BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
Kmad86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92M3/2015 GMC 2500HD/2005 S2k

What happens when idle actuator or throttle actuators go bad?

Just purchased a 2009 e92 with 60,000 miles. The actuators have never been replaced. I'm curious, as I know these often go bad if I am away from home is the car inoperable or do they have early signs of failure and throw a code but still operate? Also, if they haven't gone bad yet is there something I can do to prolong the life of them? One more thing, in your experience (those that DIYd) of replacing the throttle actuators, how king did it take to swap em out?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
Typer0318
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmad86 View Post
Just purchased a 2009 e92 with 60,000 miles. The actuators have never been replaced. I'm curious, as I know these often go bad if I am away from home is the car inoperable or do they have early signs of failure and throw a code but still operate? Also, if they haven't gone bad yet is there something I can do to prolong the life of them? One more thing, in your experience (those that DIYd) of replacing the throttle actuators, how king did it take to swap em out?
throttle actuators,

There are two so one goes bad, other works but it gives car multiple warngings,

performance decreae
edc
and so on

search,

dont know about other one u asking,,,
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:44 AM   #3
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Speaking from very recent experience. (In the shop now).

Limp mode
Several console warnings (edc,dsc,, brake assist warnings).
Codes 00CDBF and 002B22 thrown. Both refering to throttle valve actuators.

I know rod bearings get a lot of attention on this board, warranted or not, but it seems far far more likely an s65 is going to encounter actuator issues. I wonder what the % is... thats fodder for another thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
drrust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

As was suggested there are many threads on this subject and a DIY on replacing them.

Your next question is likely, should I replace the gears or put in new actuators? Up until recently replacing the gears before any codes was a good idea. Adds time to the job as you have to deal with the actuators. If you wait for codes to be thrown, there could be some electrical issues with the actuators. Some people report success after changing gears after codes are thrown others haven't. More recently lower cost actuators are available. So replacing the actuators is a little less painful on the pocket book.
Appreciate 0