BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Boosted John's Avatar
12
Rep
622
Posts

 
Drives: 13 AH3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jax, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Resident Gun Guys

I am in the market for a new firearm. I want a conceal and carry weapon.
I currently own a Compact Sig P229 but is a little too large for cc duty.
What are you guys using? I am heavily leaning towards the glock 26 but,
the xd9 isn't out of the question either. any other recommendations of different guns?
__________________
2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3 /// Msport Pkg. M performance fornt lip, Black Kidney Grills, H&R Sport Springs, BBS CH-R

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
177
Rep
4,651
Posts

 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

iTrader: (7)

I carry a diamondback arms DB380. It's small, lightweight, and I carry it in my pocket. Whether or not that's enough gun for your application is up to you, but it's a well built gun and it's super portable. Shoots well too.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Blake
Banned
No_Country
177
Rep
4,651
Posts

 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I carry a diamondback arms DB380. It's small, lightweight, and I carry it in my pocket. Whether or not that's enough gun for your application is up to you, but it's a well built gun and it's super portable. Shoots well too.
They also make a 9MM version in the same frame. I probably would have bought that gun had it been out at the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
infinitekid2002's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
3,400
Posts

 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
Our stupid governor Jerry Brown just signed an anti-open carry law!

California became the fifth state to prohibit openly carrying handguns in public after Gov. Jerry Brown announced Monday that he had signed the ban into law amid heavy opposition from gun enthusiasts.

AB144 by state Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-Pasadena, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in public or in vehicles, with violators facing up to a year in prison or a potential fine of $1,000 when the law takes effect on Jan 1.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...ics&id=8384007

I hope the criminals obey this new law!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
37
Rep
1,468
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suffolk/Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted John View Post
I am in the market for a new firearm. I want a conceal and carry weapon.
I currently own a Compact Sig P229 but is a little too large for cc duty.
What are you guys using? I am heavily leaning towards the glock 26 but,
the xd9 isn't out of the question either. any other recommendations of different guns?
How compact are you looking? If you want a gun that you have no question about being able to carry in anything, look into .380s. I carry a S&W Bodyguard. Manual thumb safety, slide locks back on an empty mag (uncommon in this class), and it has a laser integrated. The Sig P238 is also worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
HOG4DNR
Second Lieutenant
HOG4DNR's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Z4MC IB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pompano Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

I love semi autos, but I carry a S & W 340PD revolver. It weighs approx 10 oz and with a Barami grip, I don't even need a holster.

It might be a little wider then some of the smaller semis but It will never jam and needs very little cleaning and lube.
__________________
2008 Z4MC #1786/1815 "The Last IB w/ Extended Leather Made" Black Grills, Stubby, CDV, De-Badged
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
NYCGP's Avatar
55
Rep
1,578
Posts

 
Drives: Bandwagon
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jungle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
I hope the criminals obey this new law!
....really???
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
infinitekid2002's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
3,400
Posts

 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
sarcasm...stupid politicians don't get or don't care that the only persons that are hurt by gun laws are law abiding citizens. It's all for show.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
san~man
Tired
san~man's Avatar
44
Rep
2,617
Posts

 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted John View Post
I am in the market for a new firearm. I want a conceal and carry weapon.
I currently own a Compact Sig P229 but is a little too large for cc duty.
What are you guys using? I am heavily leaning towards the glock 26 but,
the xd9 isn't out of the question either. any other recommendations of different guns?
You should consider the 27, you lose a couple rounds but it's a 40cal round vs 9mm round.
__________________
BMW-less
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Our stupid governor Jerry Brown just signed an anti-open carry law!

California became the fifth state to prohibit openly carrying handguns in public after Gov. Jerry Brown announced Monday that he had signed the ban into law amid heavy opposition from gun enthusiasts.

AB144 by state Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-Pasadena, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in public or in vehicles, with violators facing up to a year in prison or a potential fine of $1,000 when the law takes effect on Jan 1.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...ics&id=8384007

I hope the criminals obey this new law!
Wait... so if you can't have it in your car...how the hell are you suppose to take it to the range?

You know, for those who have supercars with no trunks....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
miiipilot
Captain
miiipilot's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
800
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 TiAg 135i 6mt M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

I have a Sig P232. Perfect size. Although .380 rounds are extremely hard to find. I had to pay $30+ for a box of 50 target rounds. Ridiculous
__________________
miiipilot 2011 135i TiAg w/Black Boston 6mt M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Value Pkg
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Rotorocious
Major
Rotorocious's Avatar
32
Rep
1,461
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

I've heard great things about river lcps
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
37
Rep
1,468
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suffolk/Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
I have a Sig P232. Perfect size. Although .380 rounds are extremely hard to find. I had to pay $30+ for a box of 50 target rounds. Ridiculous
...really? .380 is a pretty common round. i pay about 16 bucks a box for range rounds, and that's high. a box of Winchester PDX rounds was only $23 bucks. and they sell them at walmart.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
GT3 Tim
Moderator
GT3 Tim's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,897
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

I got a Beretta Tomcat. Its a .25 (edit: it's a .32 -- I'm a meat head) and nice and compact. I tried out several others, but this gun fit my hand perfectly. I am happy with it.

I scored 215 the first time I fired it and qualified, so it ain't too bad on accuracy! I am pretty sure all the points <5 were fired using my left hand too.

I also have a Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm)....that's for "winter" carry, when I have a coat on. lol
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
Kroy
Brigadier General
Kroy's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,035
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Our stupid governor Jerry Brown just signed an anti-open carry law!

California became the fifth state to prohibit openly carrying handguns in public after Gov. Jerry Brown announced Monday that he had signed the ban into law amid heavy opposition from gun enthusiasts.

AB144 by state Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-Pasadena, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in public or in vehicles, with violators facing up to a year in prison or a potential fine of $1,000 when the law takes effect on Jan 1.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...ics&id=8384007

I hope the criminals obey this new law!
always wanted a gun and was kind of planning on buying one soon. hope this doesn't make things more difficult for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
Arkie
New Member
Arkie's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Corner of no and where, Arkansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
How compact are you looking? If you want a gun that you have no question about being able to carry in anything, look into .380s. I carry a S&W Bodyguard. Manual thumb safety, slide locks back on an empty mag (uncommon in this class), and it has a laser integrated. The Sig P238 is also worth considering.
I agree that the P238 should be considered but it does have it's drawbacks. IMHO it is a holster only pistol being single action. I wouldn't be comfortable carrying it in condition one in my pocket. If memory serves it is a right hand pistol only which may be a factor to the OP.

To the OP, go to ranges, gun stores, find a firearm that fits your hand and also adapts to your natural point of aim. That is why I went the the XD40 sub compact instead of the Glock. Both are equal firearms.

Another option for the OP is the Kimber Ultra Carry II. That is my choice carry. Small but packs a punch with the .45. Mine has worked flawlessly out of the box. Wish I could say that about my Kimber Aegis or Walther P380. Both of those have had FTF issues so I can't trust them for a primary carry. Boosted John you decide what you like. Firearms are like tools use the right one for the job. Figure out your needs that suit the best. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
bolinp78
G35 convertee
bolinp78's Avatar
25
Rep
1,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (1)

Is price a concern?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
Juicehead
First Lieutenant
Juicehead's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
387
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (1)

I would go with a .380 ACP as it fits perfectly in my back pocket. My buddy has the compact Kahr 9mm, it is wide and it doesnt fit well in my pocket. It is fairly heavy too.


I own both a Diamondback 380 and a Kahr P380

I you are not too tight on cash, the Kahr shoots like a dream!

As far as .380s go, personally, here is what I would entertain...

Kahr P380
Diamondback DB380
Ruger LCP
Kel-Tec P3-AT

Stay far away from the S&W Bodyguard, I have heard nothing but nightmares about that.

For Reference


This is a good PDF to compare sizes/weights

http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf


Kahr


DB380

Last edited by Juicehead; 10-19-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Digital.James
Colonel
Digital.James's Avatar
39
Rep
2,610
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
You should consider the 27, you lose a couple rounds but it's a 40cal round vs 9mm round.
but it's also harder to control, and quite peppy. the .40 had its advantages, but with modern ammo a 9mm or .380 are just as effective in dropping guys. all those small round myths don't really apply anymore
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
37
Rep
1,468
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suffolk/Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
I agree that the P238 should be considered but it does have it's drawbacks. IMHO it is a holster only pistol being single action. I wouldn't be comfortable carrying it in condition one in my pocket. If memory serves it is a right hand pistol only which may be a factor to the OP.
i'd never carry a gun without a holster, regardless of where it is. my BG380 stays in my pocket in a holster, round in the chamber, safety on. with a pocket holster, i'd be equally comfortable carrying the P238. round in the chamber, safety on. as long as your finger stays off the trigger until you're ready to use it, you shouldn't have a problem. and theoretically speaking, since you'd only draw a handgun if you needed to use it, you shouldn't have to worry about accidental discharges unless you're careless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicehead View Post
I would go with a .380 ACP as it fits perfectly in my back pocket. My buddy has the compact Kahr 9mm, it is wide and it doesnt fit well in my pocket. It is fairly heavy too.


I own both a Diamondback 380 and a Kahr P380

I you are not too tight on cash, the Kahr shoots like a dream!

As far as .380s go, personally, here is what I would entertain...

Kahr P380
Diamondback DB380
Ruger LCP
Kel-Tec P3-AT

Stay far away from the S&W Bodyguard, I have heard nothing but nightmares about that.

For Reference


This is a good PDF to compare sizes/weights

http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf


Kahr
[IMG]http://www.gunblast.com/images/NRA2008/DSC04264.jpg[IMG]

DB380
[IMG]http://mouseguns.com/observe/db380big.jpg[IMG]
i'm curious what 'nightmares' you've heard about with the BG380...i'll admit that it's not a perfect gun, but i have NEVER had a FTF, FTE or other malfunction with 1000+ rounds downrange. the early versions had their issues, but as far as i can tell, that's been resolved. and since the price has been dropped...(i got mine for $379), it's really tough to beat. You can't outfit another .380 with a decent laser for cheaper than that.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
5,192
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
I watched a Kahr literally break into pieces in my cousins hand after one magazine. We hadn't even left the store. They bought it back immediately and stopped carrying the line.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #22
Juicehead
First Lieutenant
Juicehead's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
387
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
i'm curious what 'nightmares' you've heard about with the BG380...i'll admit that it's not a perfect gun, but i have NEVER had a FTF, FTE or other malfunction with 1000+ rounds downrange. the early versions had their issues, but as far as i can tell, that's been resolved. and since the price has been dropped...(i got mine for $379), it's really tough to beat. You can't outfit another .380 with a decent laser for cheaper than that.
It was initially at the top of my list when I was in the market for a conceal carry. The integrated laser was actually a great selling point. But the more I read into the FTF, FTE issues, laser button issues, and problems with the takedown lever, the more I lost hope for the gun. It killed me to know a company like S&W would let a product like they ever hit the streets, even if it was initial release. If indeed they have resolved their quality control issues, that is good to hear.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
nra approves thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST