driving and food, that wouldn't be nearly so easy without Tejas events that people actually want to attend.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 03-30-2012 at 02:31 PM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      04-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
jml
Captain

Drives: E90M3

Quote:
But TWS does need to invest some money into the place, especially the track surface.
It's far, far, far better than Harris Hill - that place is in really bad shape right now.

Quote:
I REALLY hope the Tejas chapter stops being super lame and start doing HPDEs and Auto-xing.
I was just at a Tejas DE on Saturday out at H2R. There were about 60 cars and 20 instructors. Seemed like a bit more than last year.
      04-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #30
Voltigeur
MacroRisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I for one enjoy the standard events. I also enjoy HPDEs but I probably only do 3-4 full weekend events per year with Driver's Edge. The reason Tejas doesn't do more is because on the one they had last year the attendance was such that they either barely broke even or lost money, can't remember which. Unlike typical events, HPDEs involve substantial upfront costs, and the chapter isn't large enough to be able to risk taking a serious loss due to low attendance -- plus it doesn't help that they're at a disadvantage compared to more established groups like Driver's Edge that can offer far more track time per dollar.
I also like my Hill Country drives and the club is very amicable. I heard from the Pres. that last year's HPDE lost money and not by an insubstantial amount, which is a big reason why there was not more than one. I hope that this year's HPDE - which appeared well attended - was at least a break-even for the Chapter.

Tip of the hat to Jeff the Chief Instructor and the others, including Tejas, for running a very well organized event. I for one am grateful to the club

///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
      04-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #31
Voltigeur
MacroRisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
I was just at a Tejas DE on Saturday out at H2R. There were about 60 cars and 20 instructors. Seemed like a bit more than last year.
Agree, seemed a good roll-out. Which grp were you in and what color M3?

04-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #32
bigjae1976

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
At least do SOME auto-xing. Glad to hear the H2R event went well!

04-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #33
jml
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Agree, seemed a good roll-out. Which grp were you in and what color M3?
I was in a silver E90 335i with some serious boost in N+ (blue group), a black 335i in N (green group), and in my IB E90 M3 in red (hard to miss it, I have cut-outs/no exhaust). My friend took it out a coupon times in yellow.
      04-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #34
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
I was in a silver E90 335i with some serious boost in N+ (blue group), a black 335i in N (green group), and in my IB E90 M3 in red (hard to miss it, I have cut-outs/no exhaust). My friend took it out a coupon times in yellow.
How did you manage to be in all 3 run groups? Did you register 3 times? Typically run group assignment is more about the driver than car as well...
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
      04-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
bigjae1976

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Dang, that's hard core. I'm wore out just running in 1 group.

04-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #36
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant

Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
How did you manage to be in all 3 run groups? Did you register 3 times? Typically run group assignment is more about the driver than car as well...
red = instructor?
      04-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #37
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
red = instructor?
Aha! True enough, he said he was IN those other 2 cars, not necessarily driving. So that's probably it.
      04-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
VMcV3y
Captain

Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
No, tell the guy to watch your passing technique at :29 seconds. Then close with, "nuff said".

Actions speak louder than words.

So this is why you wear those non-long pants, eh?

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.
VMcV3y is offline   United_States
      04-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #39
bigjae1976

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
So this is why you wear those non-long pants, eh?

Yup! Long pants just hold the poo in.

04-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #40
jml
Captain

Quote:
Aha! True enough, he said he was IN those other 2 cars, not necessarily driving. So that's probably it.
bingo
      04-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #41
Voltigeur
MacroRisk

Quote:
Wow, you had a TOTAL track-day, nice! I saw your IB M3: you were moving. Heard you too

I was the JzB M3 that lapped in N. Then by accident - schedule running late - I was in Intermed. for 1 session (b4 lunch).

Great day.

04-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #42
jml
Captain

Quote:
Wow, you had a TOTAL track-day, nice! I saw your IB M3: you were moving. Heard you too

I was the JzB M3 that lapped in N. Then by accident - schedule running late - I was in Intermed. for 1 session (b4 lunch).

Great day.
Indeed, it was an excellent day for the track. Perfect weather (except for the water at 8) I was very distracted by all the wild flowers - I wonder if they took pics.

Sorry if we held you up in N...my student was extremely timid. I was trying to be sure she had a good time with her family (her husband was retired and big into the track and racing), so I didn't push her.

Did you lose a camera?
      04-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #43
Voltigeur
MacroRisk

Quote:
Indeed, it was an excellent day for the track. Perfect weather (except for the water at 8) I was very distracted by all the wild flowers - I wonder if they took pics.

Sorry if we held you up in N...my student was extremely timid. I was trying to be sure she had a good time with her family (her husband was retired and big into the track and racing), so I didn't push her.

Did you lose a camera?
All good. A day for fun, not 'grandstanding'. And I love it that we get a mixed crowd.

I did get some rear-end wiggle at '8'. Added a frisson of excitement and no reason then to push there until the line dried.

Yes, 1 of my Hero2's went for its own topsy-turvy journey at "Mustang". Testimony to its toughness as when recovered it powered up, though I have yet to download. May have some amusing footage there

Thanks to all those volunteers, including some on this board, for making our fun track-day & learning possible

04-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #44
jml
Captain

Quote:
All good. A day for fun, not 'grandstanding'. And I love it that we get a mixed crowd.

I did get some rear-end wiggle at '8'. Added a frisson of excitement and no reason then to push there until the line dried.

Yes, 1 of my Hero2's went for its own topsy-turvy journey at "Mustang". Testimony to its toughness as when recovered it powered up, though I have yet to download. May have some amusing footage there

Thanks to all those volunteers, including some on this board, for making our fun track-day & learning possible
Oh man, you have to post the footage if it survived!