BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #45
Chu2k
Private
 
Drives: F10 535i, X1 xDrive20d
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Paraguay

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Well, few people earlier said everything. BMW just doesnt need a Halo/show car, all of their M cars are top of its respective segments. Engeneering wise, M doesnt need to show off more. Only thing people may be wanting is a dramatic supercar looking masterpiece, well I certainly do too but I think it wont happen (or actually wil with the i8).

In a way I really admire Mercedes-Benz, they do EVERYTHING. Halo cars, they innovate (even though F-Cell not doing so well I think), make seriously good performance cars (Black Series) and fun cars (AMG with V8 burning lotta tireees). Just the design in some could be better kkkkkkkkkk
Chu2k is offline   Paraguay
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #46
M3roar
Lieutenant
 
M3roar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [4.67]
1998 BMW M3  [4.25]
I think M should make a car. Cost no more than $130-160k and slap the crap out of Porsche 911, Audi R8 and even the GT-R herself. BMW would sell a grip load of those if the price was right and the performance would be there. Honestly. I'm not wealthy but I would certainly save and buy a BMW Mcar of they could do that.
__________________
"Out of pure habit, I gave a black M3 a point by on the way home from work this evening." - ThunderMoose
M3roar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #47
Boostin FD
Major
 
Boostin FD's Avatar
 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Louis

Posts: 1,368
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny View Post
Yes please.
Which car is this?
__________________
Boostin FD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #48
M3roar
Lieutenant
 
M3roar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [4.67]
1998 BMW M3  [4.25]
Also. Audi's success is its daily driver ability. I'd vote using a twin turbo set up on the current m3 V8 and make it daily drivable. That's why people just don't buy certain higher end cars... Cause they break down all the time. That's why Audi wins in sales cause people have said many times they are good to live with daily.
__________________
"Out of pure habit, I gave a black M3 a point by on the way home from work this evening." - ThunderMoose
M3roar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #49
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny View Post
Yes please.
Oh yes *^^^* I like it
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #50
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Isn't the M3 an answer to Audi's R8 V8? Even the M6..

The M3 beats the R8 V8 spec in both the quarter mile and 0-60..

Edit - Just wondering..
That's the spirit of BMW drivers.... 0-60 and quarter mile times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar View Post
I think M should make a car. Cost no more than $130-160k and slap the crap out of Porsche 911, Audi R8 and even the GT-R herself. BMW would sell a grip load of those if the price was right and the performance would be there. Honestly. I'm not wealthy but I would certainly save and buy a BMW Mcar of they could do that.
M3 GTS already failed to do that. Apparently it is not all that easy to slap the crap out of a 911. Oh, BMW beating the GTR... yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
They should let the S65 V8 and S85 V10 live on in a lightweight, rear-wheel drive sport's car. They would be sold in such small volume that they wouldn't really hurt the brand MPG rating and would please enthusiasts.

According to Audi's website, the R8 V8 weighs 3,600lbs, add that to the four-wheel drive loss and it's clear to see why a manual M3 can keep up with it.
I wish they did. It is not only about mpg. BMW does not want to spend too much money on R&D. The # of M3's sold relative to all the other cars they're making is low enough to offset brand MPG rating anyways. They could just make the S65 more efficient with Direct Injection and such and called the day. But that is a greater R&D cost than tuning turbos.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #51
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
 
SCOTT26's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

Posts: 3,029
iTrader: (0)

Of course they would love to do it.

They have an idea on paper on how it can work and what it should be , unfortunately what they want to do is not entirely feasible at this point.
Right now everything is on Project-i , once the CFRP becomes mass volume and very cost effective than it is just now. Then you will see the sharing of technology especially material technology . But BMWi is the highest priority just now if anything will happen it will be after 2015.

* Please do not show that M3 mixed with an R8 render again , I fail to understand why anyone reckons it looks good when it is disjointed and ugly...
__________________
XS
SCOTT26 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #52
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
if that's all it matters to you, go buy american my friend.
Where in my post did I say that is all that matters? Check the end of my post I even stated - just wondering - if that was all that DID matter then I wouldn't be going American, I'd be going Japanese. GT-R R35

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
That's the spirit of BMW drivers.... 0-60 and quarter mile times.
Why is it that every time I read a post by you it has to be something negative? Seriously, does your wife wear the boxers in your relationship so much so that you have to come online to make yourself feel good? Or do you have a boss that treats you like her bitch? Be happy and prosper in life my friend otherwise you will end up a lone wolf that has only one friend, an M3. Just like the 4th person that replied I stated - just wondering - at the end of my post. If 0-60 and QM times was all I cared about then believe me I would have gone and picked up a GT-R for $15/20,000 less than my M3 and AMS'd that bitch Alpha 12 style.

Have a good day.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #53
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Why is it that every time I read a post by you it has to be something negative? Seriously, does your wife wear the boxers in your relationship so much so that you have to come online to make yourself feel good? Or do you have a boss that treats you like her bitch? Be happy and prosper in life my friend otherwise you will end up a lone wolf that has only one friend, an M3. Just like the 4th person that replied I stated - just wondering - at the end of my post. If 0-60 and QM times was all I cared about then believe me I would have gone and picked up a GT-R for $15/20,000 less than my M3 and AMS'd that bitch Alpha 12 style.

Have a good day.
I don't even have an M3... I'm so alone
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #54
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
 
esqu1re's Avatar
 
Drives: M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Coast

Posts: 1,857
iTrader: (0)

I don't think the M3 competes quite competes with the base R8. I can see your logic as both have about the same hp and similar performance limits, but the R8 is mildly exotic and mid engined, whereas the 3 series isn't. So, I guess performance wise, they're comparable, but desirability wise, the M3 fails to capture the same clientele, and I think that's where a M1, priced appropriately, comes in.
__________________


///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
esqu1re is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #55
T1T2GRE
CW2
 
T1T2GRE's Avatar
 
Drives: Nice days: 128i Nicer days: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania

Posts: 428
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I like the racing heritage of BMW, but I just don't see how a supercar fits in to their overall image. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Hommage become a reality, etc. But when I think of the brand v. Porsche, Ferrari, and supercar territory, it doesn't jibe. The beauty of a BMW is that is can tear it up on a track, and yet be worthy of daily driver use/basic comforts. You can be pretty damned fast with an E30M3 on the track, but at the end of the day, there's a trunk for groceries. Just like my 1M. The other day my wife and I took the 1M out for a cruise and, not that I wanted to, but we wound up making a pitstop at CostCo and snagging some early Christmas gifts for cousins and family. Few others design cars like that.

Porsche/Lotus/Ferrari etc. make great cars. But these aren't designed with any pragmatic application in mind. They also cost significantly more.

As much as I would love to see a BMW supercar, I don't see how it really fits their niche. It would be quite a departure.
__________________
You will have goosepimples.
T1T2GRE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #56
Mahzari
Captain
 
Drives: poorly
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California

Posts: 671
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
That's the spirit of BMW drivers.... 0-60 and quarter mile times.

M3 GTS already failed to do that. Apparently it is not all that easy to slap the crap out of a 911. Oh, BMW beating the GTR... yeah

I wish they did. It is not only about mpg. BMW does not want to spend too much money on R&D. The # of M3's sold relative to all the other cars they're making is low enough to offset brand MPG rating anyways. They could just make the S65 more efficient with Direct Injection and such and called the day. But that is a greater R&D cost than tuning turbos.
The M3 GTS was merely a tuned M3 (which is still based on the 3-series platform) that tried to compete with the 911 GT3 RS. Look at the difference in height, width, weight, tire size, etc. The M3 GTS is like the C63 Black Series. Instead of tuning an existing model, BMW should let ///M develop a new chassis for a street car with 500+hp that could compete with the Porsche Turbo, SLS AMG, and Audi R8 V10.

Mercedes-Benz let AMG design the SLS from the ground up, which is what BMW should let ///M do.
__________________
2012 328i Sport Line: H/K + SA
Mahzari is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #57
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
The M3 GTS was merely a tuned M3 (which is still based on the 3-series platform) that tried to compete with the 911 GT3 RS. Look at the difference in height, width, weight, tire size, etc. The M3 GTS is like the C63 Black Series. Instead of tuning an existing model, BMW should let ///M develop a new chassis for a street car with 500+hp that could compete with the Porsche Turbo, SLS AMG, and Audi R8 V10.

Mercedes-Benz let AMG design the SLS from the ground up, which is what BMW should let ///M do.
I partly agree. If they build something from ground up, that may be competitive. But on the other hand, even the GTS cost so much while as you stated it was based on the 3 series. I can't imagine the price tag if it didn't.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #58
JasonCSU
Colonel
 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,145
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
Which car is this?
It's not an actual car or concept, just an M3 photoshoped to look like an R8 competitor.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
JasonCSU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #59
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
This is all Insideline spinning quotes again. Same way they spun the AWD M5.

I was in the room- I asked the actual question.

Biermann said they have wanted to do it since the M1, and they haven't and can't. There is no business case, and hasnt been one. The board will never approve it. They can't build a case for the Z4 even with the GT3 being raced (M builds that motor BTW)

Sure they could do it but to homologate without a base BMW model would be too costly. Look at how much a GTS or CRT costs and they are based on production cars.

The CRT and GTS M3s were never board approved they were customer cars through individual. So could they do something similar and not need homologation- sure but that is not the same as building a M only car for real production.

The other thing is- BMWi is building the i8- which will be the BMW halo so why would M be working on a similar project, and why would the board ever approve a competing product?

Autoblog was in the same room and I'm pretty sure if Biermann said things how Insideline is spinning them, you would have also read it there.

Really nothing extraordinary came out if the meeting, except they found a loop hole to build the GTS and CRT models. We knew no M5 AWD and no wagons (skips a Gen). Have seen the manual spy shots etc. No Z4.

Biggest thing I learned is that the Brabham turbo was dual scroll and that the M engineer that designed that system has been and still is at M working on Turbos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Of course they would love to do it.

They have an idea on paper on how it can work and what it should be , unfortunately what they want to do is not entirely feasible at this point.
Right now everything is on Project-i , once the CFRP becomes mass volume and very cost effective than it is just now. Then you will see the sharing of technology especially material technology . But BMWi is the highest priority just now if anything will happen it will be after 2015.

* Please do not show that M3 mixed with an R8 render again , I fail to understand why anyone reckons it looks good when it is disjointed and ugly...

Darn. I was getting my hopes up, too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #60
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I'm permabanned from that section LOL

Is it the "Franken M3" with the Dinan stroked S85?
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #61
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I'm permabanned from that section LOL

Is it the "Franken M3" with the Dinan stroked S85?
I've been there. It's an e36 M3 with S65...with a supercharger....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #62
Pentium
Lieutenant
 
Pentium's Avatar
 
Drives: E36, E60, E53, E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tartous

Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

a dream and I hope it will come true!
__________________
The Best Is Yet To Come!
Pentium is offline   Syria
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #63
Mahzari
Captain
 
Drives: poorly
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California

Posts: 671
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I partly agree. If they build something from ground up, that may be competitive. But on the other hand, even the GTS cost so much while as you stated it was based on the 3 series. I can't imagine the price tag if it didn't.
A big factor in the price of the M3 GTS and M3 CRT were their limited production run. I'm glad BMW made the cars and they sold out immediately but they are intended to be for BMW enthusiasts who are looking for the best M3 possible, not the best car for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
The M3 GTS wasnt a merely tuned M3. It had over 200 lbs of weight cut from it, revised DCT, roll cage, wider wheels and tires, revised suspension, lots of aero work, etc. It was a substantive effort on behalf of M. They just failed to come to market with a car worthy of competition or the price they charged for it.
With regards to building a chasis from the ground up, its going to be a very expensive car that BMW will in all likelyhood not be able to sell and make money, and the obvious have a hard time competing with a bar that has been set very high. The SLS AMG and the R8 are both 200K+, both of which still dont perform better than the turbo which is in this case much less expensive...even the turbo S is less expensive and absolutely punishes them in every performance measure.
The problem is with M3 GTS is it looks like an M3 and is the size of an M3 with the price of Porsche's highest performance production car. To entice buyers, it can't have the interior of a $30,000 entry-level model. I mean no respect to the M3 or M3 GTS, hell, I drive an M3, but I would never pay $150,000 for an M3-based super car. I would buy the Porsche without a doubt.

To play with the big boys, BMW needs to make a car from the ground up that is meant to be a super car, it cannot be an adaptation of an existing model. It needs to be much lower, wider and lighter than anything a 3-series platform can provide.
__________________
2012 328i Sport Line: H/K + SA
Mahzari is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #64
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,954
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
This is all Insideline spinning quotes again. Same way they spun the AWD M5.

I was in the room- I asked the actual question.

Biermann said they have wanted to do it since the M1, and they haven't and can't. There is no business case, and hasnt been one. The board will never approve it. They can't build a case for the Z4 even with the GT3 being raced (M builds that motor BTW)

Sure they could do it but to homologate without a base BMW model would be too costly. Look at how much a GTS or CRT costs and they are based on production cars.

The CRT and GTS M3s were never board approved they were customer cars through individual. So could they do something similar and not need homologation- sure but that is not the same as building a M only car for real production.

The other thing is- BMWi is building the i8- which will be the BMW halo so why would M be working on a similar project, and why would the board ever approve a competing product?

Autoblog was in the same room and I'm pretty sure if Biermann said things how Insideline is spinning them, you would have also read it there.

Really nothing extraordinary came out if the meeting, except they found a loop hole to build the GTS and CRT models. We knew no M5 AWD and no wagons (skips a Gen). Have seen the manual spy shots etc. No Z4.

Biggest thing I learned is that the Brabham turbo was dual scroll and that the M engineer that designed that system has been and still is at M working on Turbos.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/259703/
bimmerjph is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 04:20 AM   #65
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Written by the same person, it is the same exact story. He is a great guy, is a freelancer so can sell to whomever he wants.

Like I said and Scott said- It is not happening.

I have ambitions of winning the 24 hours of the 'Ring in an E30 M3; that isn't happening EVER.

They have had a car drawn up since the early 1980's in one form or another. It is not happening.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #66
IS3andME
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Lexus IS300
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 410
iTrader: (0)

Anybody remember when this ran? A supposed SL killer was "being developed...and I was hoping thet they put to two S54B32s together to make a M V12
IS3andME is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST