BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

11-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
jmusser3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 6MT

Griot's Garage Detail Supplies?

Hey Guys, I've been looking at buying some Griot's Garage detail stuff and was wondering if anyone has used it and whether they recommend it or not. I'm looking at their 6" Random Orbital and was wondering if their polishes would be good for M3 paint?

Also, is there any other Griot's Garage stuff you would recommend getting? I'm thinking the Spray-on Car Wash as well as their One Step Sealant. Also, does their wheel cleaner strip wax or can you use it for every week washes?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the somewhat noob questions. I'm just starting to get into car detailing.
      11-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

I have the orbital, it is fine. I got a 25% off coupon, otherwise I would have just bought the porter cable one. Same difference in my opinion.

I use the sealant on my Jetta TDI and Jeep Liberty. It seals fine, last decently long 4-6 months, but not a deep enough gloss for the m3. Never tried the best in show wax.

The heavy duty wheel cleaner is exactly like SONAX, it smells the same, and turns purple like SONAX and IronX. In the end, I have given up on expensive wheel cleaners, and just use pressure washer, then car soap from a foam gun and a four-fingered lambskin mitt and the wheels come out cleaner, no expensive cleaners, and my lungs and nose thank me for not having to breathe those harsh chemicals.

Their clay sucks for new car paint. It was too heavy duty. I liked Pinnacle's clay much better on newer paint without as much grime.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I just ordered a kit from them so we'll see if it's any good.
Appreciate 0