BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

Race Precision Motorsport

11-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
persian54
Lieutenant General

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
You guys will all get to see my pro blue tape skills.

Where's your tow hook?

that's too much tape

You want to buy the remainder of my road wrap?

I don't care about wrapping the car anymore lol

road wrap is clear. I mean, you can see it on a black car, but it won't be blue lol
and takes less time to put on than tape, and a billion times easier to remove.
persian54 is offline   United_States
      11-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Drives: '11 135 Sport DCT

Send a message via AIM to cooler2442 Send a message via Skype™ to cooler2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Where's your tow hook?

that's too much tape

You want to buy the remainder of my road wrap?

I don't care about wrapping the car anymore lol

road wrap is clear. I mean, you can see it on a black car, but it won't be blue lol
and takes less time to put on than tape, and a billion times easier to remove.
I didn't like the look of the stock hook so didn't put it on lol. Ordered a red one though which should come in soon.

Yeah I think I went a bit overboard on the tape. Will just do the front end and hood for button.

Which brand road wrap is it? I may be interested. I was thinking of buying TrakkTape but it's like 2-3x the price of the blue painters tape at home depot. I think I can do my whole front with the blue stuff in an hour now hopefully.
      11-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #25
persian54
Lieutenant General

Quote:
I didn't like the look of the stock hook so didn't put it on lol. Ordered a red one though which should come in soon.

Yeah I think I went a bit overboard on the tape. Will just do the front end and hood for button.

Which brand road wrap is it? I may be interested. I was thinking of buying TrakkTape but it's like 2-3x the price of the blue painters tape at home depot. I think I can do my whole front with the blue stuff in an hour now hopefully.
"Didn't like the look"?
It's required...
It's not there for a fashion statement, it's there so in the event you go off, they can easily tow you. otherwise, they would just grab onto your bumper and rip it off if they have to.

It's Roadwrap... there is only one "road wrap"
http://www.buyroadwrap.com/
      11-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #26
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Quote:
"Didn't like the look"?
It's required...
It's not there for a fashion statement, it's there so in the event you go off, they can easily tow you. otherwise, they would just grab onto your bumper and rip it off if they have to.

It's Roadwrap... there is only one "road wrap"
http://www.buyroadwrap.com/
Well no one said anything and I had full traction on so low chance of me going off. And if I would have gone off then I would have just popped the trunk and gotten the hook and put it on.

I will take a look at the road wrap site when I get to a computer since I'm on my phone ATM. How big is the roll you have?
      11-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #27
OC3
Havin' a blast!

Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy@acuteperformance View Post
I'll try to be there
Don't try, be there! I signed up a couple of days ago.

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
      11-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #28
OC3
Havin' a blast!

Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
And I finally have my TE37SLs mounted with RS3s...so I'm really excited:
Looks hawt! *sizzle*

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
      11-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #29
persian54
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Well no one said anything and I had full traction on so low chance of me going off. And if I would have gone off then I would have just popped the trunk and gotten the hook and put it on.

I will take a look at the road wrap site when I get to a computer since I'm on my phone ATM. How big is the roll you have?
Don't meant to sound like an ass, I'm just being blunt and straight forward:
even with traction on there is still a chance of going off. Traction helps a lot, but it's not going to be able to defy physics. Says so in the manual
I'm saying this for your own well being. Last thing you'd want is your car to get damaged cause you forgot to put a tow hook on, right?

Also, if you did indeed go off, did you forget that you are not suppose to get out of your car? (unless it's on fire, then run).
The tow crew won't sit there until you go to your trunk, get the tow hook out, remove the plate cover, install your tow hook, then tow you out. And even if they were nice and let you do it, you'd be wasting time, meaning you're wasting track time for everyone. They can't start a new session until the car being towed is completely off track and the debris etc is cleaned up.

No one said anything cause it's your car that would get jacked up being towed without having a tow hook. it's a self tech event, just like more other track events, so it's your responsibility to make sure your car (and you) are safe for the track.

Sorry dude, but rules are rules.

Last edited by persian54; 11-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.
      11-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #30
persian54
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Looks hawt! *sizzle*
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Don't try, be there! I signed up a couple of days ago.
Yeah you need to come. We haven't all tracked together in a while
      11-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #31
rhouck
Registered

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Registered! I'll see you all out there.
rhouck is offline   United_States
      11-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #32
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Quote:
Don't meant to sound like an ass, but.... even with traction on there is still a chance of going off. Traction helps a lot, but it's not going to be able to defy physics. Says so in the manual

Also, if you did indeed go off, did you forget that you are not suppose to get out of your car? (unless it's on fire, then run).
The tow crew won't sit there until you go to your trunk, get the tow hook out, remove the plate cover, install your tow hook, then tow you out. And even if they were nice and let you do it, you'd be wasting time, meaning you're wasting track time for everyone. They can't start a new session until the car being towed is completely off track and the debris etc is cleaned up.

No one said anything cause it's your car that would get jacked up being towed without having a tow hook. it's a self tech event, just like more other track events, so it's your responsibility to make sure your car (and you) are safe for the track.

Sorry dude, but rules are rules.
Of course traction control doesn't guarantee 100% that you won't be going off the track. Traction control can't prevent an extremely stupid mistake but it can make it look less stupid. I didn't say it earlier but guess I will go into it now, there are reasons why I kept traction control on. Firstly keeping traction on to me means that I am not confident enough as a driver to have it off, due to that it also means I am not pushing my car as hard even with it on because I don't know my cars limits. Thus there is a low chance of me going off the track unless the car ends up hitting oil or debris and loosing complete grip, since I am not going into corners as fast as I can and I am braking more than I need to before them.

Well seems like the rules are flexible then because at the last streets event there was one car that completely went off the track and he wasn't able to get back on due to a popped tire. They did not close down the track because of him, I remember passing his car sitting in the dirt multiple times during one of my sessions. It was probably out there for more than an hour. I then saw his car later on with a small donut / spare wheel so either he did get towed off or they let him sit there until they were able to put his spare on and he drove off.

I wasn't stating that I didn't put my hook on because I don't want to follow the rules, I stated that I didn't like the look of it and I was confident enough that I wouldn't go off track to the point where I would have to be towed. Of course if it did happen I would have been prepared for the consequences but I am also confident they would have let me just put the hook on from my trunk.
      11-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #33
persian54
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Of course traction control doesn't guarantee 100% that you won't be going off the track. Traction control can't prevent an extremely stupid mistake but it can make it look less stupid. I didn't say it earlier but guess I will go into it now, there are reasons why I kept traction control on. Firstly keeping traction on to me means that I am not confident enough as a driver to have it off, due to that it also means I am not pushing my car as hard even with it on because I don't know my cars limits. Thus there is a low chance of me going off the track unless the car ends up hitting oil or debris and loosing complete grip, since I am not going into corners as fast as I can and I am braking more than I need to before them.

Well seems like the rules are flexible then because at the last streets event there was one car that completely went off the track and he wasn't able to get back on due to a popped tire. They did not close down the track because of him, I remember passing his car sitting in the dirt multiple times during one of my sessions. It was probably out there for more than an hour. I then saw his car later on with a small donut / spare wheel so either he did get towed off or they let him sit there until they were able to put his spare on and he drove off.

I wasn't stating that I didn't put my hook on because I don't want to follow the rules, I stated that I didn't like the look of it and I was confident enough that I wouldn't go off track to the point where I would have to be towed. Of course if it did happen I would have been prepared for the consequences but I am also confident they would have let me just put the hook on from my trunk.
I'm not going to argue with you, and by your response, it seems to me that you didn't completely understand the points I was trying to make.

I'm not going to discuss this any further with you online.

Just a couple quick comments: it's a case by case basis, but if the car went off and it was mutually agreed that it was safer keeping the car there, then that's why they left it there. Case by case basis.
And I don't care about you leaving TC on or not, I see no reason why you even went into it.
The fact that you didn't put it on just cause you didn't like it... is possibly the worst excuse out there...
Sorry cooler, but you've only been to 1 track day. Unfortunately, you really don't know what can go wrong. I am glad to hear there were no major accidents that day at SOW, but I have seen some bad accidents.

OC3 was there with me that day a Porsche was totaled. I believe he was also there at big Willow when a s2k flipped and was totaled.
But I am happy it was a safe track day
And remember: I'm not trying to be an ass

Last edited by persian54; 11-10-2011 at 05:57 PM.
      11-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #34
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant

Drives: SG E92 M

Hey guys, i have a question. Do you throw your track wheels and tires on and then drive to the track, or do you carry them with you and switch them there?
Nexlevmm is offline   No_Country
      11-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #35
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyCSL View Post
Hey guys, i have a question. Do you throw your track wheels and tires on and then drive to the track, or do you carry them with you and switch them there?
I saw people do both at the last streets event. Some drove in with track wheels and others carried them and then jacked the car up and put them on. I'd say whatever your most comfortable in doing but I'm sure others can provide more input for you since they have dedicated track sets.
      11-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #36
persian54
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyCSL View Post
It depends

If you have DOT approved tires, and don't mind driving them (street driving does wear down expensive track tires), then there's nothing wrong with driving them

I dd my track set as I don't care about the tire wear

But if you have R Comps, that are most likely not DOT approved, then you're not allowed to drive them on the street and should change tires/wheels at the track

I personally can't fit 4 rims and tires, nor do i have the physical ability (bad back) to do it, otherwise I would get a more dedicated track set with R comps.

RS3s are as close as I can get to R comps
      11-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #37
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you, and by your response, it seems to me that you didn't completely understand the points I was trying to make.

I'm not going to discuss this any further with you online.

Just a couple quick comments: it's a case by case basis, but if the car went off and it was mutually agreed that it was safer keeping the car there, then that's why they left it there. Case by case basis.
And I don't care about you leaving TC on or not, I see no reason why you even went into it.
The fact that you didn't put it on just cause you didn't like it... is possibly the worst excuse out there...
Sorry cooler, but you've only been to 1 track day. Unfortunately, you really don't know what can go wrong. I am glad to hear there were no major accidents that day at SOW, but I have seen some bad accidents.

OC3 was there with me that day a Porsche was totaled. I believe he was also there at big Willow when a s2k flipped and was totaled.
But I am happy it was a safe track day
And remember: I'm not trying to be an ass
Yup it was my first day and I took it easy. "Didn't like the look" was just easier for me to say than going into detail about why I was confident I wouldn't go off the track, it wasn't the primary reason. But like I said I ordered a tow hook that I am happy with and it will be going on for Button so I won't be running around without a hook.
      11-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #38
persian54
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Yup it was my first day and I took it easy. "Didn't like the look" was just easier for me to say than going into detail about why I was confident I wouldn't go off the track, it wasn't the primary reason. But like I said I ordered a tow hook that I am happy with and it will be going on for Button so I won't be running around without a hook.
Good to hear.

Overconfidence... I would say is worse of a reason than a cosmetically related one. Since when you do track mods, it's go before show, unlike most who do show before go. And those who have the funds do go with show.
      11-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #39
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Quote:
Good to hear.

Overconfidence... I would say is worse of a reason than a cosmetically related one. Since when you do track mods, it's go before show, unlike most who do show before go. And those who have the funds do go with show.
The overconfidence wasn't in my driving ability though. It was that I knew it was my first day and that I would be taking it easy so I think that is a bit different than being over confident that your a good driver and won't be going off the track.

I did the opposite of what I should have done with my car. I should have tracked it first while in stock form so I could get a feel for it but instead I had full go before show mods done before 2k miles other than putting Meth and an intercooler upgrade.
      11-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #40
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant

Drives: SG E92 M

Quote:
It depends

If you have DOT approved tires, and don't mind driving them (street driving does wear down expensive track tires), then there's nothing wrong with driving them

I dd my track set as I don't care about the tire wear

But if you have R Comps, that are most likely not DOT approved, then you're not allowed to drive them on the street and should change tires/wheels at the track

I personally can't fit 4 rims and tires, nor do i have the physical ability (bad back) to do it, otherwise I would get a more dedicated track set with R comps.

RS3s are as close as I can get to R comps

Thanks Persian, i just wanted to be reassured there werent any negatives like losing traction in a turn and hitting a child if i ever switched tires at the house
Nexlevmm is offline   No_Country
      11-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #41
persian54
Lieutenant General

Quote:
The overconfidence wasn't in my driving ability though. It was that I knew it was my first day and that I would be taking it easy so I think that is a bit different than being over confident that your a good driver and won't be going off the track.

I did the opposite of what I should have done with my car. I should have tracked it first while in stock form so I could get a feel for it but instead I had full go before show mods done before 2k miles other than putting Meth and an intercooler upgrade.
I shouldn't have made any extra comments

I'm not discussing this online with you anymore, you miss the point(s) I am trying to make.
      11-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #42
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Quote:
I shouldn't have made any extra comments

I'm not discussing this online with you anymore, you miss the point(s) I am trying to make.
Don't worry no hard feelings, we'll agree to disagree lol. Maybe my perspectives will change over time as I do more events.
      11-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #43
persian54
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Don't worry no hard feelings, we'll agree to disagree lol. Maybe my perspectives will change over time as I do more events.
There is nothing for us to agree to disagree on other than you miss the points I was trying to make; which I don't think you can disagree on, as I know what my points are and if you're missing them, then there's nothing to argue about.

I'm pretty confident you missed the point(s), cause if you didn't miss them, your responses would be different
      11-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #44
cooler2442
Brigadier General

Quote:
There is nothing for us to agree to disagree on other than you miss the points I was trying to make; which I don't think you can disagree on, as I know what my points are and if you're missing them, then there's nothing to argue about.

I'm pretty confident you missed the point(s), cause if you didn't miss them, your responses would be different
Which points did I miss?

I'm pretty sure I addressed them all and your main point was safety which is addressed now that I ordered a tow hook and I was just specifying why I didn't put one on at streets.

You can txt me if you wanna take it off the forums but I figure we're keeping this thread bumped and only 9 spots are left so hopefully someone new see's this and registers before it fills up lol.