BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #67
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Voltigeur's Avatar
Australia
49
Rep
2,523
Posts

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaksauce View Post
I am pretty sure that this is not the correct forum for "abnormal discharge". You may want to try the webmd boards instead...


but implied point is good, should prob be in the Maintenance section of m3post.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #68
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Voltigeur's Avatar
Australia
49
Rep
2,523
Posts

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
I don't think I got the same symbol that you're talking about. Mine was a graphic of the car raising up on a lift, followed by Increased Battery Discharge on the iDrive screen. Then I was asked to reprogram date/time.
Exactly what my display showed. I re-set the date/time and the warning has gone away in last 24 hrs, but ..... WTF
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 10-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #69
jaehshim
Major
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
1,178
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NE

iTrader: (3)

same thing happened to me

some of the indication
- time kept resetting, showing no time when i turn on the car (before the time was always behind, running slow)
- no angel eye when unlocking the car
- obvious recharge sign

dealer recharged it, but in a day same thing happened again, they changed battery under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:42 AM   #70
wardm3
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: e92 m3 2010
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: perth australia

iTrader: (0)

My e92 m3 09 had the increased discharge warning, I did a current test on battery and the meter showed about 1 amp discharge. My car was not completely turning off?? Found to be I installed a lead acid battery which is wrong , dealer installed a gel battery. They also wiped my ecu(which I wasn't happy with because I lost my ess tune😡(so I have to reload it). They loaded up 2015 software into ecu. Now the battery problem is fixed. The car draws 9 amps for half an hour then drops down to about 1 amp for about half an hour then down to .08 amp.
Yep these cars take a while to stop battery draw. If you unlock car then close it again the timer starts over.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #71
Wilsel
Private First Class
10
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: Currently seeking
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Every BMW we have owned has had to have its battery replaced. My wifes (several) 550s battery crapped out at 2 years, one of my X5s decided it would not start, the 750 had a replacement, and even my current M3 just had its battery replaced. I cannot understand "the car is not driven enough" excuse to not replace the battery under warranty. The M3 sees the track about once a month, and I am here to tell you, it gets driven. All of mine have been replaced under warranty, however, on one occasion the SA made the remark, "well, we will do it this time." If the time ever comes when they flatly refuse, and the car is still under warranty, BMW just lost a customer. Not mad, just a business decision.
vz
They told me the battery isn't covered, on my 2011 with 16k miles (still under factory warranty for 3 more months). I'm going to read the warranty booklet to see if i can prove otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:49 AM   #72
m3buckeye
will bring some beers
m3buckeye's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: e93 M3, Audi Q7 TDI Prestige
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsel View Post
They told me the battery isn't covered, on my 2011 with 16k miles (still under factory warranty for 3 more months). I'm going to read the warranty booklet to see if i can prove otherwise.

had this happen last year. battery was covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #73
hdoc2005
Registered
hdoc2005's Avatar
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: Grey '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DC Metro Area

iTrader: (0)

So I see this post is tracing back years now...I have been now having same issue...been taking car in and out for a couple months and still chasing issues...

> taken in while under warranty for "sparatic faults" and was told it was nothing
> replaced battery (after warranty, then passed all tests)
> Died within 5 days, took it back...amp was blamed for issue (requested it to be disconected)
> Died a few days later again, took it back...after 9 days, they found fault in driver door handle comfort lock system... (requested it to be disconnected)
>Error came back same day I picked it up "increased battery discharge while turned off" ...dealership wants to replace the disconnected parts before moving on...as well as the IBA (I believe negative battery cable)...but then who knows whats next!

I luckily have been dealing with a good shop foreman and good customer handler at the dealership I'm going to now...BUT I can easily say I am FAR from impressed with the quality of the car.

Also have an open ticket with BMW NA following my complaints and issues...thinking about elevating it higher than them if they dont take it serious...

**Maybe we should start a petition or something to go to news agencies, etc??? If we get enough attention on it, outside this forum...maybe BMW will take getting it correct serious! Seeing that the fault I got today was related to my handling...so it starting to sound like it could cause major safety issues! ...burn cables...this all in all sounds pretty bad! and who knows how many other people out there that dont get on forums also have this issue! ...starting to sound like a late night laywer commercial...HA
__________________
///M-Flight
~Always seeking advice to better personalize my ride
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #74
Beemdog
Woof!
Beemdog's Avatar
United_States
226
Rep
1,329
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sonoma Cownty, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdoc2005 View Post
So I see this post is tracing back years now...I have been now having same issue...been taking car in and out for a couple months and still chasing issues...

> taken in while under warranty for "sparatic faults" and was told it was nothing
> replaced battery (after warranty, then passed all tests)
> Died within 5 days, took it back...amp was blamed for issue (requested it to be disconected)
> Died a few days later again, took it back...after 9 days, they found fault in driver door handle comfort lock system... (requested it to be disconnected)
>Error came back same day I picked it up "increased battery discharge while turned off"

**Maybe we should start a petition or something to go to news agencies, etc??? If we get enough attention on it, outside this forum...maybe BMW will take getting it correct serious! Seeing that the fault I got today was related to my handling...so it starting to sound like it could cause major safety issues! ...burn cables...this all in all sounds pretty bad! and who knows how many other people out there that dont get on forums also have this issue! ...starting to sound like a late night laywer commercial...HA
Does your car have the Electronic Damping Control (EDC option? The EDC module has a known failure for increased battery discharge.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #75
xcsgenius
New Member
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E93
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
Does your car have the Electronic Damping Control (EDC option? The EDC module has a known failure for increased battery discharge.
This! I had the same issue. Took BMW 4 weeks to figure it out. I changed the battery x2, the battery sensor 2x, the DCT shifter but in the end, taking it to another dealership they found out it was the EDC module that was draining 1.3 Amps.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #76
flzrider
Captain
21
Rep
723
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcsgenius View Post
This! I had the same issue. Took BMW 4 weeks to figure it out. I changed the battery x2, the battery sensor 2x, the DCT shifter but in the end, taking it to another dealership they found out it was the EDC module that was draining 1.3 Amps.
Thanks for the info. I just had my DCT shifter replaced on my 2013 M3 due to the low battery warnings I was getting. The battery was replaced by BMW just a few months ago and it had been on the tender for quite a while, so I knew it was more than just a flat battery. I'll keep my eye on the issue and recommend they look at the EDC module if it comes back.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #77
Coldeskimo
New Member
Coldeskimo's Avatar
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW 2008 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

I am having the same problem here however it is not the battery (). I have had my mechanic change the battery from a Fiamm AMG to a Bosch AMG (both 100% brand new) and still a discharge continues. The issue is the car is not shutting down completely. After an hour or two it is still drawing around 1Amp whereas it should be closer to 0.08amps. The result is a massive drain on the battery overnight! Give it two days of no driving and the car will no start.

The computer in the rear of the car is quite warm when I return to the car after 2 hours suggesting it may have something to do with this? Not sure. Will tell my mechanic (ex BMW mechanic) to review the EDC module although we are struggling to find the source of the problem. Been a week now
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #78
Helmsman
Colonel
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
556
Rep
2,995
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldeskimo View Post
I am having the same problem here however it is not the battery (). I have had my mechanic change the battery from a Fiamm AMG to a Bosch AMG (both 100% brand new) and still a discharge continues. The issue is the car is not shutting down completely. After an hour or two it is still drawing around 1Amp whereas it should be closer to 0.08amps. The result is a massive drain on the battery overnight! Give it two days of no driving and the car will no start.

The computer in the rear of the car is quite warm when I return to the car after 2 hours suggesting it may have something to do with this? Not sure. Will tell my mechanic (ex BMW mechanic) to review the EDC module although we are struggling to find the source of the problem. Been a week now
Hi Cold, "computer in the rear", is that the stereo amp or? If so, did you try to simply disconnect it mate?
As I'm sure you've read that faulty EDC's can drain a lot current, seems to be the most common reason for battery drain. In this case I'm guessing you would have an EDC issue i.e. not changing levels, do you? Same thing here, you can pull the EDC module plug and see what happens although a bit trickier access.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #79
reforM3d
Private First Class
reforM3d's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hi Cold, "computer in the rear", is that the stereo amp or? If so, did you try to simply disconnect it mate?
As I'm sure you've read that faulty EDC's can drain a lot current, seems to be the most common reason for battery drain. In this case I'm guessing you would have an EDC issue i.e. not changing levels, do you? Same thing here, you can pull the EDC module plug and see what happens although a bit trickier access.

Good luck
I believe when OP is referring to 'rear computer' he is talking about the additional component of the positive terminal that sits on-top of the battery in the E9x cars. (see picture below). I agree that disabling edc or ruling it out as a cause of battery drain would be a next step.

__________________
DCT | Remus | CNT
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #80
Coldeskimo
New Member
Coldeskimo's Avatar
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW 2008 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Cheers. Will be undertaking the disconnection of the EDC today and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 03:18 AM   #81
Coldeskimo
New Member
Coldeskimo's Avatar
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW 2008 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Argh. No luck. Have tried everything with my mechanic and no luck. Off to the dealership next week to see if they can connect to Germany and have them look at the car. The most bizzare thing that happens is when we disconnect the comfort access or sat nav etc when probing it allows the car to start sleeping for two hours but then wakes up later in the day!!!! Go figure
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #82
Majestic12
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: Interlagos Blue E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Frederick

iTrader: (0)

I am getting the same warning (2009 e92). The only issue I have seen is that my comfort access wont unlock when I grab the handle. I was away for almost two weeks and thought I would have issues with startup. I was happy to find that the car fired-up instantly but I still had that damn warning message. The only thing I leave hooked up is a 5th gen ipod which I have since (5 min ago) unhooked.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 01:12 AM   #83
Coldeskimo
New Member
Coldeskimo's Avatar
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW 2008 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

OK. The dealer has since reviewed the issue and isolated the matter to the IBS cable (negative cable faulty) which I believe has been brought up before by another user. Apparently, it has corroded near the battery terminal and needs replacing. Fortunately, it is not the whole run length of the car!!! Fingers crossed nothing else as I have checked everything else I know of!

Last edited by Coldeskimo; 12-28-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2016, 01:15 AM   #84
Coldeskimo
New Member
Coldeskimo's Avatar
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW 2008 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
I am getting the same warning (2009 e92). The only issue I have seen is that my comfort access wont unlock when I grab the handle. I was away for almost two weeks and thought I would have issues with startup. I was happy to find that the car fired-up instantly but I still had that damn warning message. The only thing I leave hooked up is a 5th gen ipod which I have since (5 min ago) unhooked.
I never had an issue with the Comfort Access. Always worked when the car had been running and if I turned it off and returned within an hour to start the car again the doors would open on approach. There are reports of others who have this as their primary issue and hence I would start there to disable this first. (Notably watch the car's behaviour first with the ipod removed/detached when you leave the car).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #85
bigwave
New Member
bigwave's Avatar
1
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 CPE
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Laguna Niguel

iTrader: (0)

I have been living with this issue for over a year now. Been too cheap to replace the EDC. Question for the experts. Is there possibly a way to re program a defective EDC rather than buying a replacement?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #86
Helmsman
Colonel
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
556
Rep
2,995
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwave View Post
I have been living with this issue for over a year now. Been too cheap to replace the EDC. Question for the experts. Is there possibly a way to re program a defective EDC rather than buying a replacement?
Not from what I understand, when they start draining current people replace them as they simply seem broken. Cheap to pick up a used module on Ebay though, obviously with the risk its broken.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #87
Majestic12
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: Interlagos Blue E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Frederick

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldeskimo View Post
I never had an issue with the Comfort Access. Always worked when the car had been running and if I turned it off and returned within an hour to start the car again the doors would open on approach. There are reports of others who have this as their primary issue and hence I would start there to disable this first. (Notably watch the car's behaviour first with the ipod removed/detached when you leave the car).
I started unhooking the iPod and keeping my key further from the car at night (I read earlier in this thread that if the key is to close to the car it will remain in stand-by and mine was maybe 6 feet away) Ever since the warning message has gone away and my comfort access is working as expected. I know this sounds a bit cheesy but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #88
Coldeskimo
New Member
Coldeskimo's Avatar
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW 2008 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldeskimo View Post
OK. The dealer has since reviewed the issue and isolated the matter to the IBS cable (negative cable faulty) which I believe has been brought up before by another user. Apparently, it has corroded near the battery terminal and needs replacing. Fortunately, it is not the whole run length of the car!!! Fingers crossed nothing else as I have checked everything else I know of!
Bugger. False alarm as the Dealer did not allow sufficient time to test it. Back in we go again. Two days later they have claimed to found the problem this time hence will go in next week to confirm and update.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST