BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
niqui
Brigadier General
niqui's Avatar
52
Rep
3,102
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (7)

Tuned car throwing Increased Emissions?

hey
my car is catless and running an AA tune, i picked it up from the dealer and on the way home it threw the increased emissions code and seems to be running rough.

my sa knows and was told explicitly not to update the car and says he didnt...he needed to change a steering sensor and said he coded exclusively for that and touched nothing else...i asked him this four times and every time he said he didnt recode the whole car....

the radio presets were gone and the trip was reset when i got the car back, thats all i could tell.

was it recoded and i need a new tune or is it possible that the tune is still there and its throwing increased emissions caused by an actual problem...car is not being driven now


thanks for the input guys
__________________
Jet Black E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
akh23456's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,123
Posts

 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philly

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.28]
2013 f10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
hey
my car is catless and running an AA tune, i picked it up from the dealer and on the way home it threw the increased emissions code and seems to be running rough.

my sa knows and was told explicitly not to update the car and says he didnt...he needed to change a steering sensor and said he coded exclusively for that and touched nothing else...i asked him this four times and every time he said he didnt recode the whole car....

the radio presets were gone and the trip was reset when i got the car back, thats all i could tell.

was it recoded and i need a new tune or is it possible that the tune is still there and its throwing increased emissions caused by an actual problem...car is not being driven now


thanks for the input guys
He might have flashed you back to stock honestly.
__________________

F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456 View Post
He might have flashed you back to stock honestly.
Sounds about right to me.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
61
Rep
3,314
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (11)

No problem before dealer, problem right after? He most likely did re-flash it back to stock, I'm not familiar with this but does AA use a different ECU or they just flash the one already in the vehicle? Regardless of what it is, contact AA and work it out, don't bother causing too much commotion at the stealership because you don't want to void your warranty, especially in Canada.

Side note - I'm actually surprised your warranty is still intact when they know you are using an aftermarket tune.. Let us know what happens!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,481
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Sounds about right to me.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
niqui
Brigadier General
niqui's Avatar
52
Rep
3,102
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (7)

thanks
yeah, i assumed they flashed it. but i told him when i dropped it not too, and he said he went back himself to make sure theyd only code for that sensor, etc...

wtv, nothing i can do know but get it reflashed, i was just concerned that maybe it was something more serious considering that he is so adamant that he did not...
__________________
Jet Black E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,803
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
hey
my car is catless and running an AA tune, i picked it up from the dealer and on the way home it threw the increased emissions code and seems to be running rough.

my sa knows and was told explicitly not to update the car and says he didnt...he needed to change a steering sensor and said he coded exclusively for that and touched nothing else...i asked him this four times and every time he said he didnt recode the whole car....

the radio presets were gone and the trip was reset when i got the car back, thats all i could tell.

was it recoded and i need a new tune or is it possible that the tune is still there and its throwing increased emissions caused by an actual problem...car is not being driven now


thanks for the input guys
There do not seem to be many tuning options for trackpipes for these cars other than turning off the rear 02 or an OBD2 interface that simply keeps the CEL off. Not sure what you expected with the trackpipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,481
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
thanks
yeah, i assumed they flashed it. but i told him when i dropped it not too, and he said he went back himself to make sure theyd only code for that sensor, etc...

wtv, nothing i can do know but get it reflashed, i was just concerned that maybe it was something more serious considering that he is so adamant that he did not...
I know once the car is connected to the network, the network looks at every system to determine which software versions are being used and then automatically updates systems with older/outdated software. On the e46 M3s techs had complete control over what was and wasn't updated by "unclicking" items but I don't think they have the ability to "unclick" items on the e9x M3s. So if your DME software version, even with the AA flash, was outdated it got reflashed with the latest DME software version. It's time to give Omar a call...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
niqui
Brigadier General
niqui's Avatar
52
Rep
3,102
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (7)

yeah, sent omar a pm before starting this thread...hopefully he gets back to me soon, or ill call him.

im pretty sure the aa tune, and others, do more than just turn off the o2 sensors...

thanks for the input guys, so i guess i just got written over
__________________
Jet Black E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Haha dealer lied... Ur back to stock...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,481
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
yeah, sent omar a pm before starting this thread...hopefully he gets back to me soon, or ill call him.

im pretty sure the aa tune, and others, do more than just turn off the o2 sensors...

thanks for the input guys, so i guess i just got written over
Send him an email, instead of a PM...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
MiamiPerformanceInc
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
129
Posts

 
Drives: '11 328i, '02 530i(turbo)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Have you hooked up the car to an ODB II ready to just see what codes it threw?

Its possible the tech forgot to deselect the DME from the programming station if he was told by the SA. Not cool any how. Anytime my customers come in and tell my SA not to flash the DME he puts a sticky note on the hardcopy saying not to program DME and I'm usually the only one who works on it.
__________________
BMW Master Tech/Diesel & M Specialist '11 328i M Sport(daily) '02 530i (PT6262 turbo/E85fuel) 550hp @ 14psi
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,814
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
If the car is running rough and the check engine light is on, that's an indication that its NOT the tune and that you were NOT flashed back to stock.

If you were flashed back to stock the CEL would be on for cat efficiency, but the car wouldn't run poorly.

It's quite possible that there is an issue with the car that is not tune related, and the check engine light is on for something than cat efficiency.

First step is to read the codes and determine if the cat efficiency error is there.

If it is, your tune was wiped out. This doesn't explain the poor running.

If cat efficiency isn't there, tune is still there and CEL is there for some other issue (probably o2 sensors/cam sensor) that needs direct attention.

Re coding a steering angel sensor does not require reprogramming any modules (which would be the reason for losing the tune). This would have probably been a seperate operation. As dbarnes said above, if they try to program (not code) a module, it will overwrite the other ones because the dealer doesn't have the tools I use which allow me to selectively update to whatever version I want to load.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,659
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think Omar has left or is leaving AA...that email might go unanswered. At least this is according to a thread that Omar posted in a different forum.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,814
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think Omar has left or is leaving AA...that email might go unanswered. At least this is according to a thread that Omar posted in a different forum.
Link please....
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,659
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=885332
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,814
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Very curious if he sold the company / his reasons for leaving...
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,803
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Reading comprehension fail. OP had a tune... dealer re-flashed it to stock.
No reading comprehension fail on my part. Nothing above says the dealer reflashed to stock. All that is above my original post is the suspicion that maybe the dealer reflashed to stock -- an act the dealer expressly denied when asked. The only reading comprehension fail is on your part.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,814
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
be nice boys.. Let's keep it factual. We're all past reading comprehension class at this point
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by Mike Benvo; 11-12-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
niqui
Brigadier General
niqui's Avatar
52
Rep
3,102
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
If the car is running rough and the check engine light is on, that's an indication that its NOT the tune and that you were NOT flashed back to stock.

If you were flashed back to stock the CEL would be on for cat efficiency, but the car wouldn't run poorly.

It's quite possible that there is an issue with the car that is not tune related, and the check engine light is on for something than cat efficiency.

First step is to read the codes and determine if the cat efficiency error is there.

If it is, your tune was wiped out. This doesn't explain the poor running.

If cat efficiency isn't there, tune is still there and CEL is there for some other issue (probably o2 sensors/cam sensor) that needs direct attention.

Re coding a steering angel sensor does not require reprogramming any modules (which would be the reason for losing the tune). This would have probably been a seperate operation. As dbarnes said above, if they try to program (not code) a module, it will overwrite the other ones because the dealer doesn't have the tools I use which allow me to selectively update to whatever version I want to load.
honestly, i may be delusional with the running rough part...
i just noticed the idle on start up bouncing around much more than i recall, at least since my tuned days...but this was on first start up, and the shop that did my tune told me its best not to drive the car if the tune was wiped and its catless cause it could cause damage, running too rich etc....what do u think mike? i havent driven it since then, and thats where i am basing my "running rough", possible exaggeration, from....

i havent hooked it up to a scanner, all i get is increased emissions in idrive, i know this means nothing without a scan right?


re omar: yeah, i still havent received any reply, i guess, i ll just call on monday...

thanks guys.
__________________
Jet Black E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,803
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Very curious if he sold the company / his reasons for leaving...
If he sold the company? Omar does not own Active Autowerk. The Hughes own Active Autowerks. Mike and Karl are the sons who do most of the work. Omar is just an employee, though he has been there for several years and done some nice project cars for himself and to help advertise for AA.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST