BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
theboss1853
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation My S65 is REBUILT!!!

First - A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO REGULAR GUY!!! AND NELSON @ BIMMERTECH!!! You guys are AWESOME!



Regular guy, I appreciate all the help you gave me during this process... and of course your endless wisdom and, oh yeah... your crankshaft!!! ;-)

Well, I got my car back yesterday following my spun bearing fiasco. Over 9 months and over $12K in total cost it's back in my garage. My mechanic Nelson is a busy guy but had the patience and dedication to get it done. It's running AWESOME!!!

The cost would have been more like $8K but I did a few things additional while it was under rebuild.

Actually had to pull the engine twice due to some nasty metallic knocking noise upon initial rebuild (what we found out was lifter issues on cylinder 8 along with timing chain issues - replaced 4 lifters, chain guides, and tensioners)

I'd be happy to share my complete rebuild parts list, just let me know.

The additional items I did for the rebuild:
New Spec P-trim Clutch kit with fly(my original had broken pressure plates that we found)
Slave Cylinder
Complete new oil pump system (highly recommended as the metal shavings from the spun bearing could have damaged it)
New alternator
New Water Pump (might as well...)
New Oil Pan
VAC Coated bearings

See attached....

Wow, now the breakin process begins!!!!
Attached Images
      

Last edited by theboss1853; 09-20-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
buddalun
Captain
buddalun's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
787
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (4)

Congratulations. The S65 is incredible and I'm glad you chose to stick with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
theboss1853
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Thanks... It was long process but it's done. I am going to pursue BMW for the repair bill as there is NO WAY that the engine should have failed at 60K miles with a bad rod bearing. The engine had a defect from manufacture date of December 2007 that took it 60K miles to finally break. I'm convinced it was a clearance issue that was outside of tolerances and just not caught in time and too expensive to recall so BMW opted to do nothing for us.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
javarithms
Private First Class
javarithms's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 SG FR
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Do you mind posting this under the Engine section (seems more pertinent there).

Also, it's great that you are pursuing BMW for the cost of repairs. You might want to checkout this thread regarding a class action lawsuit.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161033

Please keep us posted on your battle with BMW.

Good luck.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
TrevorM3
Colonel
199
Rep
2,669
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss1853 View Post
Thanks... It was long process but it's done. I am going to pursue BMW for the repair bill as there is NO WAY that the engine should have failed at 60K miles with a bad rod bearing. The engine had a defect from manufacture date of December 2007 that took it 60K miles to finally break. I'm convinced it was a clearance issue that was outside of tolerances and just not caught in time and too expensive to recall so BMW opted to do nothing for us.


bmw doesn't give a shit. your car is 7 years old, and has 60k miles.

you can't really think bmw is going to re-reimburse you...


no hard feelings, but you sound like you need a reality check.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
theboss1853
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
bmw doesn't give a shit. your car is 7 years old, and has 60k miles.

you can't really think bmw is going to re-reimburse you...


no hard feelings, but you sound like you need a reality check.
Yep, I agree that the chances of getting a reimbursement is slim to none but I'm going to pursue it. Absolutely NO reason why ANY engine that is manufactured by ANY manufacturer should fail from a spun rod bearing at 60K miles. Seriously???? It wasn't just one bearing.. all my bearings had some pretty significant issues. From what I read on forums like this I'm not alone.

So you either sit back and do NOTHING.. or you take some action to DO SOMETHING.
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Edward
Colonel
United_States
140
Rep
2,759
Posts

Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
bmw doesn't give a shit. your car is 7 years old, and has 60k miles.

you can't really think bmw is going to re-reimburse you...


no hard feelings, but you sound like you need a reality check.
This. Your car is old. It may have even been produced in 2007 which makes it 8 years old. I feel bad but they probably won't set an precedent by kicking you a check. Especially after you have it rebuilt twice by a non BMW mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
blue flowers
Second Lieutenant
blue flowers's Avatar
21
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss1853 View Post
Yep, I agree that the chances of getting a reimbursement is slim to none but I'm going to pursue it. Absolutely NO reason why ANY engine that is manufactured by ANY manufacturer should fail from a spun rod bearing at 60K miles. Seriously???? It wasn't just one bearing.. all my bearings had some pretty significant issues. From what I read on forums like this I'm not alone.

So you either sit back and do NOTHING.. or you take some action to DO SOMETHING.
I think you're doing the right thing trying to pursue it. It doesn't hurt to try.

60,000 miles is pretty unreasonable.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
theboss1853
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue flowers View Post
I think you're doing the right thing trying to pursue it. It doesn't hurt to try.

60,000 miles is pretty unreasonable.
AND FINALLY someone agrees with me on this... OMG..

If this was a $15,000 car that would be one thing but this car was originally purchased for ~$65k+ and damn right it should last more than 60,000 miles....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
TrevorM3
Colonel
199
Rep
2,669
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue flowers View Post
I think you're doing the right thing trying to pursue it. It doesn't hurt to try.

60,000 miles is pretty unreasonable.




so what is reasonable?


unless op is blowing his attorney, yes, this does "hurt" to try. why waste time and money on something like this?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #11
8k3
Banned
65
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boise, ID

iTrader: (1)

I don't think there is much of a point other than making this yet another data point for BMW NA, more awareness the better
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST