BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

12-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
His name is andrew flusche(google him) (http://www.andrewflusche.com/) tell him alex from ny recommended him, he helped me out, no kidding Virginia is serious, they'll throw you in jail, va is the only state I know of that is that serious about the driving laws, let me know of you need anything else, his number is in that link, I also believe reckless driving charge makes you automatically. Need an attorney
      12-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #24
exVtekGuy
Enlisted Member

Drives: none yet

Get a lawyer for sure. I've been to fairfax county court and they are ruthless. I've seen people show up without a lawyer for reckless driving charge and end up in the jail. good luck!
      12-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker

Drives: M3 and a truck

I also have a friend who is an attorney in NOVA, traffic is his specialty, pm if you want his info
dcgolfdr is offline   United_States
      12-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #26
JohnnyRoaster
Captain

Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Virginia and Maryland are both very serious about traffic laws. Did the cop write you a speeding ticket or just the reckless driving?
      12-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
SchnellM3
Digger

Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post
What is it with this forum and people's inability to type proper English?

OP: If you appeal the ticket and go before a magistrate (this is how speeding tickets are handled in Pennsylvania) the officer will have to prove his charge. Claims such as "doing this for 20yrs and can tell how fast a car is going by just looking at it" will not hold up in a court of law.

I personally would not waste money on a lawyer in this situation. I would also ensure that I didn't say anything incriminating when discussing the charge. An example would be that you don't remember how fast you were going exactly but you do typically follow posted speed limits.

Grammar has taken a back seat lately, I guess no one proof reads anything before submitting it.

Here in Pa its pretty easy to fight and win with no lawyers, I've only had 2 encounters with officers that had the "Badge Ego" but won on both cases and reduced to non moving violations with no points. 3111 (A) catchall FTW

In Virginia where everything is screwy and the nature of the offense you were written up for, its probably in your best interest to get one.

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....

Last edited by SchnellM3; 12-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.
SchnellM3 is offline   United_States
      12-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #28
snowmants
Captain

Drives: '97 S14, '08 E90 M3, '11JeepGC

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
lawyer up.

"In the NASA 2012 rules just released, double clutch transmissions are officially +6 points."
snowmants is offline   United_States
      12-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #29
Andreas13
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 M3 coupe comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
FYI, officers CAN be deemed to be able to judge speed without a radar or other device. I've been to court over it before. Judge certified that this specific officer was able to determine speed without any other aids.
I'm with you in this one... It happened to me. Get a lawyer, that's Ur only way out.
      12-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #30
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
FYI, officers CAN be deemed to be able to judge speed without a radar or other device. I've been to court over it before. Judge certified that this specific officer was able to determine speed without any other aids.
True enough - I got nailed for 20 over years ago in NC. Trooper was going in the opposite direction. Got a lawyer after I was told NC State Troopers have calibrated eye balls. I got off with a fix it ticket to get my speedo calibrated. & a lawyer bill. Maybe a ticket for under 10 over...it was a long time ago.
Moxie is offline   Germany
      12-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #31
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici

Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Good choice.

I just fought a reckless (careless in PA) and had it knocked down to failure to obey a traffic device or something like that. No points and a $120 fine. Lawyer cost a grand, though and I missed a day of work. Very very expensive; and the cop even admitted he was having a bad day when he wrote me.

I get pulled over about twice a year and get points about 1 out of 4 times. I can't afford to lose my license, so a lawyer is good insurance if there is any doubt.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
      12-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #32
SchnellM3
Digger

Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Good choice.

I just fought a reckless (careless in PA) and had it knocked down to failure to obey a traffic device or something like that. No points and a $120 fine. Lawyer cost a grand, though and I missed a day of work. Very very expensive; and the cop even admitted he was having a bad day when he wrote me.

I get pulled over about twice a year and get points about 1 out of 4 times. I can't afford to lose my license, so a lawyer is good insurance if there is any doubt.
You got the 3111 (A) too, nice thing about those is that they don't show on your driving record

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
SchnellM3 is offline   United_States
      12-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #33
RichMattB
Private First Class

Drives: e90 ///M3, e70 X5 4.8i

3111(a) is a "moving" violation as opposed to an equipment violation. Just bear that in mind in case it comes up with your insurance company.
RichMattB is offline   United_States
      12-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #34
Powerslide
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E93 M3 - SSII/Black, MDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Do you have any priors? If not, I would not waste money on a lawyer initially. Just go before the judge and claim you weren't speeding and that you have a clean record, if the cop even shows up at all. If for some reason that dosen't work, appeal and get a lawyer.
Don't do that - whatever evidence is admitted at trial without you raising a proper objection and getting the evidence properly stricken cannot be undone by the appellate court - so waiting to get a lawyer until then would likely be too late. Either spend the money on a lawyer up front or roll the dice and hope for the best...
Powerslide is offline   United_States
      12-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #35
serranot
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by untappedguru View Post
It seems like this could go either way … I am not taking any chances so I am getting a lawyer
I haven’t had a speeding ticket in over 8 years.

Paging Studntloan Lieutenant Colonel Can you please send me your lawyer infor … I can’t remember what court it’s in… don’t have the ticket with me. I cannot use PM function because of msg below
“Thank you for verifying your account. In order to use the PM system, you will have to have 5 posts under your belt and wait 24-48 hours after the 5th post before your account is upgraded."

Thanks again all …will let you know the update.
Post some more then PM me. I will send you the name of a good lawyer in NoVA with whom I have worked.
      12-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #36
typeE92

Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by untappedguru View Post
Hi All,
Lurked for ages, forgive me my first post is about ranting …
I get right to it
Got pulled over this evening, office says I saw how fast you were going, he didn’t get me on speed trap or anything, say he has been doing this for 20yrs and can tell how fast a car is going by just looking at it. I said okay, figured point trying to make my case. Office has made up his mind and is gonna give it to me.
Nway he gets my DL walks away, comes back with sign this I got you for reckless driving.
Is this legal?
My side of the story …. Off course I wasn’t driving reckless I was going with traffic
I intend to fight this ticket, this is ludicrous!!!

Thanks for your input, and if anyone knows a good lawyer in Northern VA, that would be very helpful.
I don't believe you were driving reckless! But you never listed the speed limit or how fast you were traveling? That has some relevance to the conversation.
      12-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #37
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
There's always two sides to a story. Not going to jump out there and call you a liar, but we all have no idea how fast you were actually going. I laugh at the people here who automatically side with you without knowing any of the facts... I'd rather not take sides, since I wasn't there to witness what happened.

Reckless is a serious charge, and I don't think cops give it out like candy because in all honesty it would be a waste of their time too if they knew it would be shot down so easily. IMO, unless he was just being a complete and total asshole (which is totally possible), you were doing SOMETHING wrong, whether it was weaving in and out of lanes, speeding, etc.

Either way, this is going to cost you, so get a lawyer.
      12-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #38
Nine
Banned

Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Virginia and Maryland are both very serious about traffic laws. Did the cop write you a speeding ticket or just the reckless driving?
IIRC, Virginia has harsher laws, I remember for a while, speeds over 80mph = jail. And, speeding fines were $1000+, some guy went to court for some huge ticket ~3-4k.
      12-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #39
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.

Drives: around all the retirees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
It's your money my friend - and I wish you the best - in my opinion reckless driving is a serious enough charge to warrant the expense of hiring a lawyer... Good luck!

This.

When you beat a charge that can cost almost twice what a lawyer costs, it feels pretty freaking good. And you will.
-Paul, BMWCCA #447670
2007 E63 M6 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Borla Catback / Matte Black Grilles
Planned: MTEC V3 LED Angel Eyes / Black RPI Scoops / Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
J-9 is offline   No_Country
      12-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #40
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
he must have been going over 80, anything over 80 is reckless driving in va, anything over 100 is a guarenteed 2 days in jail for every mile over, they can still throw you in for under 100, lawyer up bud, my attorney was 500 down there
      12-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #41
rhouck
Registered

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Reckless is a serious charge, and I don't think cops give it out like candy because in all honesty it would be a waste of their time too if they knew it would be shot down so easily. IMO, unless he was just being a complete and total asshole (which is totally possible), you were doing SOMETHING wrong, whether it was weaving in and out of lanes, speeding, etc.
That logic does not apply in VA. They have four lane freeways that are 55mph and anything 20+ (or 80mph and above if it happens to be a higher limit) is AUTOMATICALLY reckless.

And the cops are assholes in VA and will throw the book at you. So yes, they do "give it out like candy". It is pure revenue generation. Take a look at the legislation they tried to pass a few years past that would absolutely RAPE people if they had any points on their license for years to come (yes, it was pushed by a lawyer who does traffic defense...).

VA is a sharp contrast to ANY of the surrounding states (and really any other state in the country that I have driven in... which is a lot). I actually refused to live in the state largely based on their traffic enforcement.

OP--

FWIW, I had a estimated speed reckless several years back there. Hired a lawyer ($600) and it was reduced to something like "Improper Driving" or something generic like that (only 1 point). The lawyer was easy, I didn't even have to show up. I can't remember what the fine/costs were, but fairly low. It is still to do this date the only blemish I have ever had on my record. Pay for a lawyer (consider it just a big expensive ticket) and try to avoid driving in VA.
rhouck is offline   United_States
      12-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #42
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
That logic does not apply in VA. They have four lane freeways that are 55mph and anything 20+ (or 80mph and above if it happens to be a higher limit) is AUTOMATICALLY reckless.

And the cops are assholes in VA and will throw the book at you. So yes, they do "give it out like candy". It is pure revenue generation. Take a look at the legislation they tried to pass a few years past that would absolutely RAPE people if they had any points on their license for years to come (yes, it was pushed by a lawyer who does traffic defense...).

VA is a sharp contrast to ANY of the surrounding states (and really any other state in the country that I have driven in... which is a lot). I actually refused to live in the state largely based on their traffic enforcement.

OP--

FWIW, I had a estimated speed reckless several years back there. Hired a lawyer ($600) and it was reduced to something like "Improper Driving" or something generic like that (only 1 point). The lawyer was easy, I didn't even have to show up. I can't remember what the fine/costs were, but fairly low. It is still to do this date the only blemish I have ever had on my record. Pay for a lawyer (consider it just a big expensive ticket) and try to avoid driving in VA.
Oh I know about VA, I was stationed there for a while. Set my speed warning to 79 just in case I ever started daydreaming and wasn't watching my speed. I feel ya on this one, but I've never run into a VA State Trooper that said "I saw how fast you were going." They usually always have the proof to back up their claims. Did the OP say he was driving in VA? I just saw his location as midatlantic and assumed it could be anywhere from PA down to SC... My bad if it was in VA.
      12-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #43
Nautik
Captain

Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

GET A LAWYER. Don't risk it...

The same type thing happened to me in Leesburg VA (Loudoun County). Wife is driving my car with me in it coming back from a party through downtown Leesburg. We are passing across Route 7 from a stoplight. A jeep SRT8 is next to us with some modded exhaust making a lot of noise. My wife passes the jeep on the left doing approximately 40 mph. I remind her the speed limit is 35 and the Leesburg Police are essentially criminals. As soon as I say that, a Leesburg patrol car comes flying up behind us. Anyway long story short he accuses her of racing. She laughs at him for making a ridiculous claim. He then decides he might not be able to stick that one, then writes a ticket for "Reckless: General" which basically states (paraphrased), "Anyone driving in a reckless manner shall be guilty of Reckless: General". Completely stupid. The officer flat out lied. She was guilty of doing maybe 5mph over at worst.

Best part: I pay the lawyer get it reduced to improper driving (wife is a teacher, I don't want a MISDEMEANOR offense on her record). But the officer insists on the maximum fine. We finally agree to it just to get this over with. Money isn't really an issue anyway, record is. My lawyer asks the officer later why he was so insistent on the max fine. His answer "because it was a BMW".

NoVA has some of the WORST and most CORRUPT police in the entire country. Not all of them, some of them are great and I have a huge amount of respect for the good ones. But the bad apples here are BAD and need to be imprisoned. It's a stain on our State and community, just embarrassing. Sorry you had to deal with this.
      12-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #44
Ateam
Banned

Drives: M3

Why is this so prevelent in VA?