BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

11-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

Gloss Black Trim Wash and Wax

After I've used bug removers, I noticed that a gentle application of a microfibre towel to help ease removal, can scratch the trim. Anyone have any good tips for removing gunk and bugs, from the mirror trim for instance, and preventing any scratches?

Quick search didn't yield me any specific results, just that good waxing job can help cover those scratches.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Polish it out to remove the scratches and then seal it. Try not to let them dry or bake on and hit them with a QD after your done driving, then you shouldn't need the harsher chemicals....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Just the same. Polishing compounds that are not abrasive and then wax and seal. That should also take care of hard water stains too. No harsh chemicals needed as long as you don't let the bug guts/bird shit sit there for weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

Thnx for the responses, unfortunately my car sat in Halifax for several weeks in customs, during which several storms hit. When she arrived she was covered in a whole bunch of crap and even though she was washed before I took possession of her, I spent about 12 hours cleaning, clay barring, and waxing but there were a few spots that just wouldn't come clean. But I'll give it a try nonetheless.
Appreciate 0