BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Alpine HID
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #45
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

I lived in Va. for many years, graduated from high school and college in Va. plus 15 years of employment in the state. I only got one ticket, in 1955 for loud mufflers (glass packs). While I live in NC now, I frequently travel to Northern Va to see our children. I do try and stay with the flow when on I95 and other free ways (free way is perhaps saying too much with stop and go traffic most of the time) and touch wood, never have had the honor of receiving a ticket. So, I cannot join in on bashing law enforcement, but will join in on recommending having legal representation regarding your ticket.
Good luck.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #46
gpitts
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Why is this so prevelent in VA?
No first-hand knowledge, but I grew up in the southeast (SC) and my dad was a trucker. I remember well his stories of the VA troopers and their aggressive tactics. Guess things haven't changed...
__________________

2011 E92 M3, Jerez Black, Black Interior
Escort 9500ci
gpitts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #47
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,482
iTrader: (0)

So what exactly did the OP do that constitutes "reckless driving"? Did he question the officer. Unless I was clearly doing something that was asking for trouble, I would have at least asked the officer what I did that he deemed reckless.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #48
rhouck
Registered
 
rhouck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 236
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Did the OP say he was driving in VA? I just saw his location as midatlantic and assumed it could be anywhere from PA down to SC... My bad if it was in VA.
That's funny because I saw the thread title, saw his location, and my first thought was "this must have been in Virginia"


And I hope no one mistakes the bashing of VA police as an argument that no cops should ever write traffic tickets. While I certainly believe that a substantial portion of speed enforcement is pure revenue generation, I also understand and accept that it's just a fact of life.

However, there is a HUGE difference between writing someone a ticket (even for 15-20 mph over the speed limit, which is not a lot for cruising on an empty freeway) that will cost them a bit of money and maybe an insurance hike..... and having someone receive a CRIMINAL MISDEMEANOR which they now must defend. People that live near VA at least tend to understand that they are usually ludicrous, but when you move apply for jobs anywhere else in the country and have to report it... people are less likely to believe your story.
rhouck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #49
DisGuy
Captain
 
DisGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: M Three Powah
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DmV

Posts: 666
iTrader: (3)

david hall. he got me out of a speeding ticekt and got my reckless reduced to disobeying traffic sign. oh, btw both of these tickets were back to back in a 3 week span.
DisGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #50
shay2nak
I <3 E90 M3
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i/Lotus Exige S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calipornia

Posts: 288
iTrader: (0)

Virginia? Good luck. Definitely get a lawyer. I almost had a reckless driving ticket when I visited there. Cop gave me 74. I hired a lawyer in VA when I came back to CA and she got it down to a $70 fine.

I hate VA for this reason alone. I refuse to go there...75 is reckless there, where 75 is avg driving speed in CA. Give me a break. Nice people, but shit speed laws.
shay2nak is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #51
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

As an observation: Absolutely amazing at how many people on this forum are complaining about being punished for braking the law. And then brag because they got off, or had their offense reduced. Tell me that because you drive a M3 the law somehow does not apply to you. If you have some uncontrolable desire to go fast, then take it to the track.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #52
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,815
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Why is this so prevelent in VA?
It's a major source of revenue.

You get people from the southeast going up north for stuff all the time (business etc), and the same about people going down to Florida for vacations and stuff.

VA is right in the heart of it all, and the cops know the state can make money off people cruising down I-95 well over the speed limits.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #53
saeyedoc
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 538
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
As an observation: Absolutely amazing at how many people on this forum are complaining about being punished for braking the law. And then brag because they got off, or had their offense reduced. Tell me that because you drive a M3 the law somehow does not apply to you. If you have some uncontrolable desire to go fast, then take it to the track.
vz
Punished is one thing, but getting cited for reckless driving for going 20 over or >80 is ridiculous, especially if you're just keeping up with the flow and not driving like a maniac.
saeyedoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #54
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

Posts: 3,043
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
As an observation: Absolutely amazing at how many people on this forum are complaining about being punished for braking the law. And then brag because they got off, or had their offense reduced. Tell me that because you drive a M3 the law somehow does not apply to you. If you have some uncontrolable desire to go fast, then take it to the track.
vz
people drive fast, end of story, you shouldnt have to serve jail time for it though or deal with the bullshit of va,
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring | 15-01 Pollitt Drive St. 6, Fair Lawn NJ 07410
201.666.3500 | Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Alex@Autocouture is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #55
HokieGolfer
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
As an observation: Absolutely amazing at how many people on this forum are complaining about being punished for braking the law. And then brag because they got off, or had their offense reduced. Tell me that because you drive a M3 the law somehow does not apply to you. If you have some uncontrolable desire to go fast, then take it to the track.
vz

82 mph on Interstate 95 is not fast. It's ridiculous this is a criminal misdemeanor. I was pulled over for this on 95 near the NC border at 2am. Hadn't seen a car in miles. Needed a lawyer. RIDICULOUS.
__________________
2011 E92 AW M3 | NZH2 | 2MK | ZCP | ZP2 | ZCV | 494 | 6NR
HokieGolfer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #56
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
82 mph on Interstate 95 is not fast.
Well Hokiegolfer, that is 17 miles over the legal speed limit. How do you feel about 17 over par?
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #57
rhouck
Registered
 
rhouck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 236
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Well Hokiegolfer, that is 17 miles over the legal speed limit. How do you feel about 17 over par?
vz
There is no difference between sections of I-95 which are 65mph and sections of freeways in Texas which are 80mph. But your argument is that it makes sense that it would be a non-issue in one state but a permanent criminal record in another?

Just because a law exists, does not make it just. I'm sure Hokiegolfer would be pissed if he walked onto a course and every hole was marked a Par 3, even though their length would make them a Par 5 everywhere else Or at least he'd be sure to justify why his 17 over par at that course could not be fairly compared to other courses
rhouck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #58
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by untappedguru View Post
Hi All,
Lurked for ages, forgive me my first post is about ranting …
I get right to it
Got pulled over this evening, office says I saw how fast you were going, he didn’t get me on speed trap or anything, say he has been doing this for 20yrs and can tell how fast a car is going by just looking at it. I said okay, figured point trying to make my case. Office has made up his mind and is gonna give it to me.
Nway he gets my DL walks away, comes back with sign this I got you for reckless driving.
Is this legal?
My side of the story …. Off course I wasn’t driving reckless I was going with traffic
I intend to fight this ticket, this is ludicrous!!!

Thanks for your input, and if anyone knows a good lawyer in Northern VA, that would be very helpful.
a**h*le cop
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #59
wooderson
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

He didn't give you a ticket for speeding because he can't prove it. Reckless driving is easier for him to prove because the municipality's case will be based on what the officer observed and possibly what the onboard camera caught you doing. If you think there is a chance that maybe you were being reckless in ways other than speeding, I would lawyer up.
wooderson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #60
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,482
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
As an observation: Absolutely amazing at how many people on this forum are complaining about being punished for braking the law. And then brag because they got off, or had their offense reduced. Tell me that because you drive a M3 the law somehow does not apply to you. If you have some uncontrolable desire to go fast, then take it to the track.
vz
Here is my reply to a different thread that I posted a few days ago. I will repost it here since it is equally as applicable to your post:

Oh, please....spare us the holier-than-thou attitude.

Person A is driving 63mph in freezing rain in a 2-wheel-drive 16 year old pick-up truck. The speed limit is 65. He is following the law.

Person B is driving 90mph in an M3 on a deserted rural highway in dry sunny weather. The speed llimit is also 65. He is breaking the law.

In my book, person A is being far more dangerous than person B.

The problem with "the law" is that is applies the same standards to all people in all conditions. In this regard, it is inherently imperfect. There really is no better option in a civilized society, but when it comes to enforcing the law, discretion should be used. There are people with far superior intelligence and/or driving skills and reflexes than others. There are cars that are far more capable in all regards than others and yet the same standards are applied to both in the name of "the law". From a standpoint of real logic, this makes no sense whatsoever.

If the government can tax me at a higher percentage because I make a high income, then why can't it grant me the privilege to drive faster in my expensive sports car that can stop form 60 in 108 ft as opposed to some beat-up old pick-up that takes 200 ft.

Other than certain obvious laws for real crimes against people, most of these regulatory laws are there to satisfy some special or disguised agenda.

Most interstate speed limits, for example, exist for revenue generating purposes. They have absolutely nothing to do with public safety. Police really are not to blame. If you find an officer that uses discretion, then great, but this is really not their job or their obligation. Their job is simply to enforce the law, not to judge whether your action was appropriate or inappropriate. That is the job of the courts, but as we all know traffic based revenue is just too easy to generate.

In my state of Massachsetts, back years ago when the speed limit was 55, the police tried the concept of "moving roadblocks". Police cruisers took up all lanes and cruised at 55 to regulate the speed of the traffic. The amount of congestion and number of accidents that ensued was astronmical. The concept was quickly abandoned, and yet 55mph was "the law".

Have I made my opinion on this matter clear?
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #61
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
As an observation: Absolutely amazing at how many people on this forum are complaining about being punished for braking the law. And then brag because they got off, or had their offense reduced. Tell me that because you drive a M3 the law somehow does not apply to you. If you have some uncontrolable desire to go fast, then take it to the track.
vz
I'm going to brake in hear and say that people should stop braking the law.
gblansten is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #62
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant
 
Michaeljh2000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3, 69 Vette, GSXR 1000
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Yes, the officer can give you a ticket just because he "thinks" you were speeding. However, you have a good case and should get an attorney who specializes in vehicle traffic matters and VA law.

BTW: don't use the excuse, that you were moving along with traffic. The judge won't care and it won't help.
Michaeljh2000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #63
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant
 
Michaeljh2000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3, 69 Vette, GSXR 1000
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I'm going to brake in hear and say that people should stop braking the law.
So you bought one of the fastest, most expensive cars made yet always drive within the posted speed limit? If you really do, then what a waste of such a fine automobile.

Anyways, what happened to the OP could have easily happened to me today on my way home from work. The DC/MD/VA beltway has speed limit of an absurd 55 mph, yet cars usually exceed 80 when traffic permits. It has nothing to do with safety or saving fuel, rather another means of siphoning more $$$ from VA citizens.
Michaeljh2000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #64
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljh2000 View Post
So you bought one of the fastest, most expensive cars made yet always drive within the posted speed limit? If you really do, then what a waste of such a fine automobile.

Anyways, what happened to the OP could have easily happened to me today on my way home from work. The DC/MD/VA beltway has speed limit of an absurd 55 mph, yet cars usually exceed 80 when traffic permits. It has nothing to do with safety or saving fuel, rather another means of siphoning more $$$ from VA citizens.
I keep forgetting that not everyone is capable of abstract thought.
gblansten is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST