BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

07-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
dozaiya
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

Question about removing Betalinked OEM splitters

im in the process of trying to replace my oem splitters with a lip, but my oem splitters are factory installed with betalink.

i have searched the forum regarding removing parts attached with betalink and i understand the general principle of using dental floss/fishing line + heat and patience.

however, the search on removing betalinked oem splitters showed that there will be a high possibility of cracking the splitters.

has anyone here successfully removed betalinked oem splitters without any damage to them? please advise, thanks.
dozaiya is offline   Taiwan
      07-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
tinman831
Captain

Drives: M3

People remove their splitters and spoilers now and then. You'll see sale ads with left over beta link on them. It's very annoying to remove. Do not pull on the splitters. Let the floss or string do the work to saw through the betalink. You can tie knots in the string to aid in trying to cut through it.
      07-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
People remove their splitters and spoilers now and then. You'll see sale ads with left over beta link on them. It's very annoying to remove. Do not pull on the splitters. Let the floss or string do the work to saw through the betalink. You can tie knots in the string to aid in trying to cut through it.
This +1

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      07-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
dozaiya
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

so i finally went ahead and attempted the removal, it sucked ass
i'd really recommend against this if anyone is thinking about it
i was going to respray my front bumper in the first place so it didn't matter to me, but there is no way you can get it off without doing a lot of damage to your paint
the fishing line didn't really work since they kept snapping even though i bought the thickest i could find, expect to use x-acto knife of some sort
they did manage to come off in one piece but there are still minor damages to the clear coat
however, the splitters are quite strong and you CAN pull on them and they won't crack that easily
dozaiya is offline   Taiwan