BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
E92-lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #23
matthewk
Private First Class
matthewk's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjohnston View Post
This. We look at new hires FB and Twitter to get a judge of what kind of person they are. If all they talk about is drugs, drinking, partying, etc. and there is another person who is just as qualified, the "higher risk" person doesn't get the job.
How do you do this is someone's settings are completely private, restricted to friends only?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #24
Seminole
Colonel
Seminole's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
2,032
Posts

 
Drives: Red Flyer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 38.8977į N, 77.0366į W

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjohnston View Post
This. We look at new hires FB and Twitter to get a judge of what kind of person they are. If all they talk about is drugs, drinking, partying, etc. and there is another person who is just as qualified, the "higher risk" person doesn't get the job.
Out of curiosity, what do you do if the profile is set to all private and all you can pretty much see is the persons name and picture?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #25
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
61
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Again, not clicking the link.

It's one company (although it seems like there is one similar to it in the article), and you have to sign up for it. Although it can attempt to grab limited data based off of your e-mail address, which means very little if you provide a valid e-mail address that is not tied to any social networks. I have quite a few e-mail addresses, only one of which is tied to my FB account.

Also, read the section in the article about the FCRA.

"Reppify says in its privacy policy that it will not create a score for a client unless the client completes a certification required by the FCRA."

You're still not explaining anything. You're just posting links.
Why are you so afraid to click on a link?

Guess you ran out of tinfoil.

Then google it and click on the google cache or are you afraid of that as well.
__________________
The journey is the reward.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #26
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
MidwestGolfBum's Avatar
North Korea
20
Rep
256
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey E92s
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: No Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
How do you do this is someone's settings are completely private, restricted to friends only?
Many people we are looking at FB/Twitter for are fresh out of college, and because most want people to be able to find them, but not learn everything about them while there, they leave their stuff somewhat public. But for the people like you are describing, we look, see there is nothing, and move on, it's not like we try too hard at this, just a quick and easy way to see what they are like based on what they like to share.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #27
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
Crimson92's Avatar
United_States
300
Rep
28,647
Posts

 
Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

iTrader: (3)

this is why i stay the hell off of fb
__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"

Last edited by Crimson92; 12-15-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #28
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,823
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Why are you so afraid to click on a link?

Guess you ran out of tinfoil.

Then google it and click on the google cache or are you afraid of that as well.
I don't click on links I don't recognize or go to regularly. Typical safe internet practices. Especially while at work... The last thing I need is some BS to be downloaded to my work computer and my access restricted for something stupid.

You're still not explaining anything. I'm not re-explaining myself or my position. If you didn't bother reading my last response and have nothing to say but "google this" then you're just not what I expected...

Blayne, you just posted an opinion, so I guess you fail too?
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8

Last edited by Templar; 12-16-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #29
Maestro
Captain
44
Rep
905
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Many HR departments use social sites to evaluate you, some even ask your permission. It isn't a hoax.
My wife works in the recruiting industry and this is no joke, they have been for years, using social networks as a means to determine if someone should be hired. There are many examples of people not getting a job because of information that was found about the person on social networks.

The problem is your friends and Foes can destroy you on these networks.

As I have told my kids if someone pulls out a camera when you are doing things that you probably should not be doing, run, and run away fast.

What lots of people today do not realize, way back prior to the internet and digital cameras and the such, if you did something stupid, most like no one ever found out unless you told them, even if someone said you did something you had plausible deniability (your word against theirs) not true today with cameras and such.

I am not sure why people have this need to show how stupid they can be and let the whole world know.

One other thing about all this, thinking not having a presents on the internet is a good things, well think again, as the people who will be making decisions in the future grew up being fully exposed on the internet will interrupt your lack of presents as you have something to hid and this could go against you. I get it some times myself, people look at me weird when I tell them I do not have facebook account, they thing something is wrong with me.

Last edited by Maestro; 12-16-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #30
kyleb350
Brigadier General
kyleb350's Avatar
United_States
51
Rep
4,196
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
My wife works in the recruiting industry and this is no joke, they have been for years, using social networks as a means to determine if someone should be hired. There are many examples of people not getting a job because of information that was found about the person on social networks.

The problem is your friends and Foes can destroy you on these networks.

As I have told my kids if someone pulls out a camera when you are doing things that you probably should not be doing, run, and run away fast.

What lots of people today do not realize, way back prior to the internet and digital cameras and the such, if you did something stupid, most like no one ever found out unless you told them, even if someone said you did something you had plausible deniability (your word against theirs) not true today with cameras and such.

I am not sure why people have this need to show how stupid they can be and let the whole world know.

One other thing about all this, thinking not having a presents on the internet is a good things, well think again, as the people who will be making decisions in the future grew up being fully exposed on the internet will interrupt your lack of presents as you have something to hid and this could go against you. I get it some times myself, people look at me weird when I tell them I do not have facebook account, they thing something is wrong with me.
The thing is most people's accounts are private, at least the smart ones'.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #31
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
deleted facebook months ago. haven't looked back since.
+1. Searching me on google likewise yields about nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #32
abisson
Canada FTW.
abisson's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 GTI MKVI
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple Syrup Country

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I don't click on links I don't recognize or go to regularly. Typical safe internet practices. Especially while at work... The last thing I need is some BS to be downloaded to my work computer and my access restricted for something stupid.
The fuck is that way of thinking? 2002 or 2011? You sound like my mom 5 years ago when she was afraid of clicking on a link because she was afraid of pops-up. Stop being a little a bitch and bring some facts to your argument. Click on the damn link and you will see what he is talking about.

I am 1000% sure my computer is a in better state than yours, yet, I visit NSFW sites.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #33
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,823
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
The fuck is that way of thinking? 2002 or 2011? You sound like my mom 5 years ago when she was afraid of clicking on a link because she was afraid of pops-up. Stop being a little a bitch and bring some facts to your argument. Click on the damn link and you will see what he is talking about.

I am 1000% sure my computer is a in better state than yours, yet, I visit NSFW sites.
LOL, I'm sure it is champ.

Why are you so mad though? I read the article, and that's all I needed to read. And like I said, I'm at work. Read much?

And if you don't have anything to contribute about the article posted, then gladly shut the fuck up.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8

Last edited by Templar; 12-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #34
abisson
Canada FTW.
abisson's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 GTI MKVI
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple Syrup Country

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
LOL, I'm sure it is champ.

Why are you so mad though? I read the article, and that's all I needed to read. And like I said, I'm at work. Read much?

And if you don't have anything to contribute about the article posted, gladly shut the fuck up.
I am in the software industry, worked for a social network, and trust me, what we know about people is beyond what you think.

I am not mad, I just hate that people on this forum do not go through their opinion by saying "I am at work". You are on a BMW forum, but you can't click a link. Way to go champ.

You think " The article speaks of social network "influence" and "reputation". What exactly does that mean? Basing who you are as a person based on how many fucking FB friends you have? That is ludcrous, and sounds nothing short of a hoax.". Go look at the website before posting here again, or you will still look like a fool.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #35
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
61
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
LOL, I'm sure it is champ.

Why are you so mad though? I read the article, and that's all I needed to read. And like I said, I'm at work. Read much?

And if you don't have anything to contribute about the article posted, then gladly shut the fuck up.
Click if you dare!



Mystery link
__________________
The journey is the reward.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #36
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,823
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
I am in the software industry, worked for a social network, and trust me, what we know about people is beyond what you think.

I am not mad, I just hate that people on this forum do not go through their opinion by saying "I am at work". You are on a BMW forum, but you can't click a link. Way to go champ.

You think " The article speaks of social network "influence" and "reputation". What exactly does that mean? Basing who you are as a person based on how many fucking FB friends you have? That is ludcrous, and sounds nothing short of a hoax.". Go look at the website before posting here again, or you will still look like a fool.
I don't know, you seem pretty mad about it to me, to say you hate me because I am at work and won't click on a link... Oh, and you're an IT expert. Maybe I should just believe everything you say. The only one looking like a fool is you, because you're so bent out of shape over this, while not providing anything to support any sort of argument at all, just hurling insults. Either way, I checked the site out on my phone.

How can they determine your social "worth" based on your profile if it's private or if you don't have one? How exactly does the number of FB friends I have determine what type of job I can get? They say they share only info about activity, like number of twitter followers you have. For example, if I have a private profile, I probably have a small circle of friends. Does this mean I have less worth as an employee because I choose not to put my business with my friends and family out there for anyone to see? I don't think so.

They say soon they will allow you to mess with your profile to only show certain things. So basically, you're paying someone else to hide these things when you could just, you know, not post them? It's not a hoax, but it sure is a ripoff. Nothing this website can do can keep them from just doing a Google search for your name anyway. Not to mention that they say they can help "protect" you. In all honesty, the only way to protect yourself is to not post pictures of you doing stupid shit, or not post an update saying "I fucking hate my boss." Or you could just get rid of your social networking accounts altogether.

Again, it's one company, and you have the option of whether or not to participate.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #37
abisson
Canada FTW.
abisson's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 GTI MKVI
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple Syrup Country

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I don't know, you seem pretty mad about it to me, to say you hate me because I am at work and won't click on a link... Oh, and you're an IT expert. Maybe I should just believe everything you say. The only one looking like a fool is you, because you're so bent out of shape over this, while not providing anything to support any sort of argument at all, just hurling insults. Either way, I checked the site out on my phone.

How can they determine your social "worth" based on your profile if it's private or if you don't have one? How exactly does the number of FB friends I have determine what type of job I can get? They say they share only info about activity, like number of twitter followers you have. For example, if I have a private profile, I probably have a small circle of friends. Does this mean I have less worth as an employee because I choose not to put my business with my friends and family out there for anyone to see? I don't think so.

They say soon they will allow you to mess with your profile to only show certain things. So basically, you're paying someone else to hide these things when you could just, you know, not post them? It's not a hoax, but it sure is a ripoff. Nothing this website can do can keep them from just doing a Google search for your name anyway. Not to mention that they say they can help "protect" you. In all honesty, the only way to protect yourself is to not post pictures of you doing stupid shit, or not post an update saying "I fucking hate my boss." Or you could just get rid of your social networking accounts altogether.

Again, it's one company, and you have the option of whether or not to participate.
Like it was brought up before, these days, most people will be regarded as "weird" or "not up-to-date" regarding technology if you don't have a FB account, Twitter and so on. I mean, try to go apply for a tech company in Cali or NYC, and when the guy ask you "What is your FB account" and you say "sorry, I don't have one, I am afraid it".... the guy will look at you like "wtf?".

The website offers you to calculate your reputation/social score/web attitude. The point is that if you have Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and all that, but you are being respectful, do not post stupid pictures, and do not insult everyone, it shows that if you can behave on a platform where you are a "virtual" person, you are most likely to behave as a "real" person in the society also.

By having all this tools, but behaving within those tools, it shows what type of person you are. If you have over 10k+ followers on Twitter, and you post interesting stuff and people like you... you are mostly likely not a socially awkward person, therefore getting a good reputation according to Reppify.

Yes, some people have no interest in FB or Twitter and so on, and I respect that. But at the end of the day, depending on what field you are working on, what kind of job you do, you will have to keep up with the trends. Your behaviour in these trends will show an employer much more than you think.

Is that an argument enough for you?

and as a final word, a company could make you sign something such as "We are allowed to look at your FB and Twitter and so on before hiring you", because these days, most people spend over 2 hours per day on social media, which is about 8% of your day. This is a damn good way for an employer to see how you act.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #38
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
MDyDinanM's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
2,090
Posts

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
I don't have FB

perhaps this is the beginning of me being a social outcast....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #39
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,823
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
Like it was brought up before, these days, most people will be regarded as "weird" or "not up-to-date" regarding technology if you don't have a FB account, Twitter and so on. I mean, try to go apply for a tech company in Cali or NYC, and when the guy ask you "What is your FB account" and you say "sorry, I don't have one, I am afraid it".... the guy will look at you like "wtf?".

The website offers you to calculate your reputation/social score/web attitude. The point is that if you have Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and all that, but you are being respectful, do not post stupid pictures, and do not insult everyone, it shows that if you can behave on a platform where you are a "virtual" person, you are most likely to behave as a "real" person in the society also.

By having all this tools, but behaving within those tools, it shows what type of person you are. If you have over 10k+ followers on Twitter, and you post interesting stuff and people like you... you are mostly likely not a socially awkward person, therefore getting a good reputation according to Reppify.

Yes, some people have no interest in FB or Twitter and so on, and I respect that. But at the end of the day, depending on what field you are working on, what kind of job you do, you will have to keep up with the trends. Your behaviour in these trends will show an employer much more than you think.


Is that an argument enough for you?
That's fine, and I understand and agree with what you're saying. There wasn't any need to be all snippy about it. That's all you had to say.

I am still interested to see how it works with private profiles. Like I said before, my FB profile is set to full privacy pretty much. Only my friends can see me, and I'm very strict about who I add as a friend. Plus, with my common name, it would take them forever to find me. When they did find my listing, all they would see is my profile pic (which is my car), my name, and my networks. Most of my friends are close family or friends, and I clean my account off regularly of people I don't talk to anymore. If I ever see them and they ask why I removed them, I just tell em like it is. Nothing personal, I just figured if we don't talk then there's no reason to be connected through something we don't communicate through anyway.

I don't consider myself "weird," I do have a FB and I do like it, but is it weird that I'm just very careful with who can actually see my info? Besides, try looking up Mike Williams on Facebook. Good luck

EDIT:
Quote:
and as a final word, a company could make you sign something such as "We are allowed to look at your FB and Twitter and so on before hiring you", because these days, most people spend over 2 hours per day on social media, which is about 8% of your day. This is a damn good way for an employer to see how you act.
I could see that happening too, but just make another profile for fun (kept private), and give them your "work/business" FB account info.

And LOL @ M3Bahn, you know when you hover over a link in text, no matter what you put there, the actual link shows at the bottom of the browser? I don't have to click on your "mystery link" to know it's CNN
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #40
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
61
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
I don't have FB

perhaps this is the beginning of me being a social outcast....

Soon our online identity will become more important than our real one.

I also think women are more comfortable dating guys that play the FB game.
__________________
The journey is the reward.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #41
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,692
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
I don't have FB

perhaps this is the beginning of me being a social outcast....
Same here.

Every time that I get asked what is my Facebook, and I tell them I don't have one, they look at me weird lol. It doesn't help that my mother has a FB account and is in her late 40's while I'm in my late 20's with no account.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #42
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
61
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
+1. Searching me on google likewise yields about nothing.
Did you search images as well?
__________________
The journey is the reward.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #43
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,809
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
deleted facebook months ago. haven't looked back since.
Same
But I've been considering reactivating my account...




Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Some people I defriended a while ago thought I died in Iraq and my FB was deleted, I know because they asked another friend about it, lol.
Lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
Never had it, never will. Think it's retarded how people waste so much time posting there entire life story on there. No on that dosn't know me, isn't going to know me...
Yes it's a time killer


Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Same here but we are quickly coming to the day where people not on fb will be considered weirdos.
People I meet tend to ask me to add them on FB or want to add me...when I say I don't have a FB, they look at me funny
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #44
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
61
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

And LOL @ M3Bahn, you know when you hover over a link in text, no matter what you put there, the actual link shows at the bottom of the browser? I don't have to click on your "mystery link" to know it's CNN
Of course I knew it but then who would think you'd be so brave as to even hover over a link.

It was a joke... I knew you would never ever click it anyways.
__________________
The journey is the reward.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST