BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
ashtaron14
First Lieutenant
 
ashtaron14's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: HK

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

Installed Stillen/AP Radi-CAL BBK

Just got the AP Radi-CAL kit installed last week.
6 Piston Fronts with 370mm Disks
4 Piston Rears with 380mm Disks

I'm quite impressed with this kit that Stillen has put together, because they are very easy to modulate while providing quite an aggressive bite the deeper you stab the brake pedal. I've only had time to bed-in the pads and run it for the weekend in the city, so I imagine that it'll get better. I'll give it a more detailed review in about 1-2 tanks of gas later.









__________________
ashtaron14 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,352
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
love the brakes, thanks for sharing!
__________________

EVOLVE BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,775
iTrader: (0)

i would have taken the AP essex setup every day over this... Stillen gives AP a bad name imo as they NOT supplying Ap official kits, they knock them together from their parts bin. i can't lie however, it looks lovely!
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
lkn415
New Member
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SoCal

Posts: 24
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
i would have taken the AP essex setup every day over this... Stillen gives AP a bad name imo as they NOT supplying Ap official kits, they knock them together from their parts bin. i can't lie however, it looks lovely!
^
lkn415 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
 
Semi-Poor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeast USA

Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

Looks great. Stupid question why is there a 10mm difference in rotor size with the rear larger than front.
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe Melbourne RedÖhlins Road & Track, MPE Exhaust, Brembo GT 380 BBK, HRE S104 Wheels, iND Painted License Plate Frame, M3 Painted Rear Badge, BMW M3 Edition Grills & Gills, BMW Aluminum Pedals
Semi-Poor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
dogbone
Second Lieutenant
 
dogbone's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 93 million miles from the Sun

Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
i would have taken the AP essex setup every day over this... Stillen gives AP a bad name imo as they NOT supplying Ap official kits, they knock them together from their parts bin. i can't lie however, it looks lovely!
My direct experience with Stillen does not support this opinion. I have had an AP kit from Stillen on my E90 M3 for over two years and tracked the crap out of it. I've gone through several sets of rotors, many many pad sets and I've dealt directly with Stillen. A few weeks ago, Stillen's shop replaced the inner seals on my front calipers because they were finally done after 70 track days. They've always been straight with me. The calipers are AP, the rotors are AP, the rotor hardware is AP and the brackets are machined by Stillen. To say they cobble them together from spare parts is ridiculous.

I've seen this Radi-Cal at Stillen. It's pretty amazing. The calipers are HUGE. The Radi-Cal rear is basically as large as my AP CP5555 front.

I don't have anything against the Essex kit, but the full Essex kit didn't even exist for our M3 until a couple months ago…..and it's NOTHING like the Radi-Cal. The Essex kit is tried-and-true older race technology---which is great if you're going to track it. The kit has a proven track record for that and the consumables are cheaper. But it has no Bling factor at all--smaller rotors than my AP kit, no paint choices--just matte gray. It's meant to be a workhorse. The Radi-cal is AP's next generation of BBK, and it has a huge bling factor, if that matters to you----huge calipers, huge rotors, HUGE brake pads. It doesn't even fit some 18" rims.

Anyway, I love my [Stillen] AP kit. It's been the most trouble-free and reliable mod on my car---amongst superchargers, suspensions, wheels, exhausts, etc., and the people at Stillen have been very nice to me.
dogbone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
ashtaron14
First Lieutenant
 
ashtaron14's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: HK

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

To be honest I know nothing about the history of Stillen (note my location), but I've had experience with other brake kits on my M3, namely Brembo GT 380mm Kit and Alcon Advantage Extreme 380mm/355mm; I've also had a set of AP 7040 on my VW R32.





I went with this kit because I wanted something that isn't as common here, plus it looked like something new and something different. The Brembo GT for me drove too much like a stock car, I wanted more when I drove spiritedly. The Alcons were lovely because they are a classic name with easy to modulate pedal and good stoppage for driving faster, but they just didn't give much to look at. So here I am today with these brakes. I agree with dogbone, I've never seen calipers this BIG, they are black in color and still look BIG. It was either 390mm or 370mm for the Front Disks, and I don't know why. Rear only comes in 380mm. I went with 370/380 so that I didn't have to change wheels. I still haven't had much time with these, so I won't review them just yet.

Thank you!
__________________
ashtaron14 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #8
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,775
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
My direct experience with Stillen does not support this opinion. I have had an AP kit from Stillen on my E90 M3 for over two years and tracked the crap out of it. I've gone through several sets of rotors, many many pad sets and I've dealt directly with Stillen. A few weeks ago, Stillen's shop replaced the inner seals on my front calipers because they were finally done after 70 track days. They've always been straight with me. The calipers are AP, the rotors are AP, the rotor hardware is AP and the brackets are machined by Stillen. To say they cobble them together from spare parts is ridiculous.

I've seen this Radi-Cal at Stillen. It's pretty amazing. The calipers are HUGE. The Radi-Cal rear is basically as large as my AP CP5555 front.

I don't have anything against the Essex kit, but the full Essex kit didn't even exist for our M3 until a couple months ago…..and it's NOTHING like the Radi-Cal. The Essex kit is tried-and-true older race technology---which is great if you're going to track it. The kit has a proven track record for that and the consumables are cheaper. But it has no Bling factor at all--smaller rotors than my AP kit, no paint choices--just matte gray. It's meant to be a workhorse. The Radi-cal is AP's next generation of BBK, and it has a huge bling factor, if that matters to you----huge calipers, huge rotors, HUGE brake pads. It doesn't even fit some 18" rims.

Anyway, I love my [Stillen] AP kit. It's been the most trouble-free and reliable mod on my car---amongst superchargers, suspensions, wheels, exhausts, etc., and the people at Stillen have been very nice to me.
i respect and value your experience.... i can only go but the fact that i live about 20 miles from AP coventry and have the proper UK supplied AP official kit, I've visited the site numerous times, I've mentioned stillen and i was emphatically told they buy pieces from AP and piece together their version of the kits..... that came directly from the horses mouth...

The ESSex setup has been done in a similar vein but with proper AP engineers testing and feeding back, and the official AP stuff is properly tested and developed items.

Whats more, how may times have i seen the stillen kits shipped with the wrong pieces and parts and people calling out AP on that, which isn't anything to do with AP. The proper AP kits have a lead time of 4-5 months build for a reason.

however i appreciate your feedback, good to have a discussion without the drama.

__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
ybssw
New Member
 
Drives: 1m
Join Date: May 2013
Location: nowhere

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
Just got the AP Radi-CAL kit installed last week.
6 Piston Fronts with 370mm Disks
4 Piston Rears with 380mm Disks

I'm quite impressed with this kit that Stillen has put together, because they are very easy to modulate while providing quite an aggressive bite the deeper you stab the brake pedal. I've only had time to bed-in the pads and run it for the weekend in the city, so I imagine that it'll get better. I'll give it a more detailed review in about 1-2 tanks of gas later.









I am considering this kit as well. Man they look massive.

I look forward to your review on this kit, especially compared to the Brembo GT kit and Alcon kit that you had.
ybssw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST