BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
jkrig
Private First Class
 
jkrig's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Rhys Millen Genesis 5.0

Anyone see this in the SEMA coverage......looks good tastefully done for a SEMA car....would like to see what kinda numbers this thing can produce...there are some conflicting numbers on final HP, print says 450, Rhys himself says 430....what do you gentlemen think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mL1tRLNhCBk
Attached Images
   

Last edited by jkrig; 11-02-2011 at 07:51 AM.
jkrig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,170
iTrader: (6)

Nice. I was expecting to see that mid-engined car he had made. I remember Hyundai saying they couldn't fit the 5L in there and that it would put the weight distribution way off.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
 
ptack's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 4,236
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
Kind of odd - Hyundai sponsors it, but the message is that this is what Hyundai should have done. The question is whether Hyundai would agree enough to make it a standard option? I don't think they are there, just look at the Velostar - interesting look, but pathetic performance.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Apex EC-7s, PPK Stage II
ptack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
 
Muffnbluff's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW 335is
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: STL

Posts: 782
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Nice. I was expecting to see that mid-engined car he had made. I remember Hyundai saying they couldn't fit the 5L in there and that it would put the weight distribution way off.
Just because it can be shoehorned aftermarket doesn't necessarily mean it could reliably fit in a production form.
Muffnbluff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
jkrig
Private First Class
 
jkrig's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Kind of odd - Hyundai sponsors it, but the message is that this is what Hyundai should have done. The question is whether Hyundai would agree enough to make it a standard option? I don't think they are there, just look at the Velostar - interesting look, but pathetic performance.
Don't think they would but...I would not put it past them they have really been rolling the dice and keeping other brands on their toes in terms of sales...actual execution is up for debate though

The "Sport" version of the Veloster should be slightly less boring, 1.6L turbo (reportedly only weighing in at 2700lbs) and DCT...and priced just under the Gen Coupe....
jkrig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Nice package and fit but for what it's worth wouldn't it be easier / better to get 430/450 hp by building the turbo 4 as it shares the bottom end with an EVO?
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,170
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Nice package and fit but for what it's worth wouldn't it be easier / better to get 430/450 hp by building the turbo 4 as it shares the bottom end with an EVO?
Mmm no. Supercharging the V6 would be cheaper and more reliable I'd think.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Mmm no. Supercharging the V6 would be cheaper and more reliable I'd think.
I don't think you know what you are talking about. The 4 cylinder motor is already turbo'd and there are already a few examples running around making 400 WHP as it is not particularly difficult because the motor shares components with the Evo motor.

Supercharging the 6 would require work so much more work than that and arguably would cost considerably more while possibly not being able to produce numbers even close to this.

The V8 is a complete engine swap which is the least viable for any person although it does seem like a cool project; yet I am still skeptical about balance and handling.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,170
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I don't think you know what you are talking about. The 4 cylinder motor is already turbo'd and there are already a few examples running around making 400 WHP as it is not particularly difficult because the motor shares components with the Evo motor.

Supercharging the 6 would require work so much more work than that and arguably would cost considerably more while possibly not being able to produce numbers even close to this.

The V8 is a complete engine swap which is the least viable for any person although it does seem like a cool project; yet I am still skeptical about balance and handling.
I agree, but the reason I say that is that tuners have been working with Hyundai engineers in supercharging the V6.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/s...o-bow-at-sema/

"Highlighting the performance modifications, HATCI teamed up with Magnuson Products to supercharge Genesis Coupe's 3.8L V-6 engine with a liquid to air intercooler, producing more than 450 horsepower.

The HATCI (Hyundai America Technical Center Inc) and Magnuson supercharger demonstrates the high-performance potential of Genesis Coupe's V-6 engine the car was engineered to handle this kind of extra power," said David Dutko, senior engineer, HATCI."
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I agree, but the reason I say that is that tuners have been working with Hyundai engineers in supercharging the V6.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/s...o-bow-at-sema/

"Highlighting the performance modifications, HATCI teamed up with Magnuson Products to supercharge Genesis Coupe's 3.8L V-6 engine with a liquid to air intercooler, producing more than 450 horsepower.

The HATCI (Hyundai America Technical Center Inc) and Magnuson supercharger demonstrates the high-performance potential of Genesis Coupe's V-6 engine the car was engineered to handle this kind of extra power," said David Dutko, senior engineer, HATCI."
Options from the factory and full aftermarket modifications are two completely different things.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I love this car and my brother wanted one so we went to test drive it and everything felt so cheap.. So it was a no go.. It looks really good though.. (the turbo one)
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST