BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

10-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #23
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The ECU will retard timing to prevent knock. Don't make a habit of it but the engine will be safe.
REtard or reTARD?

kmarei is offline   Egypt
      10-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #24
Prophizee
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

Thanks for all the feedback. I am glad to here that it's no big deal. Buy the way if anyone here is from nj or Tri-state area. My brother and I are going to the pocono raceway next weekend if anyone wants to come with us shoot me a private especially if you have an m3 zcp always wanted to race one with a standard m3... Should be a lot of fun.
Prophizee is offline   United_States
      10-29-2011, 04:28 AM   #25
MysticBlue
Major

Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I think it is hilarious when people say things like "one tank is ok but I would not make a habit of it!"

By the logic you guys use than you should never be driving in the heat and severe humidity of summer either since your car is doing the same thing it is doing with lower octane gas, which is pulling timing and thus creating less power. If you do not care about having less hp or you drive pretty softly than there is not one problem running 87 your whole life and will do nothing to your engine.

Running 87 in 60 degree weather is probably better and you get less timing pulled than running 91 in 100 degree summer weather.

Now if you run 87 and floor the car a bunch than you might as well use 91 since you are giving up a bunch of power but as long as you do not care about the power it is totally fine to use it forever with NO damage to anything
In my opinion, you have a point. And I agree, even making a habit of lower grade gas isn't going to hurt anything. But it then begs the question, why would someone spend the extra 10 or 20 grand on a car to get this level of perfomance, only to sacrifice that level of performance to save 2 bucks on a tank of gas?
      10-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #26
Dreamz
Enlisted Member

Drives: MY 13 E92 AW ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart@AUTOcouture View Post
The only thing we pump in Jersey is fists.

I died when I saw this

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
In my opinion, you have a point. And I agree, even making a habit of lower grade gas isn't going to hurt anything. But it then begs the question, why would someone spend the extra 10 or 20 grand on a car to get this level of perfomance, only to sacrifice that level of performance to save 2 bucks on a tank of gas?
+1
Dreamz is offline   United_States
      10-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #27
Ateam
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
I am not saying it makes a whole lot of sense and you cannot account for people's stupidity, I was just speaking in technical terms about damage to an engine. Is it stupid? Yes. But not because its at all harmful but rather it means you dropped a premium amount on a car with horrible mileage, to not get the most out of the engine.

I guess in fairness to that, you still probably push 380 crank hp instead of 414 with 87 octane (just for comparison sake) so its not like you cannot still have fun with the car. But I am with you, if you buy an m3 with a 8400 redline high compression engine, then make sure you utilize it to the max and use the engine how it was meant to be used
      10-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #28
Titanium Silver
Four Star General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
What does the manual tell you to do?

These type of comments are so annoying and unhelpful. The manual police.

All he wants to know is if the car will be okay... which it will.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
      10-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #29
PhoenixM3
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT M3

Wouldn't sweat it....can't find premium in most of the...

Stations around Italy. Had the car 5 months, no issues.....
      10-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #30
TRY...M3
Major

Drives: Depends on the day

Now what will happen with doing the complete opposite, like running race gas 110 or 118 unleaded. Will this do any harm or gain anything on a stock tuned car?
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
TRY...M3 is offline   United_States
      10-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #31
Nelrock
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post

His wasn't in reply to the OP

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Nelrock is offline   United_States
      10-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #32
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post

You must be a sad individual to get so annoyed over my answer. God forbid I should make someone do the research on their own to find out some info on their car. You'd be surprised at how many things you could learn by just reading the manual. As was mentioned, you should read the thread. I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to someone else who has only used mid-grade since he's had the car, which is wrong.

I thought it was common knowledge to use premium in a high performance sports car. I guess I was wrong... But given the method in which he posted, I can't say I am shocked...