BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,495
iTrader: (0)

Porter Cable 7424XP + what accessories needed to fix terrible paint?

Hi,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a PC 7424XP. The main reason is to fix my wife's daily driver, a '98 Honda CR-V. It has a beautiful dark green metallic paint, that is in really rough shape due to years of neglect before we got it.

There are several deep scratches and etchings, but I don't see any that go down to the primer. There are burned-in bird poops, water etchings, etc. Basically bad shape.

I will eventually consider using the 7424XP on my M3 (brand new) and my daily driver (doesn't need much), but I want to practice on this beater, first. What do I need in the way of backing plates, pads and compounds to start me out?

Thanks!
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
nomoreZ06
New Member
 
Drives: 08 Black E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

This online retailer has significant amount of detail on what is needed for each step. http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

There are seveal other online retailers that offer video and similiar tutorials.

The 7424XP is an excellent investment.

Warning: going down this path becomes very addicitive.
nomoreZ06 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,495
iTrader: (0)

Thanks. I did run across that website last night. I think it just may take some experimentation.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
nomoreZ06
New Member
 
Drives: 08 Black E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Here is another good thread from Europe with good detail. Should have included it with the first. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=63859
nomoreZ06 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Where are you getting the PC from? I got mine from Chemical Guys and the kit came with the backing plate. I forget the size, but I know it fits the 5.5" pads with no issues.

You want an assortment of pads, since they all do different things. Just take a look at any of the good detailing product sites. They tell you exactly what they do (cut, finish, wax/seal etc). Get a bunch of different ones. I buy them in bulk because I'm not paying for the pad cleaner. That contraption looks good for pro detailers who detail many people's cars, but I can just buy new pads for me (they aren't that bad on the wallet). Plus, I don't actually use them THAT often, maybe twice a year.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,495
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreZ06 View Post
Here is another good thread from Europe with good detail. Should have included it with the first. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=63859
Woa! That is a rather overwhelming site. But good info there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Where are you getting the PC from? I got mine from Chemical Guys and the kit came with the backing plate. I forget the size, but I know it fits the 5.5" pads with no issues.

You want an assortment of pads, since they all do different things. Just take a look at any of the good detailing product sites. They tell you exactly what they do (cut, finish, wax/seal etc). Get a bunch of different ones. I buy them in bulk because I'm not paying for the pad cleaner. That contraption looks good for pro detailers who detail many people's cars, but I can just buy new pads for me (they aren't that bad on the wallet). Plus, I don't actually use them THAT often, maybe twice a year.
I was going to order from CG, but ended up with $200 in misc detailing supplies instead. I will still eventually get one, Amazon has them cheap too. I spent about an hour on Autotopia, there is a lot to read over there.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
 
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: orange county, ca

Posts: 1,168
iTrader: (1)

PCXP
surbuf, orange, white, black, blue pads - get 4-5 of each, and just one blue (used for sealant application), and get all in 5.5" with a 5" backing plate
meguiars 105
menzerna SIP, Menzerna super finish
chemical guys ezcream glaze
menzerna powerlock or blackfire wet diamond
mild and aggressive clay bars
ONR for lots of variations on cleaning - interior, wheels, jambs, use as clay lube
chemical guys V7 for added protection after future washings
Envious Eric is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,495
iTrader: (0)

^^^ Thanks!

Doesn't the 5" backing plate come with it?
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
DetailAddict
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Posts: 972
iTrader: (10)

unless u ordered a kit from somewhere, it doesn't come with a backing plate. it does come with a white pad that does not have an interchangeable backing plate.

Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
^^^ Thanks!

Doesn't the 5" backing plate come with it?
DetailAddict is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailAddict View Post
unless u ordered a kit from somewhere, it doesn't come with a backing plate. it does come with a white pad that does not have an interchangeable backing plate.

Leo
Yep! And that white foam pad sucks!

I got my kit from Chemical Guys, came with those hex pads (which are OK) and the backing plate. Also got my scratch and swirl be-gone and creme glaze from them. Was pretty much all I needed for my first shot at detailing!
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
ec_E92
Enginerd
 
Drives: another AW
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: cbus, oh

Posts: 289
iTrader: (1)

FYI, coastal tool has the XP on sale for $105 with backing plate and counterweight thru the end of the month (after $20 website discount) and free shipping. Pretty sure I've dropped enough hints that my wife has ordered me one for Xmas!
__________________
2008 E92 AW 6MT ///eibach's///ARC-8///Muffler Delete
ec_E92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,495
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
FYI, coastal tool has the XP on sale for $105 with backing plate and counterweight thru the end of the month (after $20 website discount) and free shipping. Pretty sure I've dropped enough hints that my wife has ordered me one for Xmas!
Nice!
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST