BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
whats77inaname
Banned
 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

Posts: 1,740
iTrader: (15)

Do you have an Android phone? Then you need to read about Carrier iQ....

I recently ran across this post on XDA developers, even though it's about 7 months old.....basically, it tells about a really wicked big-brother rootkit app that HTC and Samsung are shipping on their phones, as well as Sprint having it installed on their Android phones.

In-depth analysis:
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-all-evil-ciq/

Basics:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...89&postcount=3

More in-depth analysis:
http://androidsecuritytest.com/featu...ers/carrieriq/

CiQ's response to the testing:
http://androidsecuritytest.com/

The good thing about this app is that it is shipped w/logging off, but if it were ever turned on, you'd be hard-pressed to know it. The best solution is to remove it. Root your phone and install a custom ROM, making sure the developer has removed CiQ.


Knowledge is power, folks. Arm yourselves.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 11-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.
whats77inaname is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
 
Gregxi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the crapper

Posts: 336
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I recently ran across this post on XDA developers, even though it's about 7 months old.....basically, it tells about a really wicked big-brother rootkit app that HTC and Samsung are shipping on their phones, as well as Sprint having it installed on their Android phones.

In-depth analysis:
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-all-evil-ciq/

Basics:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...89&postcount=3

More in-depth analysis:
http://androidsecuritytest.com/featu...ers/carrieriq/

CiQ's response to the testing:
http://androidsecuritytest.com/

The good thing about this app is that it is shipped w/logging off, but if it were ever turned on, you'd be hard-pressed to know it. The best solution is to remove it. Root your phone and install a custom ROM, making sure the developer has removed CiQ.


Knowledge is power, folks. Arm yourselves.
Great job genius, 1 out of 4 links worked
Gregxi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
 
texasmojo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 128i automatic
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DFW Texas, USA

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

So what does this mean?
__________________
texasmojo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Some people are a little paranoid, I have yet to see how this would affect me. Facebook does this, so do so many iphone apps that it's not even funny. So they can see what websites I visit or where I go to buy my groceries... it's not something I would advertise but if I am not running for political office; who cares?
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmojo View Post
So what does this mean?
This means that the "man" can turn on features of your phone remotely, and listen in on any/everything. They also know what you send and who you send it too.
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
This means that the "man" can turn on features of your phone remotely, and listen in on any/everything. They also know what you send and who you send it too.
Yes, and as a libertarian I am not too big of a fan of this but the question remains; how is this going to affect almost everyone? The answer is it won't affect you at all unless you are legitimately into sketchy stuff at which point there are hundreds of other ways to track / listen in on you. The govt has placed trackers on the cars of certain college students... electronics these days are so complex especially in cellphones that there are hundreds of different ways to listen in, check on people without any pre-bundled apps software from manufacturers.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Yes, and as a libertarian I am not too big of a fan of this but the question remains; how is this going to affect almost everyone? The answer is it won't affect you at all unless you are legitimately into sketchy stuff at which point there are hundreds of other ways to track / listen in on you. The govt has placed trackers on the cars of certain college students... electronics these days are so complex especially in cellphones that there are hundreds of different ways to listen in, check on people without any pre-bundled apps software from manufacturers.
Oh I totally agree, unless your doing something you shouldn't - then there isn't a "problem"

but at the same time, if they listen at random and something you say is taken out of context, you wake up in a blacked out helicopter wondering what the hell just happened.

Personally, I don't feel this tracking should ever be in place and if the patriot act wasn't passed out of irrational fear - it would at least require a warrant.

but, they could be listening to you right now. They could turn your camera on and take pictures without you knowing or having it saved to your phone.. they can turn your Web cam on on your laptop to see what your doing, or who.

They could be flagging me as a terrorist right now for typing these exact words, just because I don't agree with the Matrix Overlord style of observation, and unwarranted invasion into my private American life.

Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Oh I totally agree, unless your doing something you shouldn't - then there isn't a "problem"

but at the same time, if they listen at random and something you say is taken out of context, you wake up in a blacked out helicopter wondering what the hell just happened.

Personally, I don't feel this tracking should ever be in place and if the patriot act wasn't passed out of irrational fear - it would at least require a warrant.

but, they could be listening to you right now. They could turn your camera on and take pictures without you knowing or having it saved to your phone.. they can turn your Web cam on on your laptop to see what your doing, or who.

They could be flagging me as a terrorist right now for typing these exact words, just because I don't agree with the Matrix Overlord style of observation, and unwarranted invasion into my private American life.

True I agree with you, I just think that IMHO it doesn't really matter whether there is some crappy app to do this. As you've already mentioned that particular ship sailed a long time with the "give up all of your freedoms" act.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST