BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
61
Rep
3,314
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (11)

Does anyone have pictures of...

...Black Sport Edition A7 rims 8inch on all 4 corners with 235/40/18 tires. Prefer E92 M3 but any E9X is fine.

Ordered them a few days ago, waiting on arrival. I'm thinking if I should have gone with 245's all around. Hopefully they don't look TOO bad

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Based on the tire size and wheel width I'm guessing these are winter wheels - a narrower wheel is better than a wider wheel in the snow because it will tend to plow less thru the snow. Now, the car certainly won't be great to drive in the dry with a narrow tire with soft tread blocks and side walls - be careful!

Not sure if you'll find someone with pictures because I think the black A7 was just released this year. Time to photoshop...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
61
Rep
3,314
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Based on the tire size and wheel width I'm guessing these are winter wheels - a narrower wheel is better than a wider wheel in the snow because it will tend to plow less thru the snow. Now, the car certainly won't be great to drive in the dry with a narrow tire with soft tread blocks and side walls - be careful!

Not sure if you'll find someone with pictures because I think the black A7 was just released this year. Time to photoshop...
The temperature here in Calgary is most likely not to go above 1/2 degree Celsius until March, and will constantly be anywhere from -40 to 0. So I should be okay don't you think?

Do you think I should have gone with 245 all around instead of 235?


BUMP for pics, Ben@Tirerack said people have brought this set-up so please post
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
The temperature here in Calgary is most likely not to go above 1/2 degree Celsius until March, and will constantly be anywhere from -40 to 0. So I should be okay don't you think?

Do you think I should have gone with 245 all around instead of 235?


BUMP for pics, Ben@Tirerack said people have brought this set-up so please post
235 should be fine. However, even at 0C or colder, snow tire tread blocks are tall, soft and contain many sipes (break tread block into smaller sections to increase bite on snow and ice) so in the dry there will be a lot of lateral tire deformation. You'll get used to it with time but I'd strongly recommend you take it easy in the dry at first until you understand how the handling characteristics have changed. Did you buy snow/ice or winter performance tires? Winter performance are much better in the dry but give up ice and deep snow traction.

What are the offsets on the wheels? Did TireRack recommend running spacers or are the offsets correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
235 is the factory spec winter tire
so if you trust the M engineers, you should be ok with what they tested, and preferred
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
61
Rep
3,314
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
235 should be fine. However, even at 0C or colder, snow tire tread blocks are tall, soft and contain many sipes (break tread block into smaller sections to increase bite on snow and ice) so in the dry there will be a lot of lateral tire deformation. You'll get used to it with time but I'd strongly recommend you take it easy in the dry at first until you understand how the handling characteristics have changed. Did you buy snow/ice or winter performance tires? Winter performance are much better in the dry but give up ice and deep snow traction.

What are the offsets on the wheels? Did TireRack recommend running spacers or are the offsets correct?
dbarnes I'm the same guy that made this thread to which you replied - http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605748 -

I'm use to driving with dedicated winter tires (PA3) on my previous E90 non-M so I guess it should be the same principle.

I purchased 18x8 et20, with Bridgestone WS60 235/40/18, all around. These offsets are good for the ///M, I was thinking about spacers to make them sit a bit more flush, do you think that would be a good or bad idea or no difference. Perhaps 10mm all around..



Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
235 is the factory spec winter tire
so if you trust the M engineers, you should be ok with what they tested, and preferred
Good to know, thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post

I'm use to driving with dedicated winter tires (PA3) on my previous E90 non-M so I guess it should be the same principle.

I purchased 18x8 et20, with Bridgestone WS60 235/40/18, all around. These offsets are good for the ///M, I was thinking about spacers to make them sit a bit more flush, do you think that would be a good or bad idea or no difference. Perhaps 10mm all around..
OK - glad to know you have experience with snow tires! That is the correct offset (matches the OEM winter wheel offset) so I'm not sure I'd add a spacer. Winter wheels are all about function so I'd try them without spacers first. If performance is great then stay away from spacers. If you don't like the snow/winter handling then you could always play around with spacers at that point. Be safe...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
MisterM3
not so newbie
MisterM3's Avatar
3
Rep
206
Posts

 
Drives: VTEC to V6 to V8
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

here you go...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599417

btw, i have the same setup. putting them on soon
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
61
Rep
3,314
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
OK - glad to know you have experience with snow tires! That is the correct offset (matches the OEM winter wheel offset) so I'm not sure I'd add a spacer. Winter wheels are all about function so I'd try them without spacers first. If performance is great then stay away from spacers. If you don't like the snow/winter handling then you could always play around with spacers at that point. Be safe...
Thank you for all the information in this thread and the last.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
61
Rep
3,314
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM3 View Post
here you go...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599417

btw, i have the same setup. putting them on soon
THANK YOU! Finally get to see what they look like, can't wait to mount em when they get here. Hopefully it gets us through winter safe and sound.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST