BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 Silverstone, 6MT, 19's
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montréal

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

C63 coupe Review

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1abqEIeOa

launch 0-280


cold start sound


My lease comes due in january and I'm getting more and more convinced about picking up a new 2012 c63 (coupe or sedan don't know yet) especially since here in canada the residual value of M3's were lowered, I mean 27K after 36 months?? come on BMW canada. Mercedes have it at 44K. Obviously this impacts the monthly payments by a significant margin.

What do you guys think?
__________________
e90m3_6MT is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
 
I M STIG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

Well, if I'm honest, I love the C63. If it had a manual I might have bought one over my M3. However, it's still nowhere near as balanced, but the AMG is a true hoon-mobile as an every day car. I love it. Hat's off to Mercedes for doing a proper job.

Just remember, order yours with a limited-slip diff. Otherwise, you'll just spin and spin and spin whenever you're playing around.
__________________

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
I M STIG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

0-60 in 3.7 seconds? I'm sorry but that's a first.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 Silverstone, 6MT, 19's
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montréal

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

If I place an order it will most definitively be with the performance pack (480 hp and LSD)
__________________
e90m3_6MT is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
If I place an order it will most definitively be with the performance pack (480 hp and LSD)
That's the way to go.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,193
iTrader: (25)

Um, the sound of that exhaust is terrible...


...and you guys complain about the exhaust note on current BMW's???? Uhhhhh!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Ateam
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (0)

The shifts sound super quick thought
Ateam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
rye m3
Lieutenant
 
rye m3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 489
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
The shifts sound super quick thought
Slushbox
If you are comparing the payments, you're leasing and can't really afford it. Sounds like Mercedes is subvening the lease payments.
__________________
E92 M3 MR on Red/Black ZCP Sound
Carbon

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
rye m3 is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Brosef
Colonel
 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,086
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Um, the sound of that exhaust is terrible...


...and you guys complain about the exhaust note on current BMW's???? Uhhhhh!
I never thought I'd stoop to using this emoticon, but here goes:

Brosef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 Silverstone, 6MT, 19's
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montréal

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Slushbox
If you are comparing the payments, you're leasing and can't really afford it. Sounds like Mercedes is subvening the lease payments.
Really buddy? I have 4 BMW's, including my M3 for the last 3 years.
(x5 4.8 2010, X3 35i 2011, 328i 2009, M3 2008)

I think I should be alright finance wise. The reason I am looking at the payments is that as much as I like an M3, I don't like overpaying.

My M3 has a 40K residual, now for the new 2011's they dropped it to 27K

Since the C63 has a residual of around 44K that means to get the same payments your looking at a downpayment of 17K, hence my train of thought, is the M3 worth 17K more than a C63??? plus I think the new interior with the red/black leather combo is very nice.

As much as I like the M V8, and I do think it's one of the one of the greatest engines to have been made and I'm sad to think BMW is moving away from their N/A high rev engines, I couldn't stop grinning every time I floored the demo C63.

I'll even get to drive it on the track before buying it, I was invited to the amg performance tour in palm beach where they hand you the keys to a few Amg's (sls, sls roadster, cls 63, e63 and of course the C63 in coupe and sedan form.) and then let you loose on the track. should make for an interesting day.

Anyways, money is not the factor here, it's more the fun factor not the last 10th at the track, what top gear calls the soul of the car, and when J.C. says it's an axe murderer with headlights, you can bet he's right with that one.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to count my 2010 cooper S so I guess that makes it 5.
__________________
e90m3_6MT is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
Really buddy? I have 4 BMW's, including my M3 for the last 3 years.
(x5 4.8 2010, X3 35i 2011, 328i 2009, M3 2008)

I think I should be alright finance wise. The reason I am looking at the payments is that as much as I like an M3, I don't like overpaying.

My M3 has a 40K residual, now for the new 2011's they dropped it to 27K

Since the C63 has a residual of around 44K that means to get the same payments your looking at a downpayment of 17K, hence my train of thought, is the M3 worth 17K more than a C63??? plus I think the new interior with the red/black leather combo is very nice.

As much as I like the M V8, and I do think it's one of the one of the greatest engines to have been made and I'm sad to think BMW is moving away from their N/A high rev engines, I couldn't stop grinning every time I floored the demo C63.

I'll even get to drive it on the track before buying it, I was invited to the amg performance tour in palm beach where they hand you the keys to a few Amg's (sls, sls roadster, cls 63, e63 and of course the C63 in coupe and sedan form.) and then let you loose on the track. should make for an interesting day.

Anyways, money is not the factor here, it's more the fun factor not the last 10th at the track, what top gear calls the soul of the car, and when J.C. says it's an axe murderer with headlights, you can bet he's right with that one.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to count my 2010 cooper S so I guess that makes it 5.
Pics! Pics! Pics!
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
flitcroft
New Member
 
Drives: MY11 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hollywood, CA

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Interesting. I drove the C63 before buying the M3 and absolutely hated it. There's so much body roll and that plasticky, cheap interior with the pop-up navigation killed it for me.
flitcroft is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitcroft View Post
Interesting. I drove the C63 before buying the M3 and absolutely hated it. There's so much body roll and that plasticky, cheap interior with the pop-up navigation killed it for me.
The 2012's have fixed this. Interior quality has improved and the pop up nav is gone. They've also added camber to all four corners.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 Silverstone, 6MT, 19's
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montréal

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Here they are, Don't have much pics of the 328 but again, probably the only shooting brake 3 series funny what some snow storms can do!

I especially like the one where I put the lotus in the rearview mirror, a true testament to the M3 handling even on such a tight technical track!
Attached Images
        
__________________

Last edited by e90m3_6MT; 10-13-2011 at 12:59 AM.
e90m3_6MT is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,742
iTrader: (289)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Slushbox
If you are comparing the payments, you're leasing and can't really afford it. Sounds like Mercedes is subvening the lease payments.
Sorry but this is a rather ignorant statement
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #16
Edward
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,311
iTrader: (0)

Um, is that white one in the vid even a c63? looks narrow, no badges, doesn't even seem to have quad exhaust.....

And it's not a slush box. Pretty sure Mercedes finally put in a dual clutch.

And yes, the c class interior is a plastic graveyard
Edward is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #17
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Um, is that white one in the vid even a c63? looks narrow, no badges, doesn't even seem to have quad exhaust.....

And it's not a slush box. Pretty sure Mercedes finally put in a dual clutch.

And yes, the c class interior is a plastic graveyard
Nope, it's not a dual clutch. It's a single clutch with a wet clutch pack instead of a torque converter. It can do double de-clutching on downshifts, though. And the interior has been fixed, from what the reviews say. Also, you've got a point that first one isn't a C63. The exhaust doesn't even sound like a stock C63 and I don't see any badges.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #18
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 Silverstone, 6MT, 19's
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montréal

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Um, is that white one in the vid even a c63? looks narrow, no badges, doesn't even seem to have quad exhaust.....
the sound should confirm that for you, no c300 sounds like that! also don't forget it's a cold start. also look at the smoke from the exhaust you'll see there's pipes on both sides.
also a decatted c63 sound much more crazy than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
And it's not a slush box. Pretty sure Mercedes finally put in a dual clutch.
it's still not a true dual clutch like the M3, rather it's the 7 speed auto box where they have replaced the torque converter with a clutch pack. so it's sort of is a dual clutch but isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
And yes, the c class interior is a plastic graveyard
the last one is a pre facelift interior, the first 2 are from the 2012 MY.
I fully agree the 2008-2011 were a plastic graveyard but the 2012, wow, just look at it. even has the leather dash on the second pic!
Attached Images
   
__________________

Last edited by e90m3_6MT; 10-13-2011 at 01:14 AM.
e90m3_6MT is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #19
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

The exhaust note is nothing an Akra can't fix.

-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #20
karussell
Major
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GA

Posts: 1,100
iTrader: (1)

i configured one online and it came out to over $80K. along with weighing 2 tons and driving with a few on the autobahn here I don't think its worth it.
__________________
"It gave you amazing satisfaction, but anyone who says he loved it is either a liar or he wasn't going fast enough." - Jackie Stewart on racing at the Nurburgring
karussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Slushbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
It's a single clutch with a wet clutch pack instead of a torque converter.
It's not a 'single clutch'; it's a regular planetary gear automatic transmission with a multiple wet clutch pack, just like motorcycles. But not a 'slushbox' indeed, due to the lack of a torque converter. IMHO, it's the best auto transmission in the market. More robust than DCTs, shifts almost as quickly (negligible difference), and more reliable.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #22
aw_330i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 MW M3
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto / Richmond Hill

Posts: 197
iTrader: (1)

I'm in the same boat as you right now. My M3 lease is up in March 2012, planning to give it back a bit early since i used too much km's.

The m3 will cost more than the C63 to lease on the same terms.

Anyway, i haven't decided on the next car as of yet but i did go test drive a C63 with performance package. First impression was, i love the seats! it hugged me like a glove. Secondly just starting it up i was really impressed with the sound and the last thing was the acceleration, wow its fast.

My sales offered me to go to West Palm Beach as well to test the amg cars there in Dec. so i'll be heading there to see if i really want a AMG car as my next car.
aw_330i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST