BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning

12-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #23
serranot
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Do I feel obligated? No. Do I drive faster than I otherwise would? Most definitely. Generally, it's not a conscious decision. But I definitely drive faster.
      12-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #24
askharjoon
Private

Drives: e92 M3

THIS http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547660
      12-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
Blindside_137
Major General

Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
I drive slo. It feels fast already going 65. Only gun it on freeway on ramps when no one in front but I stop accelerating at 60 because no where does it say it's illegal to get to that speed in under 5 secs
That's what I thought, one of my chem professors has had a lot of tickets in his 335 though. One was for accelerating too hard (not above the speed limit)
Blindside_137 is offline   United_States
      12-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #26
Iplayedmyself
Not fast enough if everything isnt a blurr

Drives: was-08 e90 335xi, now-08 e90m3

its really funny you started this post today because i was thinking the same thing at about 6pm est when i was taking my dog to the vet. a black WRX with a big intercooler and loud exhaust came flying up behind me pulled up next to me like slammed on the brakes to match me, downshifted and started making the car jump like he wanted to go, me having my german shepherd in the back seat decided to stay in 6th cruising at my speed and pretended he wasnt there. It's not worth beating on ur car for everything that comes along, especially when here in ny 93 octane is almost $4 a gallon, not to mention the M is my everyday
Iplayedmyself is offline   United_States
      12-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

nope not at all...I use to drive like a maniac during my early 20s but now hitting the dirty 30s...i just cruise like a grandpa
      12-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #28
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3 - 6mt

Quote:
Oh but to answer your question, no I don't care if the car next to me takes off faster from a stop light. I've seen civics that get to 40mph faster than me and already a car length ahead...I attribute this to the M's lack of torque. To keep up with civics and camrys, I have to rev this thing to like 5k and I don't want people to think I'm trying to race every car at the light cuz that's gay. And gets too much attention cuz its loud up in those rpms
YES. I hate that! In those moments when my RPM is like at 4500 and I'm not really ripping it but it sounds like i am, are the moments when I become slightly Douchbag-ish and have to rip it for a few seconds. Its like i know those cars think I am ripping it, so i have to show them what ripping it really is.

I totally understand OP and what he is trying to say. Although i occasionally fall for those assholes trying to race me in an old boosted civic, most of the time I stop myself from endangering myself and my car for a lousy prick on the road. It gets tempting, and yes, sometimes i feel like "wait, why is this douche trying to race me, hes in a friggin subaru bro." Depends on my mood and safety conditions, but a lot of times I let the idiot look stupid after he guns it when the light turns green... because I almost always end up next to him at the next red light anway

------------
      12-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
mmm def
Colonel

Drives: 06 330i, 11 S4

Send a message via AIM to mmm def
Nope, maybe if I was 17 and wanted to show everybody how cool I was.
mmm def is online now   United_States
      12-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #30
immiketoo
Colonel

Drives: Smoothly

Not unless I'm at the track. Or hitting an on/off ramp. Even then, I don't go fast, I just don't brake. makes people that think they are impressing me feel a bit silly when I just zip through the corner and they can't keep up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
      12-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #31
robackja
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 Jeep Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Not unless I'm at the track. Or hitting an on/off ramp. Even then, I don't go fast, I just don't brake. makes people that think they are impressing me feel a bit silly when I just zip through the corner and they can't keep up!

Yea, I've done that, and I witnessed them in the rearview almost go clear off the road. I would've felt terrible if something bad happened.

The World in 35mm
robackja is offline   United_States
      12-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #32
Mike van D
Major

Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Nope, feel no pressure to drive like an idiot. Just pick my moments to have fun based on road and traffic conditions...which are always out of town.
      12-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #33
JHFW89225
Major

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Nope, I actually drove slower than I did in my 335i. Interesting how it works, the M made me drive more careful too.
2005 BMW X3 3.0i
      12-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #34
persian54
Lieutenant General

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

Yes, at Willow Springs and Buttonwillow.
and soon Auto Club.
And one day Laguna Seca
persian54 is offline   United_States
      12-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #35
persian54
Lieutenant General

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong1989 View Post
Nope, I actually drove slower than I did in my 335i. Interesting how it works, the M made me drive more careful too.
lack of torque in the M

I drove faster on the street in my 335i too lol
persian54 is offline   United_States
      12-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #36
luis_m3
Low Pro...

Drives: 2011 E90 AW

Not at all... Instead, I like to cruise in my M3.
Now, once on the track it's a different story
luis_m3 is offline   United_States
      12-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #37
armyav8tor
n1smo

Garage List
To the replies that refers to the lack of torque, I would say that it is more due to the lack of a M-DCT. My car rips through the gears so fast it doesnt sound like it's going fast at all but I always pull away from the light faster than the guy next to me. That is not because I want to show off, it's just my driving style. I time the light and stop lights are what I use for sharpening my reaction time if you will. Thats just one aspect of course. I wouldnt say I'm a fast driver on the street, I would say I'm a very efficient driver which people would misinterpret as fast.

I leave my fast driving on the track which reminds me of this one time I was on the way to the Ring. This douchbag in a Z4 was driving like he was Michael Schumacher and was tail gating me the whole way up the the track and eventually passed me when it made no sense since we were like a mile from the Ring. So when I get there, the douch jumps right on because he already had a pass. I had to get out of the car, stand in line, buy a ticket and get on. About halfway through my lap, I passed the douchbag on the Ring. End of story.
armyav8tor is offline   United_States
      12-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #38
bobbyd1961
Banned

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpipes View Post
The title asks the operative question. But as I was cruising along the coast today I wondered how everyone else felt about this. If you are first at a stop light, do you feel you need to take off faster than the person next to you becuz you have an ///M3? Do you feel funny if a grandmother in a Crown Vic or someone in a Camry passes you while you are in the right lane? Do you care? Do you always drive fast/aggressive or are there times when you just cruise along like anyone else? Just curious how everyone else drives day by day.
yes
      12-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #39
DivideBYZero
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3, Prev. E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
To the replies that refers to the lack of torque, I would say that it is more due to the lack of a M-DCT. My car rips through the gears so fast it doesnt sound like it's going fast at all but I always pull away from the light faster than the guy next to me. That is not because I want to show off, it's just my driving style. I time the light and stop lights are what I use for sharpening my reaction time if you will. Thats just one aspect of course. I wouldnt say I'm a fast driver on the street, I would say I'm a very efficient driver which people would misinterpret as fast.

I leave my fast driving on the track which reminds me of this one time I was on the way to the Ring. This douchbag in a Z4 was driving like he was Michael Schumacher and was tail gating me the whole way up the the track and eventually passed me when it made no sense since we were like a mile from the Ring. So when I get there, the douch jumps right on because he already had a pass. I had to get out of the car, stand in line, buy a ticket and get on. About halfway through my lap, I passed the douchbag on the Ring. End of story.
Maybe, but he was on his second lap.
DivideBYZero is offline   United Kingdom
      12-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #40
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
I pick my spots. Mostly not but once in a while I like to use the power. Hell you gotta blow out the carbon deposits once in a while right?
+1

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
      12-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #41
socalm3lover
Private First Class

Quote:
I drive slo. It feels fast already going 65. Only gun it on freeway on ramps when no one in front but I stop accelerating at 60 because no where does it say it's illegal to get to that speed in under 5 secs
Most states have an "exhibiting speed" or something like that. Being first through the intersection (myself, Los Angeles, Century Boulevard, 10pm) can be "judged" as breaking the law. Totally a judgement call by the cop. He paced me and I did not exceed 10 over and the he just warned me. He did tell me that he waived off the motorcycle cop (both were sitting at a gas station) that would have ticketed me. The stop was because of how quickly I got to the speed limit. I am unfailingly polite and humble when stopped, and normally only speeding, not doing anything stupid and have avoided many tickets.

John
      12-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #42
Kyoshi71
Colonel

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Another extremely valuable thread for the archives

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
      12-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #43
Ateam
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalm3lover View Post
Most states have an "exhibiting speed" or something like that. Being first through the intersection (myself, Los Angeles, Century Boulevard, 10pm) can be "judged" as breaking the law. Totally a judgement call by the cop. He paced me and I did not exceed 10 over and the he just warned me. He did tell me that he waived off the motorcycle cop (both were sitting at a gas station) that would have ticketed me. The stop was because of how quickly I got to the speed limit. I am unfailingly polite and humble when stopped, and normally only speeding, not doing anything stupid and have avoided many tickets.

John
This pisses me off though. When were those laws put on the book? When a 0-60 times was more like 10-15 seconds for an average car? Most cars can get to 45mph (or the speed limit) in a short amount of time and what makes it any worse to go there really slowly or quickly as long as you do not roast/spin your tires, swirve or do it in a reckless manner around another car or something. Fuck that,that is one I would take to court. Not saying it will not happen but that is real b.s
      12-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #44
fuddman
Captain

Drives: 528-maybe

Not obligated to drive fast in a straight line but rather, obligated to "show something."

When I succumb to the obligation, I become very aware of two things: the safety involved, the legal component.

As you might expect under these constraints, I don't do it very often. More often than not, when I do it , it's in the curves. And I like it.

My kids get on my case about it. Naturally, I take their criticism as an opportunity to provide them with another "lifes lesson."