BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #111
driersheets
Banned
1
Rep
181
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: in your drier

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioaltec View Post
So you are saying that it is ok to allow anyone, even your friend to disrespect you in such a profound way that exceeds the morality of common courtesy for ones personal property? If it was anything else besides a car, whose value and possible sentimental value exceeds much more than you could imagine, than it would probably be considered as a joke. However it wasnt, your talking about a car that costs 40k and up. You clearly have to be a spineless person who seldomly allows others to walk all over you and your personal belongings in the name of a "friendship" or a brat who was raised to not value what you own.
its a washable marker...calm down
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #112
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
vioaltec's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
232
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driersheets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vioaltec View Post
So you are saying that it is ok to allow anyone, even your friend to disrespect you in such a profound way that exceeds the morality of common courtesy for ones personal property? If it was anything else besides a car, whose value and possible sentimental value exceeds much more than you could imagine, than it would probably be considered as a joke. However it wasnt, your talking about a car that costs 40k and up. You clearly have to be a spineless person who seldomly allows others to walk all over you and your personal belongings in the name of a "friendship" or a brat who was raised to not value what you own.
its a washable marker...calm down
That's not the point and it doesn't matter if it's washable marker, it's utterly rude and disrespectful.
__________________
Vivre, Aimer et Voler
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #113
driersheets
Banned
1
Rep
181
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: in your drier

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioaltec View Post
That's not the point and it doesn't matter if it's washable marker, it's utterly rude and disrespectful.
not really.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #114
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
68
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
The front was clever. It obviously took time and likely wouldn’t have done anything to the clear coat as it would have been done gently, assuming the ink doesn’t do damage.

The back looks like it was much more haphazardly and could have scratch the clear coat doing damage.

Personally, I wouldn’t have done it unless I was confident it would do zero damage to the car (ie tested on my car and likely thrown a quick coat of wax on for the spot I did the markering to ensure the car was protected).

I am confident that all those folks saying “don’t mess with someone’s car, period” say this thinking worst case scenario as it relates to damage to the paint/clear coat.

I am sure that any reasonable person would find this very entertaining if there is a guarantee that zero damage would be done. However, I have a feeling that the individual that did this probably doesn’t even understand how the ink could affect the clear coat or paint, let alone to know that you can damage the clear coat with something as simple as a marker. Hence why some folks have such a strong opinion against this prank.

Now some may say, who gives a shit about a scratch in the clear coat. Well there are those folks out there, and unless you are prepared to make whole something you damaged, you should be aware of others feelings about their propriety.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #115
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
142
Rep
4,765
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Lol people in this thread need to lighten up. It's between friends and was done with washable marker, not an exacto knife. The countdown bit had me rolling.
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #116
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
Gregxi's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the crapper

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
The front was clever. It obviously took time and likely wouldn’t have done anything to the clear coat as it would have been done gently, assuming the ink doesn’t do damage.

The back looks like it was much more haphazardly and could have scratch the clear coat doing damage.

Personally, I wouldn’t have done it unless I was confident it would do zero damage to the car (ie tested on my car and likely thrown a quick coat of wax on for the spot I did the markering to ensure the car was protected).

I am confident that all those folks saying “don’t mess with someone’s car, period” say this thinking worst case scenario as it relates to damage to the paint/clear coat.

I am sure that any reasonable person would find this very entertaining if there is a guarantee that zero damage would be done. However, I have a feeling that the individual that did this probably doesn’t even understand how the ink could affect the clear coat or paint, let alone to know that you can damage the clear coat with something as simple as a marker. Hence why some folks have such a strong opinion against this prank.

Now some may say, who gives a shit about a scratch in the clear coat. Well there are those folks out there, and unless you are prepared to make whole something you damaged, you should be aware of others feelings about their propriety.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #117
abisson
Canada FTW.
abisson's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 GTI MKVI
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple Syrup Country

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioaltec View Post
So you are saying that it is ok to allow anyone, even your friend to disrespect you in such a profound way that exceeds the morality of common courtesy for ones personal property? If it was anything else besides a car, whose value and possible sentimental value exceeds much more than you could imagine, than it would probably be considered as a joke. However it wasnt, your talking about a car that costs 40k and up. You clearly have to be a spineless person who seldomly allows others to walk all over you and your personal belongings in the name of a "friendship" or a brat who was raised to not value what you own.
You need to calm the fuck down.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #118
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
68
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
What do you need clarificaiton with greg?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #119
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
Gregxi's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the crapper

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
What do you need clarificaiton with greg?
How do you damage clear coat with a dry erase marker?

That is what they used, a dry erase marker.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #120
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
68
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Most cars are dusty, if not dirty on the back. The felt tip will collect dust and slowly become wet sandpaper. From the pic, that back looks like it has something filthy on the lid, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #121
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
Gregxi's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the crapper

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
Most cars are dusty, if not dirty on the back. The felt tip will collect dust and slowly become wet sandpaper. From the pic, that back looks like it has something filthy on the lid, but who knows.
condensation?

Did you type that with a straight face?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #122
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
68
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
My guess was that the person that did this, didn’t consider the possible effects of using a marker on a car, but I don’t know. You asked how a marker could scratch clear coat, which I explained. I have grown bored of this thread, so thanks for the distraction from work. Have a great holidays.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #123
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Small Yellow's Avatar
Taiwan
25
Rep
779
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
My guess was that the person that did this, didn’t consider the possible effects of using a marker on a car, but I don’t know. You asked how a marker could scratch clear coat, which I explained. I have grown bored of this thread, so thanks for the distraction from work. Have a great holidays.
Mr. Audi washed his car that same day and we did consider the dry erase markers but considered something else because the chemicals in the dry erase marker may be bad for the paint. We used something kind of wax based that comes off easily with water. Basically you can hose it down. It was cold that night and after 3-4hr when we went to check up on it, it was already dripping off, plus it rained the next morning so his car would of already been dirty anyways. The rain washed all of it off.
__________________
BMW ///M3 Coupe
Completed November 16, 2009
Received December 29,2009
BMW //M Coupe
November 4, 2013
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #124
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
480
Rep
5,352
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

lol is this thread still going
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #125
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
Gregxi's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the crapper

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuangYiChao View Post
Mr. Audi washed his car that same day and we did consider the dry erase markers but considered something else because the chemicals in the dry erase marker may be bad for the paint. We used something kind of wax based that comes off easily with water. Basically you can hose it down. It was cold that night and after 3-4hr when we went to check up on it, it was already dripping off, plus it rained the next morning so his car would of already been dirty anyways. The rain washed all of it off.
I always believed in you
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST