BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

fabspeed HFC o2 extenders don't work

i installed the o2 extenders that fabspeed sent me, started up the car, the CEL is still on. don't know why this is happenning, should i drive it for a few hundred miles then see what happens or the o2 extenders are nonsense?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,813
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
i installed the o2 extenders that fabspeed sent me, started up the car, the CEL is still on. don't know why this is happenning, should i drive it for a few hundred miles then see what happens or the o2 extenders are nonsense?
You need to clear the cat efficiency codes first. If the light came on and you put the extenders on afterward, the light will not clear itself no matter how long you drive or how many starts.

Once they are cleared, it will take some time to trigger the light again. If it doesnt reappear you are good to go.

The effectivness of the extenders is disputed. Fabspeed cats are 200 cel, so most of the time you can barely squeeze by with the extenders. As the cats age, you may have the error return sometime in the cars useful life.

Edit: The code MAY go off after 40-45 drive cycles if the car does not see that fault present. But with extenders, it's unlikely that in all forty occurrences it will pass the test.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by Mike Benvo; 11-12-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You need to clear the cat efficiency codes first. If the light came on and you put the extenders on afterward, the light will not clear itself no matter how long you drive or how many starts.

Once they are cleared, it will take some time to trigger the light again. If it doesnt reappear you are good to go.

The effectivness of the extenders is disputed. Fabspeed cats are 200 cel, so most of the time you can barely squeeze by with the extenders. As the cats age, you may have the error return sometime in the cars useful life.
So how to clear the car efficiency codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You need to clear the cat efficiency codes first. If the light came on and you put the extenders on afterward, the light will not clear itself no matter how long you drive or how many starts.
Yes it does. I ran Fabspeed for awhile and occasionally got a CEL. It would clear itself after a few hundred miles.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Yes it does. I ran Fabspeed for awhile and occasionally got a CEL. It would clear itself after a few hundred miles.
how to clear the code?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
how to clear the code?
Not sure. Maybe it needs a certain amount of time or starts without crossing the threshold for CEL? I dealt with this about 3 or 4 times before I sold my pipes
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Not sure. Maybe it needs a certain amount of time or starts without crossing the threshold for CEL? I dealt with this about 3 or 4 times before I sold my pipes
I thought if i still need a tune , then what's the point of the extenders?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
95
Rep
4,639
Posts

 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
I thought if i still need a tune , then what's the point of the extenders?
even with a tune, you still cant pass OBD-II based emissions. This is because you will not pass the readiness test for the o2 sensors
__________________
2015 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
even with a tune, you still cant pass OBD-II based emissions. This is because you will not pass the readiness test for the o2 sensors
So if i take off the cats, put a tune on it, I will still have CEL sometimes?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
95
Rep
4,639
Posts

 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
So if i take off the cats, put a tune on it, I will still have CEL sometimes?
no, you will not have a CEL.

however, the tunes remove the CEL, but do not fix the fact that the o2 sensors will have a "not ready" reading on an OBD-II scan.

So basically, it will appear that all is well, but the car wont pass inspection.

As of yet, no tuner has been able to fix this issue. If they did, I am sure that they would dominate the marketplace.
__________________
2015 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
no, you will not have a CEL.

however, the tunes remove the CEL, but do not fix the fact that the o2 sensors will have a "not ready" reading on an OBD-II scan.

So basically, it will appear that all is well, but the car wont pass inspection.

As of yet, no tuner has been able to fix this issue. If they did, I am sure that they would dominate the marketplace.
No inspection here as far as i know If the extenders don't work, i'm thinking about making it catless then throw a tune on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,813
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
no, you will not have a CEL.

however, the tunes remove the CEL, but do not fix the fact that the o2 sensors will have a "not ready" reading on an OBD-II scan.

So basically, it will appear that all is well, but the car wont pass inspection.

As of yet, no tuner has been able to fix this issue. If they did, I am sure that they would dominate the marketplace.
Depending on how it's done, it can be "Not Ready" or "Pending".
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
BMWJ
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
386
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

^-- meaning "will not pass" readiness test
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,813
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post
^-- meaning "will not pass" readiness test
Correct. Although there are different guidelines in different states, and they depend on the year and spec of the car. Some states will allow 1 not ready, etc..
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST