BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #287
iveman89
First Lieutenant
 
iveman89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 E93
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: watsonville, CA

Posts: 392
iTrader: (0)

I think it depends on your daughter. I was 18 when I got my M3 and it's great. I did give money to my old man when we bought it, so I made a sacrifice. I also love this car and intend to keep it and understand the value of it. If you love your car you wont do anything stupid in it. I do what ever I can to keep it perfect. My dad also said if I receive any ticket in it, car was gone.. he was dead serious. 4 years later car is great I'm great, unfortunately I moved to LA and left the car up north the keep it safe from all the LA drivers. On the other hand my sister got a 330ci and she is the best when it comes to keeping the car in good condition. She just treats it like a beater car.
iveman89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #288
DDS2015
Major
 
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg/Minneapolis

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
When I was 17 my parents gave me a huge SUV. If they would've given me a sports car I probably would've killed myself a couple times by now. If I was 17 and just handed a car like an M3 then I also probably wouldn't work that hard in school and at work. I'm 22 now and in dental school, and just recently traded in that huge SUV for a 328xi. It was a present to myself for making it this far at such a young age (the average age in my class is 27). The M3 (M4) will wait until I graduate and have another achievement under my belt.
DDS2015 is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #289
Trevor .:R
Captain
 
Drives: 11 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks/Camarillo/Westlake

Posts: 671
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
11 M3  [5.00]
I have a 2008 BMW M3, currently am 17 years old. Bought it used 7 months ago for 42k, it was though not my first car i got my first car at 15 a 1994 black 5 series =D automatic though, then at 16 bought a VW R32 and had it up until i traded it in. That was the car i learned manual on, i know drive a 2008 bmw m3, no competition package or anything just the base model no edc. I dont mind to have those anyways im fine with what i got and i am fine to not have those necessities. I really did respect the car and after driving it a few times have found my limits. I slowly am starting to mod it here and there, such as filter, exhaust, coilovers and i though paying for aftermarket parts on a VW was bad... Anyways long story short i would not let it be the FIRST car you get, but i enjoy the car go to meets and will be attending track days when im 18, rather then some kid who takes a car and blacks it out, or has wheel gap >.<

Just my 2 cents
__________________
Trevor .:R is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #290
M3KW
Private
 
Drives: '11 E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

I think that if your child is responsible enough and you have trust in them, I see no reason bar finances and insurance why it should not be considered. I know a person who got it for his 21st birthday and he's taken such good care of it. Obviously you don't get it for kids who are immature, unless you want them dead...
__________________
2011 M3 M-DCT/Jerez Black/19' OEM/Harman-Kardon Sound/EDC/M-Dynamic/Michelin Pilot Sport 2
M3KW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #291
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3KW View Post
Obviously you don't get it for kids who are immature, unless you want them dead...
This car can make a kid (or a grown up) immature. That's the problem.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #292
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,413
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3KW View Post
I think that if your child is responsible enough and you have trust in them, I see no reason bar finances and insurance why it should not be considered. I know a person who got it for his 21st birthday and he's taken such good care of it. Obviously you don't get it for kids who are immature, unless you want them dead...
Its not about just being responsible..its having the driving experience necessary so that the young driver doesn't get him/herself in trouble regardless of the vehicle being driven. Throw in 400+hp into the mix and it could be a recipe for disaster.

Its like a new pilot in the Air Force, they don't just throw him into a F16..he's going to start with a trainer to work themselves up to speed vs. a F16 where things can get out of hand as the aircraft gets out in front of the pilot. Same thing with a high performance car.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #293
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,413
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
This car can make a kid (or a grown up) immature. That's the problem.
LOL..I'm in my 40s and it brings out the hooligan sometimes.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #294
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
 
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 Int Blue DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Hell No. This is what happens when you give a teen an M3.

http://autoworld.wordpress.com/2008/...a-house-in-la/



DAMN!!! I am young myself (22) and owning this car comes with BIG RESPONSIBILITY. Is is REAR wheel drive (kids reading this) so when you mess around and think you have total control over the car well you just dont. Whenever you turn "traction" off or if your M mode is set to turn it off PLEASE BE CAREFUL! I cant tell you how many close encounters I've had. This car can be VERY dangerous and if any young people consider it PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY
Mr.MichaelM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #295
kevblah
Private
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MA

Posts: 92
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to kevblah
Not necessarily trying to fuel the fire, but wouldn't an M3 be safer in some respects because of the beefed up suspension and brakes, not to mention other top-notch safety systems because it's a BMW? This might be a stretch, but hell...maybe the kid would be more careful in the M3 because they know it's an expensive car and wouldn't want to wreck it.

I disagree with all of the people that scoff at the idea of giving a teen driver a nice car. Maybe 90% or more of teens aren't responsible enough to handle it, but there are some kids that can...that's obviously up to the parent to decide.

My first car when I was 16 was a 2002 MB C320, not by any means a sports car, but 215hp RWD nonetheless. Looking back, I do think it was probably too much car for a new driver, but I was relatively careful with it. At 18, I got a '02 CL600, then an '07 CLK550, and then a '07 CLS63 AMG. I'm 21 now, just recently sold the CLS63, and am currently driving an e46 M3.

In my opinion, if you have the means, buy your child a nice first car. It shouldn't be fast, but it should be nice. There's absolutely no reason to buy them a clunker Toyota or Honda, when you can easily afford to buy them a much safer luxury car.
kevblah is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #296
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
 
James T. Kirk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
Not necessarily trying to fuel the fire, but wouldn't an M3 be safer in some respects because of the beefed up suspension and brakes, not to mention other top-notch safety systems because it's a BMW? This might be a stretch, but hell...maybe the kid would be more careful in the M3 because they know it's an expensive car and wouldn't want to wreck it.
I would agree. It's just the foot on the pedal that one can't rely on.
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #297
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Is this still ongoing ... where when will it end?

waiting at the STOP/ARET sign for the to give me a sign 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th & 6th ... I'm gone
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #298
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
This car can make a kid (or a grown up) immature. That's the problem.
Anything that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds can get even the most responsible of drivers in trouble.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #299
DocJohn
Second Lieutenant
 
DocJohn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 251
iTrader: (0)

Answer:
NO
The majority of deaths in that age group are via car accidents. They are almost guaranteed to have an accident. Why enable immature people with a vehicle capable of murderous speed??
They will be fine with a nice 328i and you can still show all of your friends how rich and cool you are without killing your kids.

BTW, go and google: porsche - decapitation - teen (warning, you will see grey matter)
and you will see some real horror filled pics about a joy ride a young girl took in her dads 911. She took it without permission, so you can't fault dad. But, you can take a measure of the level of maturity that the individual possessed at the time of her tragic death. Ask anyone who has worked the ER about who comes in on MV trauma cases......
DocJohn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #300
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
Not necessarily trying to fuel the fire, but wouldn't an M3 be safer in some respects because of the beefed up suspension and brakes, not to mention other top-notch safety systems because it's a BMW? This might be a stretch, but hell...maybe the kid would be more careful in the M3 because they know it's an expensive car and wouldn't want to wreck it.
No it wouldn't. It is not a beefed up suspension, it is a sports suspension which means it leaves less margin for error. If you take a car like Prius that doesn't handle, I can understand the argument. But even a 10year old BMW will handle enough to keep you out of trouble. In terms of M3 brakes... stock brakes in any modern car can stop you safely in sane speeds.

If the safety of the kid is the argument point, a used 328 would do the trick. If you're that worried, then get a full cage, race seat, HANS, 6 point harness and fire extinguisher. Not an M3.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #301
kevblah
Private
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MA

Posts: 92
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to kevblah
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
No it wouldn't. It is not a beefed up suspension, it is a sports suspension which means it leaves less margin for error. If you take a car like Prius that doesn't handle, I can understand the argument. But even a 10year old BMW will handle enough to keep you out of trouble. In terms of M3 brakes... stock brakes in any modern car can stop you safely in sane speeds.

If the safety of the kid is the argument point, a used 328 would do the trick. If you're that worried, then get a full cage, race seat, HANS, 6 point harness and fire extinguisher. Not an M3.
Right, and this was kinda what I was arguing towards. Not necessarily saying an M3 is the right car for a teen driver, but a used 328 would most definitely be a better choice than a Honda Civic.
kevblah is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #302
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
Right, and this was kinda what I was arguing towards. Not necessarily saying an M3 is the right car for a teen driver, but a used 328 would most definitely be a better choice than a Honda Civic.
Agreed.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #303
MattE92
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

lease her a 328. an M3 is a race car...
MattE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #304
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

I leased a 08' 328xi coupe for myself as my first car. Felt very safe in that thing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #305
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
 
James T. Kirk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
waiting at the STOP/ARET sign for the to give me a sign 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th & 6th ... I'm gone

I know. This thread won't quit. It's taken on a life of its own.
At first it was cool, then weird, then maddening, then cool again.

Truly...
Attached Images
 
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #306
eamon
Captain
 
eamon's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dallas

Posts: 790
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I leased a 08' 328xi coupe for myself as my first car. Felt very safe in that thing.
Aren't you on the 6speed 911 forums?
An 08 328i as your "first" car and a porsche as your second at around the age of 20?
Nice
__________________
black/black/black e92 loaded
Instagram: _eamon_
eamon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #307
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
Aren't you on the 6speed 911 forums?
An 08 328i as your "first" car and a porsche as your second at around the age of 20?
Nice
I am on 6speed but not the 911 forums, and I'm not 20.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #308
eamon
Captain
 
eamon's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dallas

Posts: 790
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I am on 6speed but not the 911 forums, and I'm not 20.
Oh my b
__________________
black/black/black e92 loaded
Instagram: _eamon_
eamon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST