BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GTB Performance

10-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
karussell
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 4 wheels

rattling noise - replacement exhaust

I searched and found a few older posts on the same symptoms and diagnosis. I had a rattling/buzzing sound coming from the rear of the car at just under 2500 rpm. Turns out the muffler hangars have broken right at their welds and the fix is to replace all the components with broken hangars rather than re-welding them. My car is a 2010 E90 with 30K miles. It has 2 winters under its belt which probably didn't help. Since I found a couple other posts on this same problem I'm thinking its probably going to be more common as the cars age and probably accelerated with winter use.

The dealer here in germany has offered to replace the oem muffler with either the M performance exhaust or AC Schnitzer at a pretty nice discount. There is a credit of 800 for the oem muffler and of course the labor is free as long as the car is under warranty still.
      10-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
F82_SID
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
I searched and found a few older posts on the same symptoms and diagnosis. I had a rattling/buzzing sound coming from the rear of the car at just under 2500 rpm. Turns out the muffler hangars have broken right at their welds and the fix is to replace all the components with broken hangars rather than re-welding them. My car is a 2010 E90 with 30K miles. It has 2 winters under its belt which probably didn't help. Since I found a couple other posts on this same problem I'm thinking its probably going to be more common as the cars age and probably accelerated with winter use.

The dealer here in germany has offered to replace the oem muffler with either the M performance exhaust or AC Schnitzer at a pretty nice discount. There is a credit of 800 for the oem muffler and of course the labor is free as long as the car is under warranty still.
Easy choice, go with M performance exhaust! I did the OEM Exhaust mod myself and I love it but if I got a HUGE discount / credit for the M performance exhaust then I would definitely go with that. That is my fav aftermarket exhaust for the M (except for maybe the Kressinegg F1).