BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM Sport

10-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #23
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Amazing how good that car still looks 25 yrs later!!

What's the consensus on strapping a car down by the wheels? I've heard some say not to do it, and other say it's Ok?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      10-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #24
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant

Drives: none

Ah. 245/265/18 is the tire size

As for strapping down via the wheels, I'm not sure. What other options are there and what can go wrong with strapping the wheels?
      10-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #25
dnvrdrvr
Captain

Drives: JB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
As for strapping down via the wheels, I'm not sure. What other options are there and what can go wrong with strapping the wheels?
Not positive, but I would guess there's concern about the strap moving (maybe when your tow vehicle is braking?), causing the tension to release somewhat... could lead to the strap becoming unhooked and a loose car? I tie my car down by going over the tops of the tires... (in an enclosed trailer that has rails to hook into) which I guess could result in the same thing. Big no-no from what I remember is really anything to do with compressing the suspension in any way, hooking onto the control arms, etc.

Just a girl and her 420 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
dnvrdrvr is offline   United_States
      10-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #26
Richbot
Colonel

Drives: Jerez Black E90

Strap down to the body if you can (sometimes it's not possible). It's just better.

Congrats, you're doing the right thing.

Last edited by Richbot; 10-28-2011 at 10:51 AM.
      10-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #27
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.

Drives: 2008 GT2... leaving soon.

Congratulations! Definitely jealous..
Ive certainly spent more on mods for the track on my e92 than it would cost but I live in SF, so having a truck/trailer/race car is sorta a conundrum as far as space...
Have a blast!
      10-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #28
swartzentruber
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Congrats -- sounds like a great idea (moving to a dedicated track car). Right now, about the only thing holding me from buying a used race car (for tracking) is lack of space for a a tow vehicle and trailer. Right now my R32 makes a pretty good "drive to the track" car, but adding rollbar/harnesses/seats is quite a chunk.
      10-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant

Drives: none

im starting to understand what a monster i really bought. This isnt just a track prepped car, but a full blown race car. I'm understanding that shes built to deliver 350whp all day long. The only "mod" I can even think of is a data logger, and I can get an app for my iphone for that.
      10-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #30
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

Yep save your money for brake padsn tires and entry fees.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      11-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #31
Richbot
Colonel

Drives: Jerez Black E90

Leave the iphone in the trailer and get a Traqmate. Stupid easy to use, hard to break, works well, doesn't ring in the middle of a session.
      11-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #32
The Database
Prepare to be virtually punished.

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

^^^^^ Traqmate is definitely the way to go, love the 944.
      11-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #33
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
Ah. 245/265/18 is the tire size

Strapped to a hard point on the body is best, but tough to do on most cars. Thru the wheel is good and what I do, just have the straps tension aligned with the center of the wheel so the tension doesn't try to spin the wheel.

Around a wheel spoke is also fine, but you get a little more crossing load on your suspension. I won't even get into the crossed straps debate, I've never found the need to do that.

Put the car in reverse as a safety, keeping any rocking or wear off your forward gears.
      11-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #34
karussell
Major

Drives: 4 wheels

welcome to the dark side. you think you push your street car now, its nowhere near the limit. i never drove a car harder than my E36 M3 race car. faster than my street M3 by far. biggest thing with your car is to get it reliable. rennlist is great community for that. use them for jump start on prepping the car. the worst thing for a racer is to have everything all set and then have a part break on the practice session and you are down for the weekend. remember when you reinforce something look down and previously strong components are now the weakest link. read that has have plenty of spares and good crew to help out.

as for strapping the car down. you can run with straps through wheels safely. its really matter of personal preference. just make sure hand brake engaged and leave it in neutral!
since its outdoor trailer make sure the straps aren't sun bleached. better to get new set if unsure of the ones you got. keep them out of the sun as much as possible. enclosed trailer with plenty of room for spares, tools, jacks, wheels/tires is highly advisable along with a proper tow rig.

congrats!

ps, the leave it in reverse gear is also debated. my answer is real race cars don't have a reverse ;-)