BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Obrfso
Private
Poland
2
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: BMW m3 e90
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Obrfso
Bmw m3 v8 engine usa vs europe spec.

Hi Guys,


I am new in this forum. I am an owner of BMW M3 e90 interlagos blue...pictures soon however i have got a problem...


Does someone know what is the difference between USA and EUROPE engine spec as the difference in fuel consumption is huge... I have got a USA spec car and my friend has got EU spec and the consumption difference is around 4-6 liters per 100 km.... As far as i know the EU is a bit more powerful so when it is more economical and quicker...why not to change the map...


Is it possible to change the map of the engine from USA to Europe without having any problems afterwards?


THANKS !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
jonasaurus's Avatar
United Kingdom
35
Rep
3,154
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Surely the only rational explanation is driving style. Have never heard of the S65 from various countries being any different to each other.
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build

Last edited by jonasaurus; 10-31-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
364
Rep
14,377
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrfso View Post
Does someone know what is the difference between USA and EUROPE engine spec as the difference in fuel consumption is huge... I have got a USA spec car and my friend has got EU spec and the consumption difference is around 4-6 liters per 100 km...
Switch cars for a day and I'll bet your results would switch too. In other words, it is likely driving style. Also, I doubt you too have cars with the exact same specs and setttings, so that could contribute as well.

Quote:
As far as i know the EU is a bit more powerful so when it is more economical and quicker...why not to change the map...
I'm pretty sure the engine makes the same power in the US vs. Europe. Check the units.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,497
Posts

Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

OP - why did you start another identical thread in the Tech Topics Forum - Engine, Drivetrain,...ECU Mods?

Admin - please combine the two threads. Thanks.

I agree with what's been stated above - no difference in power or fuel consumption, I think it's different driving styles and car build configurations.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Obrfso
Private
Poland
2
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: BMW m3 e90
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Obrfso
Guys I think you are all wrong. I heard that there is an extra thing in the tank of the USA spec and as a result the computer puts more petrol that is why USA spec consumes more petrol...apparently when u change the program, the mistakes shows on the dashboard.....guys so?? I thought u would know that guys....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
1sikbmr's Avatar
46
Rep
3,282
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (14)

troll?
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red #TEAMMODE
ESS VT1-550|Volk TE37|Recaro|STOPTECH|Ohlins R/T|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 |Agency Power/Sosi/ACM Test Pipes|BMW PSW V1|
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Smokey's Avatar
10
Rep
718
Posts

Drives: on twisty roads
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [5.00]
2011 335iS  [4.80]
What is the "extra thing in the tank" you're referencing? I've never heard of the difference you're describing.
__________________

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,497
Posts

Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

I believe the only difference is how fuel consumption is measured in the US and Europe.

So a US-spec car is consuming more fuel due to "extra thing in the tank" yet it makes the same power as the Euro-spec car? It must be a conspiracy so US-spec cars get hit with a Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Obrfso
Private
Poland
2
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: BMW m3 e90
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Obrfso
So basically there r 2 things which differs euro spec to USA spec. first thing is because of USA regulation, the USA spec m3 has got a sensor which takes out the air from the tank. If u change the soft to European it will show a mistake because the sensor doesn't exsist in the European spec and after driving the pressure increases and the car might stop because of air in the filter, not petrol.. Secondly the cats are different and as a result the USA spec gives more fuel to injection... Another us regulation... I talked with the Guy from BMW motorsport department in Munich which only looks at m powers... Did someone know that?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,497
Posts

Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrfso View Post
So basically there r 2 things which differs euro spec to USA spec. first thing is because of USA regulation, the USA spec m3 has got a sensor which takes out the air from the tank. If u change the soft to European it will show a mistake because the sensor doesn't exsist in the European spec and after driving the pressure increases and the car might stop because of air in the filter, not petrol.. Secondly the cats are different and as a result the USA spec gives more fuel to injection... Another us regulation... I talked with the Guy from BMW motorsport department in Munich which only looks at m powers... Did someone know that?
So if you've talked to a guy that works in the BMW M division why didn't you get him to answer your questions? He'd be able to tell you whether a US-spec car can be re-flashed to Euro specs and address your fuel consumption concern/issue. Now I'm really confused as to why you've created this thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Smokey's Avatar
10
Rep
718
Posts

Drives: on twisty roads
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [5.00]
2011 335iS  [4.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
So if you've talked to a guy that works in the BMW M division why didn't you get him to answer your questions? He'd be able to tell you whether a US-spec car can be re-flashed to Euro specs and address your fuel consumption concern/issue. Now I'm really confused as to why you've created this thread.
+1

Seems logical that you would go back to the same guy and ask him your question-- am assuming the guy is still alive
__________________

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
153
Rep
6,557
Posts

Drives: 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C LE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
i think he got confused
EU version makes 420 hp
US makes 414
but that's not a difference of power
it's just the difference between horsepower when measured in DIN or SAE specs
its the same power
thats like saying the EU version has a top speed of 250
while the US has a top speed of 155
well yes, but the 250 is in km/h and the 155 is in miles per hour
same top speed, just different ways of measuring it
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,497
Posts

Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
+1

Seems logical that you would go back to the same guy and ask him your question-- am assuming the guy is still alive
Better question - did the OP really talk to someone within the BMW M Division?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
127
Rep
8,517
Posts

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

I'm pretty sure the difference in the printed MPG figures is the difference in European and American testing cycle standards and the difference between imperial miles vs US miles (yes there's a difference, you have to convert the figures properly).

Unless the figures you're seeing is from just on the engine itself versus the full vehicle (cycle) test, but you're comparing apples and oranges here.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/

Can't find a good Euro testing site, (maybe others can help)
http://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514269543/html/x787.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ec...s#cite_note-23
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,497
Posts

Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i think he got confused
EU version makes 420 hp
US makes 414
but that's not a difference of power
it's just the difference between horsepower when measured in DIN or SAE specs
its the same power
thats like saying the EU version has a top speed of 250
while the US has a top speed of 155
well yes, but the 250 is in km/h and the 155 is in miles per hour
same top speed, just different ways of measuring it
Nope - we've already tried this argument with the OP and it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
viperssd
Private First Class
viperssd's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW ZCP M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio, USA

iTrader: (2)

Miles are the same, the difference is US vs Imperial Gallons

U.S. Gallons
1 MPG ≈ 0.425 km/l
235.2/MPG ≈ l/100 km
1 MPG ≈ 1.201 MPG (Imp)
Imperial gallons
1 MPG ≈ 0.354 km/l
282/MPG ≈ l/100 km
1 MPG ≈ 0.833 MPG (U.S.)
__________________
2011 335i xDrive E92 Montego Blue (Ret.)
2004 Z4 3.0i E85 Black Black Sapphire (Ret.)

Last edited by viperssd; 10-31-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added Conversion #s
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
153
Rep
6,557
Posts

Drives: 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C LE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Nope - we've already tried this argument with the OP and it didn't work.
but if the "guy" told him that
maybe we are all wrong?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,497
Posts

Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I'm pretty sure the difference in the printed MPG figures is the difference in European and American testing cycle standards and the difference between imperial miles vs US miles (yes there's a difference, you have to convert the figures properly).

Unless the figures you're seeing is from just on the engine itself versus the full vehicle (cycle) test, but you're comparing apples and oranges here.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/

Can't find a good Euro testing site, (maybe others can help)
http://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514269543/html/x787.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ec...s#cite_note-23
I agree but this answer didn't work either...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #19
Obrfso
Private
Poland
2
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: BMW m3 e90
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Obrfso
Basically the problem is that the Guy as BMW head of department can not see the solution apart from changing the tank...however he said that there are some solution which are available on aftermarkt forums or websides...I thought someone knew something ((
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #20
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

I had heard that in the E46s the final gear ratio was different for US vs Euro spec. Nothing that was substantiated by anyone though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #21
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
///M Rakete's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
874
Posts

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrfso View Post
So basically there r 2 things which differs euro spec to USA spec. first thing is because of USA regulation, the USA spec m3 has got a sensor which takes out the air from the tank. If u change the soft to European it will show a mistake because the sensor doesn't exsist in the European spec and after driving the pressure increases and the car might stop because of air in the filter, not petrol.. Secondly the cats are different and as a result the USA spec gives more fuel to injection... Another us regulation... I talked with the Guy from BMW motorsport department in Munich which only looks at m powers... Did someone know that?
If you are talking about the fuel tank vapor leak check you are wrong. Both US- and Eurpoean-spec cars are equipped with charcoal canisters and the leak check pump.

Wrong also on the catalytic converters, they are the same, I mean exactly the same as in the same BMW part number.

This verified through BMW's ETK for an 11/2009 build BMW E92 M3 Coupe.
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Edjay
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacoftomatoes Ca

iTrader: (0)

Given op is legit, the only thing I can think of is US spec cars are program to compensate for crappy gas. I mean here in CA we can only get 91 octane.
Why dont you (OP) re flash to euro spec and tell us what happen.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST