BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Ateam
Banned
17

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA


Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (0)

painting exhaust can while on car-no problem

So I posted in recent thread I got a new OEM modded exhaust and painted it black while off my car. Once installed however I realized I wanted a more gloss black to match the tips rather than a flat black (it looked like primer black) and I did not want to take it off again. So despite warnings from many this is REALLY easy to do. I simply put a couple strips of blue tape on my tips and on the pieces of the body under the car-just the edges.

Took a can of high temp 600 degree enamel black. Did not jack my car or anything and simply made a few passes all around the visible portion of the can. 3 rounds with letting it dry in between and now its a nice perfect gloss black that matches my gloss/chrome black OEM tips perfectly.

So if you simply want your can black but dont want the hassle of taking it of, this does the exact same quality of job if you were goin to use spray paint anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
39

 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada


Posts: 2,331
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
So I posted in recent thread I got a new OEM modded exhaust and painted it black while off my car. Once installed however I realized I wanted a more gloss black to match the tips rather than a flat black (it looked like primer black) and I did not want to take it off again. So despite warnings from many this is REALLY easy to do. I simply put a couple strips of blue tape on my tips and on the pieces of the body under the car-just the edges.

Took a can of high temp 600 degree enamel black. Did not jack my car or anything and simply made a few passes all around the visible portion of the can. 3 rounds with letting it dry in between and now its a nice perfect gloss black that matches my gloss/chrome black OEM tips perfectly.

So if you simply want your can black but dont want the hassle of taking it of, this does the exact same quality of job if you were goin to use spray paint anyway.
Ha Ha Ha!!!!
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
J08M3
Major General
United_States
102

 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK


Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
156


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
No way do I buy that you didn't get overspray on something...there's just no way with a can of spray paint.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
zhp2m3
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 LeMans Blue
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SF Bay Area


Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
39

 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada


Posts: 2,331
iTrader: (3)

I bet the op would paint his brake calipers without taking them off the car too. Just mask off the rotors and go to town.

I think maybe I will do my Brembos a different color soon too.... I won't waste time taking them off when I can do just as good a job leaving them on the car
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
64

 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto


Posts: 4,951
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I bet the op would paint his brake calipers without taking them off the car too. Just mask off the rotors and go to town.

I think maybe I will do my Brembos a different color soon too.... I won't waste time taking them off when I can do just as good a job leaving them on the car
Why stop there Jamie - why not paint the rotors too.............
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Ateam
Banned
17

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA


Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (0)

I did not say its not preferable but I had the muffler changed out and got home and only then noticed it was not the black I wanted. No way am I going to change that out myself-need two people or atleast a way to get the car up which I do not have. It was already black everywhere so I agree it would be tough to do if your starting with the silver can since you would have to get every nook and cranny. Since I was working wtih an all black can, spraying a layer of glossier black over it, you could get away with a little area between the tips etc without having to spray there.

How is this any less classy than taking it off and painting it? Black paint is black paint. kudos to anyone who can do something easier and more efficient. I did not care to sand the thing and have a perfect mirror finish-its a muffler and the only thing that is important is having it the right black to blend into the ground and the tips (i have black tips).

Anyway there is not much to overspray-you just bend down and the huge canister is hanging right there-tape the edges of the body, which I did not eve get paint on anyway, tape the tips and just do short passes and cover the visible portions of the muffler. Really not that hard ladies.

I am for simple and efficient. Ill post some pics tomorrow in the daylight for you all to see
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
78

 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI


Posts: 5,539
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I could see this working. The only area you need to mask off is the bottom of the rear bumper.

One problem is how do you get a decent coating since you'll have the hold the can sideways and maybe upside down. But not a huge issue unless your exhaust MUST be painted to perfection.

The biggest issue is you'll have to do this over and over and over. The paint will chip off. I'd rather just pay up and coat it with something that is more durable.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Kyoshi71
Colonel
34

 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York


Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I bet the op would paint his brake calipers without taking them off the car too. Just mask off the rotors and go to town.

I think maybe I will do my Brembos a different color soon too.... I won't waste time taking them off when I can do just as good a job leaving them on the car
This thread reminds me of this "Oldie but Goodie"!!

__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
156


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
This thread reminds me of this "Oldie but Goodie"!!

That's awesome!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I did not say its not preferable but I had the muffler changed out and got home and only then noticed it was not the black I wanted. No way am I going to change that out myself-need two people or atleast a way to get the car up which I do not have. It was already black everywhere so I agree it would be tough to do if your starting with the silver can since you would have to get every nook and cranny. Since I was working wtih an all black can, spraying a layer of glossier black over it, you could get away with a little area between the tips etc without having to spray there.

How is this any less classy than taking it off and painting it? Black paint is black paint. kudos to anyone who can do something easier and more efficient. I did not care to sand the thing and have a perfect mirror finish-its a muffler and the only thing that is important is having it the right black to blend into the ground and the tips (i have black tips).

Anyway there is not much to overspray-you just bend down and the huge canister is hanging right there-tape the edges of the body, which I did not eve get paint on anyway, tape the tips and just do short passes and cover the visible portions of the muffler. Really not that hard ladies.

I am for simple and efficient. Ill post some pics tomorrow in the daylight for you all to see

The funniest part is the second it rains your can will be flat black again! IMO the black can looks like hell. I took 400grit paper and stainless polish to my modded muffler and it looked really clean.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
zhp2m3
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 LeMans Blue
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SF Bay Area


Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)

When the musici started in the video..I thought Justin Timberlake and that other dude from SNL was going to jump in and start rapping
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
78

 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI


Posts: 5,539
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
This thread reminds me of this "Oldie but Goodie"!!

but also ...more and more morons seem to be driving E46s these days...might have to sell mine.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
but also ...more and more morons seem to be driving E46s these days...might have to sell mine.

Thats what happens as things become affordable! lol
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
78

 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI


Posts: 5,539
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Thats what happens as things become affordable! lol
I'll keep my fingers crossed that E46s will become ultra-rare collectors items some day
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #17
Kyoshi71
Colonel
34

 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York


Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
but also .might have to sell mine.
Screw that!! E46s kick ass and always will
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
m33
Banned
United_States
50

 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT


Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

I would love to see some pictures !
I wouldn't think someone who purchased such an expensive car would do such a thing but hey kudos to you for doing so !!
You should do a step by step you tube video in showing people how too black out their tips for under 10 buck Lmfao who knows that shit might take off big !!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST