BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

01-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
manualride
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 2008

Rattle or jingle sound while accelerating, what this might be?

Link to a video when it happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0V8DCdHpD8

Details below:
Car is BMW M3 e92 2008 with 65k on it, DCT transmission. Inspection didn't show anything wrong.
I am trying to figure out where does this rattling sound comes from and what is causing it. You can here engine sound and rattling or jingle sound. A couple facts:
- Now it happens on all gears except 1st and 7th, it used to happen only on 6th a few months ago, so now it's worse
- It happens only when I am accelerating or pressing the throttle, also on cruise control
- When I am just gently touching throttle the rattling sound is quieter, when I press throttle harder it is louder
- When I am driving faster the frequency of rattling sound is higher than when driving slower. No matter on which gear with the same speed the frequency of rattling is the same.
- Sound comes from gearbox area from what I hear.
Anybody know what this might be?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
M3 Number 86
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black m3

have you done any exhaust work? might be something just loose under the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualride View Post
Link to a video when it happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0V8DCdHpD8

Details below:
Car is BMW M3 e92 2008 with 65k on it, DCT transmission. Inspection didn't show anything wrong.
I am trying to figure out where does this rattling sound comes from and what is causing it. You can here engine sound and rattling or jingle sound. A couple facts:
- Now it happens on all gears except 1st and 7th, it used to happen only on 6th a few months ago, so now it's worse
- It happens only when I am accelerating or pressing the throttle, also on cruise control
- When I am just gently touching throttle the rattling sound is quieter, when I press throttle harder it is louder
- When I am driving faster the frequency of rattling sound is higher than when driving slower. No matter on which gear with the same speed the frequency of rattling is the same.
- Sound comes from gearbox area from what I hear.
Anybody know what this might be?
Recently exhaust mods ?

01-14-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
manualride
Registered
Rep

The car is completely stock, no work done on exhaust. I had to do some fixes a month ago: change thermostat, evaporator, engine cover gaskets and 2 cooling temp sensors, but the noise was the same before and after fixes.
A few people talk about exhaust but if it is exhaust shouldn't this happen also on 7th gear and 1st and neutral which is not the case?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 03:25 AM   #5
OzCraig
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Usually someone elses

You may have a small crack in one of the exhaust heat shields. They buzz/jingle like hell under the slightest loads or at the right resonant frequencies.
Jack the car up and give the exhaust some light taps along it's length with a rubber mallet. If it's attached to the exhaust you should hear a zing.
Give that a go and let us know what you find

Craig
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 04:32 AM   #6
floenbier
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

The car is completely stock
      01-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Bucki14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128 AW CR M-Sport | e92 DCT m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCraig View Post
You may have a small crack in one of the exhaust heat shields. They buzz/jingle like hell under the slightest loads or at the right resonant frequencies.
Jack the car up and give the exhaust some light taps along it's length with a rubber mallet. If it's attached to the exhaust you should hear a zing.
Give that a go and let us know what you find

Craig
+1

I had a similar issue like this that happened only at certain instances during acceleration and I discovered I had a loose exhaust clamp. Car was also stock...just wore out over time. Not saying you have the same situation but Id check as it was hitting against the heat shield causing a jingle/rattle.

2009 e92 m3 | Jerez Black/Black | dct |

instagram: Ostate_M3
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
OzCraig
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Usually someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by floenbier View Post
The car is completely stock
Heat shield cracks aren't related to modification of stock parts. It can happen for a number or reasons: a defect in the metal and vibration over time causes fatigue and cracking. Sudden expansion or contraction. Etc.
I had it on a 4 month old stock WRX, a 5 year old RS Turbo Liberty (Was stock at the time) and a 1 year old STi that was far from stock (Group N Rally car).
Luck of the draw
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:14 AM   #9
manualride
Registered
Rep

Thank you guys for the replies and suggestions. Went today to a car service with technician listening to the noise, he did jack the car up and didn't find any issues with exhaust or heat shields. He found some missing bolt in the flex disk area, the part that covers it from the bottom (forgot the name). He changed all of the bolt, but it didn't fix the issue. We noticed that flex disk in some places is a little bit rusty, so he suggested to replacing it. Is it possible that actually old flex disk may put something in a rattling vibrations? or unbalance the drive shaft or the transmission parts? Interesting thing is that the noise comes from inside of the car. If I drive with my windows rolled down in a tunnel I can hear my exhaust very well bouncing from the tunnel walls and there is no weird sound what so ever. I am worried that this might be a transmission issue :/ Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0