BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

BMW Homelink Fail? Help needed.

We just had our garage doors replaced and a Liftmaster 8550 opener was installed. Tried to pair it with my car and no luck so far.

Did some digging and it appears that the new Liftmaster openers are now using Homelink 4.0 which was introduced in 2008. I have a 2012 car and it appears to still be using the old Homelink 3.0 standard because I can't get the thing programmed.

Did BMW really ignore the new standard for 4 years (and counting?).

There is a repeater device that can be acquired that listens for a 3.0 signal then retransmits a 4.0 signal, but that isn't optimal as it's one more thing to break/go haywire and since it needs to be plugged in, it won't work during a blackout like the rest of the opener system which is battery backed.

Has anyone managed to get a Homelink 4.0 opener working with their BMWs?

Update: I did some more digging on Liftmaster's website and it appears that all of their 8000 series openers (8550, 8360) are using Homelink 4.0.

Last edited by eisenb11; 07-16-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

My wife has the 3850 at her parent's house and I paired her car without any issue.

Did you follow the steps in the manual? It's a 2-step process. You pair with the remote first and then you have to sync w/ the garage opener itself.
      07-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
cpsquare8
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
We just had our garage doors replaced and a Liftmaster 8550 opener was installed. Tried to pair it with my car and no luck so far.

Did some digging and it appears that the new Liftmaster openers are now using Homelink 4.0 which was introduced in 2008. I have a 2012 car and it appears to still be using the old Homelink 3.0 standard because I can't get the thing programmed.

Did BMW really ignore the new standard for 4 years (and counting?).

There is a repeater device that can be acquired that listens for a 3.0 signal then retransmits a 4.0 signal, but that isn't optimal as it's one more thing to break/go haywire and since it needs to be plugged in, it won't work during a blackout like the rest of the opener system which is battery backed.

Has anyone managed to get a Homelink 4.0 opener working with their BMWs?
To get to the video instructions can log into BMW USA -www.bmwusa.com. You will need you VIN to create an account. Once you do that your car will appear and on the bottom of the home page for that car a series of video tutorials are available. The garage door opener is one. I-drive, Nav and entertainment are others.

To do the programming-if I have the steps right-

Press the outer 2 buttons on the mirror until the LED light flashes quickly - can take up to 30 seconds - car must be on.

Now Press Button 1 and your remote opener at the same - hold until the LED light flashes quickly -should be 10-20 seconds.

Now you must press the learn button on your opener in your garage. You now have 30 seconds - go back to the car. Press the Mirror button 3 times in sequence. The LED will flash - hold it 2 to 3 seconds per depression.

The mirror opening button will now work-but mine only seems to only function when the car is on. Also unlike your loose remote you need to hold the button for about 2-3 seconds for the door to open/close. Mine works at least 300 feet away-much further than the loose control - thus I think BMW wants to make sure you want to use the open/.close - thus a slight delay.

This is in the owner's manual but it is not explained very well. Also best to do this on a dim day or right around sundown, hard to see the LEDs in very bright light.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
He's not asking how to do it. He's already done it on his previous opener.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
He's not asking how to do it. He's already done it on his previous opener.
The previous opener could be one that does not use rotating codes and only requires a simple 1-step pair w/ the remote control.
      07-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

FWIW, my parents recently had their garage opener changed to a newer Liftmaster and I was unable to pair any of our 3 cars' homelinks to it (03 Acura, 08 Lexus, and my 08 M3).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to quiksi
I've yet to try pairing my homelink to my new liftmaster... but supposedly you have to first "learn" from an existing remote, and then "pair" it with the opener

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, RemoteKey+, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, ebay VRS CF Front Lip, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Bridgestone S04 255/295
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
My wife has the 3850 at her parent's house and I paired her car without any issue.
The 3850 uses Security+ (Homelink 3.0). The 8550 is using Security+ 2.0 (Homelink 4.0).

It seems that this is limited to the 8000 series (8550, 8360) openers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsquare8 View Post
snip... instructions
Correct, I tried all that. I followed the instruction manual as well as the instructions on homelink.com as well as what I've seen on various internet postings.

The problem I'm having is with step 2. My car will not learn my remote. I've tried it in the garage, out, various places at various times of day in doors and out. I've tried various distances in front of the mirror, around it, and behind it from about a foot away to touching to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc View Post
FWIW, my parents recently had their garage opener changed to a newer Liftmaster and I was unable to pair any of our 3 cars' homelinks to it (03 Acura, 08 Lexus, and my 08 M3).
If you call Homelink, they have a repeater device that should get things working... but it would be nice if it's possible to do without it.

Does anyone here have a Liftmaster 8XXX series opener?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
MineralWeiss
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

I have two Liftmaster 8550 openers and found out after installation that my 2011.5 M and my wife's 2011 Nissan Juke are not compatible with the newer Homelink system. My 2010 Dodge Ram however, worked flawlessly. I contacted Homelink directly and thay said both my M and Juke each qualify for a free repeater and they sent two of them to me. I can't remember, but I think I did pay about $10 to $15 for shipping.

It is unfortunate that a $75K BMW, that is one year newer than my $50K truck, isn't as up-to-date
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss View Post
I have two Liftmaster 8550 openers and found out after installation that my 2011.5 M and my wife's 2011 Nissan Juke are not compatible with the newer Homelink system. My 2010 Dodge Ram however, worked flawlessly. I contacted Homelink directly and thay said both my M and Juke each qualify for a free repeater and they sent two of them to me. I can't remember, but I think I did pay about $10 to $15 for shipping.

It is unfortunate that a $75K BMW, that is one year newer than my $50K truck, isn't as up-to-date
I ordered a repeater as well just in case. I ended up paying $7 for shipping.

Ah, so one repeater is needed for each car?

I guess that makes sense, but it's kinda annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
MineralWeiss
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, so one repeater is needed for each car?
No, a repeater is needed for each door opener. But since I had two incompatible cars, I was able to get two repeaters for my two doors.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, a repeater is needed for each door opener. But since I had two incompatible cars, I was able to get two repeaters for my two doors.
Ah, gotcha that's not so bad then. Thanks for clarifying!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
THE TECH
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Very interesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
rfalls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Just found out that I have the same issue with my 2012 M3 and the Craftsman Assurelink opener (139.3043 model#) that was just installed yesterday (after spending 2 hours trying to getting it synced). Ordered the repeater today -- $7 shipping. Wish BMW could allow you to update this over the air or via USB.

Thank you for contacting HomeLink. Following is a recap of our conversation. If you need further technical support please reference Incident number when contacting us so we may assist you further.

Question - 2012 BMW M3 - Why won't the Homelink program to my new garage door opener?

Answer - Qualifying vehicle for the HLK repeater

Answer Title: HomeLink Repeater Kit Model HOMELINKRPTR Owner's Manual
Answer Link: http://chamberlain.custhelp.com/app/...tail/a_id/3142

Thank you for taking the time to call in today. I hope this has resolved your issue. If you need further assistance please provide a phone number and a good time to call you or you can reply via email.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
THE TECH
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfalls View Post
Wish BMW could allow you to update this over the air or via USB.
Not possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
MineralWeiss
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wish BMW could allow you to update this over the air or via USB.
That would be nice, but the problem is actually the transmitter hardware, not simply software. I do wish BMW and others would update to the latest version, especially since most domestics have used it for a couple years now. I would also like to see a retrofit hardware kit instead of using the backwards technology repeater.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just found out that I have the same issue with my 2012 M3 and the Craftsman Assurelink opener
Looked it up and the Craftman 3043 is the equivalent to the Liftmaster 8550 / Chamberlain WD962KEV (they're all made by the same company).

Quote:
That would be nice, but the problem is actually the transmitter hardware, not simply software. I do wish BMW and others would update to the latest version, especially since most domestics have used it for a couple years now. I would also like to see a retrofit hardware kit instead of using the backwards technology repeater.
I just checked with Homelink and it appears that they released the Security+ 2.0 spec in 2006 so BMW had 6 years to update our mirrors.

The fix would likely be hardware... I'm not sure if the new FXX cars have support for this or if they're using the same mirrors that we are.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
THE TECH
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looked it up and the Craftman 3043 is the equivalent to the Liftmaster 8550 / Chamberlain WD962KEV (they're all made by the same company).

I just checked with Homelink and it appears that they released the Security+ 2.0 spec in 2006 so BMW had 6 years to update our mirrors.

The fix would likely be hardware... I'm not sure if the new FXX cars have support for this or if they're using the same mirrors that we are.
IIRC, BMW doesn't make the mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
IIRC, BMW doesn't make the mirrors.
Aye, but they're responsible for their suppliers and should make sure things are kept up to date because customers blame BMW when things don't work.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #20
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I installed my repeater but I seem to be running into issues with it... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

For instance, today I was unable to open the garage door from the outside. Used my iPhone to open the door (internet gateway), parked, then I had to press the button in my car about 5 times before it closed the door (usually, I press the button on the wall to close, but I was trying to figure out if the repeater was acting up).

Have you run into this issue before? Any ideas on how to resolve/work around it?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #21
MineralWeiss
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I installed my repeater but I seem to be running into issues with it... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

For instance, today I was unable to open the garage door from the outside. Used my iPhone to open the door (internet gateway), parked, then I had to press the button in my car about 5 times before it closed the door (usually, I press the button on the wall to close, but I was trying to figure out if the repeater was acting up).

Have you run into this issue before? Any ideas on how to resolve/work around it?
I have never had an issue like this, I would probably try reprograming it. I do notice, I have to press the button a couple seconds for the opener to work. If I just quickly press the button it won't open, but that is on all my cars, even my truck that doesn't use the repeater. Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
RedHawk1980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Just paired my homelink on 2012 with the Liftmaster 8550. Previous post was correct, you must use the handheld remote with the homelink button for learning purposes and then hit the Learn button on the opener motor, push the homelink button in car and you're there
Appreciate 0