BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
schwin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Headlight Condensation After Xenon Control Module Units Replaced

Both xenon control modules recently went out in a flash flood. Luckily insurance is covered it through comprehensive when the BMW dealer mentioned there was water in both units when removed. I picked it up today after a week in the shop and there is condensation after it rained. Please see below. Should I be concerned?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
CognitiveDistortion
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwin View Post
Both xenon control modules recently went out in a flash flood. Luckily insurance is covered it through comprehensive when the BMW dealer mentioned there was water in both units when removed. I picked it up today after a week in the shop and there is condensation after it rained. Please see below. Should I be concerned?
Very similar thing happened to my 335 with adaptive xenons.

Once of my bulbs had gone out, took it to an indy shop who swapped it but apparently didn't seal the lights correctly so next time it rained it condensed like a mofo and warning came up on my idrive. I took it back to them and they replaced the ballast on the affected headlight which fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
schwin
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks for the reply. The condensation went away after an hour, I'm concerned that it will burn out the bulbs quicker with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Jsantos
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Once condensation is present you know it will happen again. Bring it back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
schwin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here's the formal response from the BMW dealer:

"It is normal, especially when the seasons are changing or when there is inclimate weather, for condensation to build up inside of the headlights. As soon as you turn on the headlights heat begins to build up and the condensation should evaporate within 10-15 minutes of the headlight being on. The technician resealed the assembly so what you're experiencing is most likely normal given the recent weather and humidity.

Let me know if the condensation persists even after the headlights have been on for longer than 15 mins."
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
WickedE93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:

"It is normal, especially when the seasons are changing or when there is inclimate weather, for condensation to build up inside of the headlights. As soon as you turn on the headlights heat begins to build up and the condensation should evaporate within 10-15 minutes of the headlight being on. The technician resealed the assembly so what you're experiencing is most likely normal given the recent weather and humidity.

Let me know if the condensation persists even after the headlights have been on for longer than 15 mins."
What a B.S. response, this is without even looking at the car? WOW!
Gintani Supercharger/ Custom catless x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
Tomz_M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Jet Black E90 M3

Take the top cover off on a warm day with no rain, it should take away th remaining condensation.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
schwin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Will do, giving it a few days.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
tallskinnymatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Had the same condensation issue in my M3. Talked to a rep and he told me the same BS response that it's normal for condensation to occur. After a couple months it was really bothering me again so started working with a new rep who was much more helpful than the previous. Good friends now. Took the car in, ran some tests and they decided to replace both headlights under warranty. No condensation since then! So yes. They can replace/fix the headlights under warranty if they want to.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
SheaButter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AC Schnitzer E93 M3

Quote:

Wowwwww save that Email from the tech! If this becomes more of an issue that will be some serious firepower if you wanted to strong-arm them into replacing them. I'd ask for them to ship you an entire new set and ask to keep the old ones as "backups". And then do a headlight mod, reseal and sell

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
JDM_CL9
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Put some silica packets in to your head lamps temporarily to dry them out.

There is probably some left over moisture trapped inside from when they replaced the modules.
      08-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
schwin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all for your help! I'll definitely save it and watch it day to day. The BMW dealer says they give a two year warranty on their work.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #13
MineralWeiss
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

It is normal for some condensation to develop inside the headlight assembly; they are not completely sealed! There are two vents with rubber boots that should prevent water from entering the housing, but humidity will enter. If you get a kind of foggy look, that is normal; if you get puddles of water, you may have a bad seal.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #14
schwin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss View Post
It is normal for some condensation to develop inside the headlight assembly; they are not completely sealed! There are two vents with rubber boots that should prevent water from entering the housing, but humidity will enter. If you get a kind of foggy look, that is normal; if you get puddles of water, you may have a bad seal.
Thank you sir! I did notice that when looking at the housing that holds the bulb. That makes much more sense now.
Appreciate 0