BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
WRXXX
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 SG M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

Funny Idling sound

Hi...y/day I noticed that my car makes a gargle-like sound at idle. Similar to the mouth wash gargle sound u make before spitting out. When I press in the clutch however, the noise goes away. Is this normal? Its the first time I heard this after owning it for 6months. Car is an '08 however. Yes, car was properly warmed up and driven but the sound is still there.
WRXXX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,727
iTrader: (6)

Sounds like the throw out bearing. That's totally normal for any car with a manual transmission.
M3PO is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
abehwang
Captain
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 505
iTrader: (0)

clutch probably chattering
__________________
2008 E90 M3: Alpine White/ Fox Red Novillo/ Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | Premium | Cold Weather | Technology | EPS | PDC | Ipod/USB |

Fuelly :: Adelei's Gas Mileage
abehwang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,081
iTrader: (3)

I think the M3 6MT has a twin disc clutch which makes pedal effort easier but also makes for chatter when you don't push the clutch in. Very normal noise for a twin disc clutch.
Z K is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
 
1sikbmr's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

Posts: 3,271
iTrader: (14)

you have old people teeth in the car somewhere
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red
ESS VT1-550|Gloss black grilles/Gold gills|V1 hardwire|Filled reflectors|ZHP lighted shift knob|Volk TE37 Gloss Black|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 full blackout kit|Agency Power exhaust|Sosi x-pipe|BMW Performance Steering Wheel V1|
1sikbmr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
WRXXX
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 SG M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the replies. But its weird that I never noticed it before. Only realize this a day after I put the winter tires on along with some spacers. Could it be the flywheel as well?
WRXXX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
Gumulri
Captain
 
Gumulri's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Mirada

Posts: 645
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Thanks for the replies. But its weird that I never noticed it before. Only realize this a day after I put the winter tires on along with some spacers. Could it be the flywheel as well?
may be you forgot to turn on the music like before.
Gumulri is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
The Database
Prepare to be virtually punished.
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa/ Orlando

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Sounds like the throw out bearing. That's totally normal for any car with a manual transmission.
I doubt it's this. The throw out bearing usually makes a high pitched squealing noise. Not too sure on the overall problem though OP.
__________________
The Database is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
markjord
Second Lieutenant
 
markjord's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wellingborough

Posts: 283
iTrader: (0)

Mine does that. Always has.
markjord is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #10
serranot
Second Lieutenant
 
serranot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Normal. Drive a Ducati with a dry clutch. Same noise.
serranot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
JB_Vert
Private
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Database View Post
I doubt it's this. The throw out bearing usually makes a high pitched squealing noise...
The throw out bearing in the E9X M3 sounds like a knocking in the tranny or helicopter hovering in the distance, and I could also see it described as a gurgle, as suggested by the OP. Never heard it described as a squeal, and mine certainly is not a squeal, nor is it high pitched--fairly low-pitched, in fact. If I have it conjured correctly in my mind, it cycles (knocks) about 2X per second at idle, maybe 3X.

There was a lot of discussion of this a couple of years ago, so you may find some discussion by searching for "throw out bearing."

If it's the throw out bearing, then it will go away when the clutch is disengaged (pedal depressed). It will also be more noticeable when the car is warm--mine is not discernable when cold, and others here have reported the same experience.

The reported/hypothesized reasoning for why it is so noticeable in this car usually has to do with tight tolerances and lack of sound/vibration insulation. In order to handle the loads of shifting from 1st to 2nd at 8,400 rpm, for example, the tranny has to be solidly locked into place in the drivetrain in ways that prohibit certain types of NVH isolation. I don't have much other experience myself, but this is reportedly a "sports car" trait. It's one of those mechanical noises that car buffs seem to crave as part of the whole "sports car" experience. I'm just paraphrasing what I've read about it. I don't mind the noise myself.

JB
JB_Vert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
mmm def
Colonel
 
mmm def's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i, 11 S4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 2,568
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mmm def
yup mine does it too. I just bought an exhaust so hopefully i won't hear it anymore
mmm def is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
nuespeedgti
Captain
 
nuespeedgti's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rehoboth, MA

Posts: 761
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
Normal. Drive a Ducati with a dry clutch. Same noise.
haha, no where as noisy! but same idea.
nuespeedgti is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
The Database
Prepare to be virtually punished.
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa/ Orlando

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Vert View Post
The throw out bearing in the E9X M3 sounds like a knocking in the tranny or helicopter hovering in the distance, and I could also see it described as a gurgle, as suggested by the OP. Never heard it described as a squeal, and mine certainly is not a squeal, nor is it high pitched--fairly low-pitched, in fact. If I have it conjured correctly in my mind, it cycles (knocks) about 2X per second at idle, maybe 3X.

There was a lot of discussion of this a couple of years ago, so you may find some discussion by searching for "throw out bearing."

If it's the throw out bearing, then it will go away when the clutch is disengaged (pedal depressed). It will also be more noticeable when the car is warm--mine is not discernable when cold, and others here have reported the same experience.

The reported/hypothesized reasoning for why it is so noticeable in this car usually has to do with tight tolerances and lack of sound/vibration insulation. In order to handle the loads of shifting from 1st to 2nd at 8,400 rpm, for example, the tranny has to be solidly locked into place in the drivetrain in ways that prohibit certain types of NVH isolation. I don't have much other experience myself, but this is reportedly a "sports car" trait. It's one of those mechanical noises that car buffs seem to crave as part of the whole "sports car" experience. I'm just paraphrasing what I've read about it. I don't mind the noise myself.

JB
Not sure about bimmers, but I'm talking more so when the throw out bearing goes bad. I've had it crack or go bad some other way in three different cars and it's always been a high pitched squeal. The noise will always go away when you put the clutch in though OP.
__________________
The Database is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST