BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM Sport

12-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
midlifecrisis
Captain

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - IB/ExBB

How many of you are not CCA members?

I'm involved in the local CCA chapter here in NJ, and I'm wondering how many of the US based participants on this board are not members.

How about it? Are you a member of the CCA and - if not, why not?

I'm also curious to know if you bought your car new, did your CA tell you about club membership when you bought the car or at any time since? If they didn't and they expect to sell you another car someday, you should have a talk with them. They've failed to tell you how you can save some money on your next purchase.

Members know the benefits - from the $500-$1,500 rebate from BMW on new car purchases to getting Roundel every month. Many dealers also give parts discounts to CCA members, and the club has an ombundsman program for problem resolution. Club chapters also host a veriety of events from tours to driver schools to autocrosses where you can test the limits of your car in a safe environment.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to find ways to increase my chapter's membership and the reasons for membership seem obvious to me, especially for people who have enough interest in their cars to participate in this forum. It would be helpful for me to know why people don't join.

Thanks.
1991 325iX (sold - gone but not forgotten!)
2014 X5 35d (Performance Center delivery May '14)
      12-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Prophizee
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

I actually live in jersey but I am not a cca member. Def am interested in coming one.
Prophizee is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Poofyo101
Major

Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm a member.
      12-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
mamadub
Captain

Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Hi. I am a member. My SA did not mention a thing about CCA, I bought my car new and did not get a discount. I'm kind of angry about that! A member on this site suggested I join and even sent me a link to my local chapter. I joined right away and I'm happy I did. As a female, not many people understand my passion for my car....until I walked into my first chapter meeting last month. Everybody there was so willing to answer questions for me and listen to me talk about my car like I'm the first person to ever own one! I highly suggest everyone to join their local chapter.

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
mamadub is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Doc V.
Private

Drives: Porsche 964 Turbo

Genesee Valley Chapter BMW CCA member
      12-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
midlifecrisis
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
I actually live in jersey but I am not a cca member. Def am interested in coming one.
We'd welcome you! Just go to www.bmwcca.org and sign up. Use my name and number as a referral if you don't already know someone. (Larry Engel #272557.) Look me up if you come to a meeting or driving event!
      12-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Darth One
Former yr 1of1 owner

Drives: SGM E90

I think that if the events don't appeal to you, it's hard to find a compelling reason to join. the car purchase discount is great, but I don't think people say, oh let me sign up for a $48 membership because I plan on buying a car in a year and I'll get $500 or so back. financially it makes total sense but people just don't plan that far ahead.

I finally signed up because I plan on doing some performance driving schools and the 15% discount makes the membership more than worthwhile.

also it can be intimidating for someone to just join and show up to an event where everyone's pretty well established and you're the noob trying to fit in or you dont know what to expect. maybe have a contingent attend local car meets and shows so prospective members can get to know you on neutral ground, so to speak...or organize meets for locals on this forum...hth
Darth One is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
midlifecrisis
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I think that if the events don't appeal to you, it's hard to find a compelling reason to join. the car purchase discount is great, but I don't think people say, oh let me sign up for a $48 membership because I plan on buying a car in a year and I'll get $500 or so back. financially it makes total sense but people just don't plan that far ahead.

I finally signed up because I plan on doing some performance driving schools and the 15% discount makes the membership more than worthwhile.

also it can be intimidating for someone to just join and show up to an event where everyone's pretty well established and you're the noob trying to fit in or you dont know what to expect. maybe have a contingent attend local car meets and shows so prospective members can get to know you on neutral ground, so to speak...or organize meets for locals on this forum...hth
Thanks for the feedback. I had a lot of the same reservations about meeting new people. No question, the chapters need to welcome newbies with open arms. I know we try to. Maybe we should try harder. Good idea on the "neutral ground" thing, too.

As for the monetary benefits, I wonder how many people chisel their SA for every last dime but don't join the club. Totally irrational!
      12-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86

Garage List
I am a member. I joined a few months after buying my first BMW in 2008. Roundel magazine is a good publication.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
CBS
Major

Drives: F10 535, E90 M3, E30 M3

Garage List
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [4.88]
2008 X5  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [5.00]
OP: Great Question!!!!

I am a member and have been for many years - Pocono Chapter. I am now working on my Kids since I just bought them their first car, 328xi.

I have received the BMW CCA rebate on several cars but the SA never mentioned the Club to me and I have purchased from 3 BMW Dealerships. I attend Club Events and BMW Driving Schools. I love the Roundel Magazine and I am blessed to have their Tech Writer, Mike Miller live nearby (great guy and willing to help with anything BMW). I guess you would say I am "the devoted".

I have yet to attend a National Oktoberfest but am looking forward to arranging a caravan to one someday.

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R6 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
CBS is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
Hi. I am a member. My SA did not mention a thing about CCA, I bought my car new and did not get a discount. I'm kind of angry about that!
Don't be angry about it, the car discount doesn't kick in until you've been a member for a year; it's not like one of those "Sign up for our membership card and get a discount on the purchase you're making right now!" promotions you find in retail stores.

Quote:
I think that if the events don't appeal to you, it's hard to find a compelling reason to join. also it can be intimidating for someone to just join and show up to an event where everyone's pretty well established and you're the noob trying to fit in or you dont know what to expect. maybe have a contingent attend local car meets and shows so prospective members can get to know you on neutral ground, so to speak...or organize meets for locals on this forum...hth
I understand both of those points, but I showed up anyway and I'm glad I did, because the Tejas Chapter has become one of my favorite (and definitely least expected) perks of ownership, and someday it might just make the difference between me sticking with BMW rather than switching brands. In terms of meeting new people, I was especially unsure when I pulled up to my first meeting and noticed that the average membership age is around 50-55; I'm 25. But that disappeared within minutes, and over the course of that event at least 6 people went out of their way to come over to me and say, "You must be new here, I'm so-and-so," and we proceeded to have great conversations. I felt right at home in no time. Maybe that's just southern hospitality that doesn't apply everywhere, but I strongly encourage people to investigate their local chapter.

As far as the events themselves, even though I tend to prefer higher-performance driving (Back Country roads here, track weekends, etc) and that's not what the Tejas Chapter does, I've found that sometimes just cruising at near-freeway speeds along fabulous roads and stopping at interesting places can be a lot of fun too. For some reason caravaning is cool just for making you feel like part of a group, and I've found at least in the Tejas Chapter there are lots of great people to talk to about BMWs and all manner of other things. I've now been to almost every event since I joined back in May and I actually coordinated the November event, which went pretty well.

But honestly even if you're not interested in any of that, join CCA. The Roundel subscription ALONE justifies the membership cost.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 12-10-2011 at 10:17 AM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I've known about it but have just never pulled the trigger on it.
      12-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
saeyedoc
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera

I joined after buying a new '08 335, found about it on here, SA never mentioned it. I joined in case I decided to buy another BMW.
Have not done anything with the local chapter, enjoy reading Roundel though.
Just bought a M3 last month, SA never mentioned it, nor did I. Got the refund check this week!
May check out the local chapter it they have a track event.
I've done several things with the Porsche club since buying one in July.
      12-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
saeyedoc
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
In terms of meeting new people, I was especially unsure when I pulled up to my first meeting and noticed that the average membership age is around 50-55; I'm 25. But that disappeared within minutes, and over the course of that event at least 6 people went out of their way to come over to me and say, "You must be new here, I'm so-and-so," and we proceeded to have great conversations. I felt right at home in no time. Maybe that's just southern hospitality that doesn't apply everywhere, but I strongly encourage people to investigate their local chapter.

You think that's old, the average age at the Longhorn PCA meetings must be 65! We did meet a few cool people though, actually going out to dinner tonight with a couple.
With BMW's being so ubiquitous around here, are there large turnouts at meetings?
We should start an M club if there isn't one already, keep the riffraf out lol.
      12-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
You think that's old, the average age at the Longhorn PCA meetings must be 65! We did meet a few cool people though, actually going out to dinner tonight with a couple.
With BMW's being so ubiquitous around here, are there large turnouts at meetings?
We should start an M club if there isn't one already, keep the riffraf out lol.
I'm not surprised PCA meetings have higher age averages because the cars are more expensive on average. We usually get about 40-65 people attending each event, so it's not bad. A lot of them are regulars so you can actually build friendships with people, i.e. it's not always a different group of 65 each time.

I'm not sure how successful an M Club would be, at least with the existing membership. I guess it might attract a different group with different interests, but one of the things I noticed first and still like most about the CCA group is that there's absolutely no snobbery. It's never about who has the fastest, newest, or most expensive car; it's just a bunch of good people who happen to enjoy driving BMWs and talking about all sorts of things meeting up to go have some fun on a Saturday.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Just joined!
      12-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
blackbeast535
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 M3 6MT Jerez Black

I'm a member of the National Capital Chapter.

E90 M3 Jerez Black/Bamboo Beige 6MT - BMW CCA
Dinan Rear Exhaust, Secondary Cat Delete, Dinan High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake, IND Painted Reflectors, BMW Edition Grills
blackbeast535 is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
Darth One
Former yr 1of1 owner

Drives: SGM E90

it's good to read stories like jphughan and saeyedoc's. hopefully inactive members read them and that gets them to attend their first meeting. counting myself in that number.

I haven't joined PCA yet either...
Darth One is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #19
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

My dealer did not tell me about CCA. The CCA pamphlet was part of my welcome kit however. I'm aware of the benefits of membership, what's keeping me from joining is the combination of usefulness of the membership and cost.

It may be something I consider down the line, but:
I'm not in the market for another BMW probably for at least another 7-10 years, no need for discount.
I don't buy enough parts for the car now to justify the discount based on initial costs of membership.
My local CCA leader generally forwards the local guys all CCA events and meet info, so the meet-and-greet part of it isn't that exclusive, I understand the point of CCA is not to be exclusive anyways, but I generally don't go anyways.
If I join, I want to do the lifetime membership (based on cost), but I'm not sure if I'll even buy another M3 after this, I love cars too much to only stick with 1 make and model.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      12-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
Doc V.
Private

Drives: Porsche 964 Turbo

Quote:
I haven't joined PCA yet either...
I've been a PCA member for over 18 years. In many ways, the benefits of PCA membership are comparable to the benefits of BMW CCA membership.

Join one organization or the other--but preferably both!
      12-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #21
sharkswin
Enlisted Member

Drives: To The Net

recently rejoined after a 11 year lapse and not once in all of my trips to a BMW dealer has an SA told me about the rebate, a cca member told me about this recently which is one reason why i rejoined. have read Roundel here and there over the years and it is a great magazine. hope to make it to an oktoberfest one day.
sharkswin is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Lifetime member.
It's a great organization and totally worth the price.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."