BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
DOCTOR 3VIL
Private First Class
United_States
6
Rep
179
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Ask an Endodontist (Root canal specialist) anything!

I always enjoy the threads about "ask a car salesmen anything" or "ask an OBGYN anything". I find them very helpful and educational. So I asked myself why not create a similar thread about root canals. Endodontists are dentist that have 2-3 years of extra training in the field of root canals. I think root canals have gotten a bad rap. Some of my female patients have gone as far as saying that they would rather give birth than get a root canal Without exaggerating I can tell you that >95% of my patients don't feel any pain once they are numb. Most of them have actually fallen asleep during the procedure.
This is in no way an advertisement for me. I am not going to reveal my name or the location of my practice. Just wanted to help out my forum members.

So ask away.....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,296
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Have you ever had a patient that had issues with the general full body anasthesia and had issues snapping out of it to the point of an ER trip? If not what are some measures other than finger oxygen meters that you guys take as a precaution in case if there ever was any trouble?
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
iBoost
Brigadier General
iBoost's Avatar
49
Rep
3,041
Posts

 
Drives: real slow
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

My root canal experience was horrible!! Had two done at the same time and then 1 got infected again about a year ago and that was a bad experience too!

Now my ? to you, if any of mine get infected again do you recommend just pulling it out?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
61
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

I think I would go for an implant over a root canal, why have twice the work done?
__________________
The journey is the reward.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Blayne
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: Escalade
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR 3VIL View Post
I always enjoy the threads about "ask a car salesmen anything" or "ask an OBGYN anything". I find them very helpful and educational. So I asked myself why not create a similar thread about root canals. Endodontists are dentist that have 2-3 years of extra training in the field of root canals. I think root canals have gotten a bad rap. Some of my female patients have gone as far as saying that they would rather give birth than get a root canal Without exaggerating I can tell you that >95% of my patients don't feel any pain once they are numb. Most of them have actually fallen asleep during the procedure.
This is in no way an advertisement for me. I am not going to reveal my name or the location of my practice. Just wanted to help out my forum members.

So ask away.....
I should be accepted to dental school pretty soon if all goes well and even now people always laugh and crack jokes bout how I'm not gonna be a real doctor (ever since the hangover movie). Does this bother you at all? Cause we both know who makes more
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
DOCTOR 3VIL
Private First Class
United_States
6
Rep
179
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Most root canals are done with regular Novocaine (BTW, this is technically not true anymore. Novocaine isn't used is a liquid anesthesia anymore due to allergic reactions. It's mainly used in the topical gel that is placed on the tissue before numbing).
If patients request to be completely sedated then I have a dental anesthesiologist that comes to my office. He does his thing and I do mine. We never do general anesthesia (unless we are at a hospital setting), it's usually IV sedation (patient still breathes on their own).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Sara504
Banned
United_States
353
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Would a root canal save a tooth with resorbtion?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,296
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR 3VIL View Post
Most root canals are done with regular Novocaine (BTW, this is technically not true anymore. Novocaine isn't used is a liquid anesthesia anymore due to allergic reactions. It's mainly used in the topical gel that is placed on the tissue before numbing).
If patients request to be completely sedated then I have a dental anesthesiologist that comes to my office. He does his thing and I do mine. We never do general anesthesia (unless we are at a hospital setting), it's usually IV sedation (patient still breathes on their own).
Thanks for the answer. I only ask because I had all of my wisdom teeth pulled at once; one time and had to have IV sedation; I was always worried something might happen with that. There was a nurse there though and I was hooked up to a finger blood oxygen meter.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
choicez
Major
choicez's Avatar
53
Rep
1,068
Posts

 
Drives: you mad
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA

iTrader: (13)

I had a root canal done last year and it was the most painless procedure done ever at the dentist office. Even the recovery was painless. I was scared reading about it but I was relieved afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
DOCTOR 3VIL
Private First Class
United_States
6
Rep
179
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
My root canal experience was horrible!! Had two done at the same time and then 1 got infected again about a year ago and that was a bad experience too!
Now my ? to you, if any of mine get infected again do you recommend just pulling it out?
That's a very difficult question to answer without having any x-rays or a history of what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
I think I would go for an implant over a root canal, why have twice the work done?
Keeping your natural tooth is much better than an implant. Implants are great when they are needed but I rather keep my own tooth if I had a choice. Keep in mind that nothing in dentistry or medicine is 100% effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
I should be accepted to dental school pretty soon if all goes well and even now people always laugh and crack jokes bout how I'm not gonna be a real doctor (ever since the hangover movie). Does this bother you at all? Cause we both know who makes more
It doesn't bother me at all. I love what I do. Dentistry is not easy but I would choose it over medicine.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
61
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR 3VIL View Post
That's a very difficult question to answer without having any x-rays or a history of what happened.

Keeping your natural tooth is much better than an implant. Implants are great when they are needed but I rather keep my own tooth if I had a choice. Keep in mind that nothing in dentistry or medicine is 100% effective.


It doesn't bother me at all. I love what I do. Dentistry is not easy but I would choose it over medicine.
How long can a tooth with a root canal last if it was properly done?
__________________
The journey is the reward.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
DOCTOR 3VIL
Private First Class
United_States
6
Rep
179
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Would a root canal save a tooth with resorbtion?
Depends on the amount of resorbtion. If the resorbtion has perforated the tooth then the prognosis is much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
I had a root canal done last year and it was the most painless procedure done ever at the dentist office. Even the recovery was painless. I was scared reading about it but I was relieved afterwards.
Thank you for that. Most treatments when done correctly are painless much like a filling.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
DOCTOR 3VIL
Private First Class
United_States
6
Rep
179
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
How long can a tooth with a root canal last if it was properly done?
It can last until the end of your life.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
61
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR 3VIL View Post
It can last until the end of your life.
Thanks for info.

I guess I would go for the RC then.
__________________
The journey is the reward.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
Sara504
Banned
United_States
353
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR 3VIL View Post
Depends on the amount of resorbtion. If the resorbtion has perforated the tooth then the prognosis is much worse.

Thank you for that. Most treatments when done correctly are painless much like a filling.
Can I PM you my xray?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
RedBarron
First Lieutenant
16
Rep
368
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

It cracks me up that your user name is doctor evil! haha
__________________

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
choicez
Major
choicez's Avatar
53
Rep
1,068
Posts

 
Drives: you mad
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Can I PM you my xray?
If I told you that I was a nude photographer, would you PM me your n00ds?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #18
Blayne
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: Escalade
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Serious question now actually. Why did you choose to specialize in Endo? Couldn't you have just stayed as a general dentist and learn it on your own without having to be restricted to that one area. When I become a dentist I want to do a lot of implants, but don't want to particularly be specialized in oral surgery (periodontist) as I don't want to be restricted to this area. So in turn I would just stay as a general dentist and still do implants. I know a lot of dentists that have done this and are VERY successful. Though, I also know this is frowned upon by some and the specialist are fighting to get this changed. So my question is i guess, what really are the advantages of specializing in a specific area as I may change my mind and go this route.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
DOCTOR 3VIL
Private First Class
United_States
6
Rep
179
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Can I PM you my xray?
Sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarron View Post
It cracks me up that your user name is doctor evil! haha


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
Serious question now actually. Why did you choose to specialize in Endo? Couldn't you have just stayed as a general dentist and learn it on your own without having to be restricted to that one area. When I become a dentist I want to do a lot of implants, but don't want to particularly be specialized in oral surgery (periodontist) as I don't want to be restricted to this area. So in turn I would just stay as a general dentist and still do implants. I know a lot of dentists that have done this and are VERY successful. Though, I also know this is frowned upon by some and the specialist are fighting to get this changed. So my question is i guess, what really are the advantages of specializing in a specific area as I may change my mind and go this route.
. True that I could have learned more about root canals by myself but I would never have reached the level of an Endodontist had I not gone to post-grad school. It is very possible to do root canals (as a general dentist) at the level of an Endodontist but it would be very difficult to go through all the literature and training on your own.
And I don't like doing crown, filling, cleanings....

Last edited by DOCTOR 3VIL; 12-12-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
iBoost
Brigadier General
iBoost's Avatar
49
Rep
3,041
Posts

 
Drives: real slow
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Another couple questions about your career:
How many years do you have total invested in school?
How much were you making fresh out of school vs now and is there a lot more area to improve income?
Do you have your own practice or employed?

Last edited by iBoost; 12-12-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
matthewk
Private First Class
matthewk's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Do you do invisilign? What's your take on dentists basically offering orthodontic services? My orthodontist friends, let me preface this by saying they aren't losing business to this, think it's a horrible idea. A lot like handing over a laser eye machine to an optometrist without additional training?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
mact3333
Captain
mact3333's Avatar
41
Rep
781
Posts

 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW

iTrader: (1)

For a standard root canal, if someone going to pay cash, what is the lowest you would be willing to do a root canal for???...many doc's will negotiate now.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ihatethedentist

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST