BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
dcs2k
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

08 DCT M3 - wear and tear parts

Have a 08 E92 with 50k miles and was at a junkyard where there is a 2010 production year E92 DCT M3 that had less than 2k on the odemeter with parts for sale. Need to know what are the parts to get for my 08M3 since I will get a better price than thru the dealership when my parts starts to break.

Questions

1. If my car is comes with EDC, can I swap the suspension parts from the non EDC car and still maintain my EDC function? Im thinking the whole suspension setup including the dampers, shocks and bushings.

2. Will the gearbox be a direct swap? Will it be worth it? my mechanic says the gearbox seldom go in a M3 but its the clutch that always needs replacements. Im thinking might as well swop for the new gear box.

3.Anything related to the steering that is worth replacing?

I will be interested to know if there might be any other parts that will be good to change since its a once off opportunity. Planning to drive the M for at least another 3 years.

One more question, will there be a need to do coding for the newly installed parts since its two different cars?

thansk for all the help !
      11-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S

1. No. EDC dampers are different from non-EDC dampers so you would lose EDC capability.

2. I don't think any changes have been made to the DCT, however, I wouldn't be surprised if you would need to get the latest software update. I don't think the DCT has to be coded to a specific car but I could be wrong. BTW, the DCT doesn't use a conventional clutch - it uses two wet clutches.

3. No, unless there's something wrong with your steering rack.

If this car was totaled with only 2k miles it must have been in a bad accident - any chance the parts you are considering could have been damaged in the accident?
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
      11-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
mkoesel

Drives: N/A

How much are they asking for the DCT? As long as it isn't damaged, I'd definitely consider it if I were you assuming you can get a great price. Even if you never need it you could sell it for more money than you bought it for. For that matter, is the S65 in the car in good shape too?
      11-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
dcs2k
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

the 2010 car looks to be in tip top condition with the damage constrained to the trunk. having said that the trunk looked totally gone.

Noted on the non EDC dampers so looks like i will be keeping mine. how about the rest of the suspension parts?

I can get the whole DCT gearbox for 2k. my current 08 model already has the s/w update, but I cant verify for the late 2010 production model. My concern is only if I were to fit in the 2010 DCT gear box will I need coding to be performed.

tempting to take the engine too lol but it may involve too much hassle. Any engine components worth getting? i.e spark plugs, etc ?
      11-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
mkoesel

Drives: N/A

Ok, wow, yeah for 2k, I'll take five of them please.

And I think it would be insane to dismantle the engine if it truly is in running order. Just buy the whole thing. The profit you make on it will buy you a traincar full of sparkplugs (or whatever other little bits you are looking to stock up on).
      11-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
M3PO
Colonel

Drives: '08 IB E92

That sounds like a good deal for the DCT. I think you should at least ask what they want for the S65.
      11-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Depending on the two cars you could update your NAV. Not exactly plug and play but there is information and vendor support on these forums to do it.
SD-E93-11 is offline   United_States
      11-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile

Drives: 2011 GT500

Seriously, deals like this are rare. Simply you bringing this up on a forum, any shop with some online social networking may see this and scoop it up. Heck, I would if I was a shop. I'd definitely try to make a deal on this if you have some extra cash. You can later advertise and/or source the parts individually.

At least take the common wear parts for yourself like brakes, tires, and even wheels depending on what it has on them.
Lowest_Frequency is offline   United_States
      11-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel

Drives: '08 IB E92

Sounds like you should just buy the whole car lol! Update your nav, save the brakes, save the DCT, save the seat covers/seats (cause the leather wears like crazy). Sell the rest, make your money back, recycle the shell!
      11-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Nine
Banned

Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Wow, I would pick up anything and everything for that price. Think of items like headlights, belts, wow...crazy find. Can you get a quote for the entire vehicle?