BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

10-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #23
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
true that esquire, but was leaning toward sunroof if i pick up an e92...CF roof looks nice too..if i get a sunroof, would I defy the purpose or go against the norm?! thnxs
I got the sunroof for a few reasons:

1. I like being able to open it both for the light and also to get that much more engine noise into the cabin.
2. Didn't like the way CF looked with Le Mans Blue
3. (Didn't know this at the time, but it's true) Sunroof means steel roof, which decreases the amount of road noise getting into the cabin compared to CF.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #24
esquire
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe

Quote:
true that esquire, but was leaning toward sunroof if i pick up an e92...CF roof looks nice too..if i get a sunroof, would I defy the purpose or go against the norm?! thnxs
if you're buying this car outright, i say go with CF. i believe it will make your car easier to sell. the m3, afterall, is an enthusiast car, and enthusiasts like the details that make the car unique - CF roof being primary amongst them. i know for me, i would never even consider buying a used m3 with a moonroof.

if you're leasing the car, go with the sunroof since you seem to love it so much. you can return the car and never have to think twice about resale value.

personally, i think the CF roof set against the right color can make the car look that much more aggressive/beautiful. contrast is a key element in good aesthetic design.

whatever you decide, you won't be 'defying the car's purpose'. The M3's only purpose is to please its driver. So choose whatever pleases you.

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #25
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I got the sunroof for a few reasons:

1. I like being able to open it both for the light and also to get that much more engine noise into the cabin.
2. Didn't like the way CF looked with Le Mans Blue
3. (Didn't know this at the time, but it's true) Sunroof means steel roof, which decreases the amount of road noise getting into the cabin compared to CF.
CF looks sexy with Le Mans. CF looks sexy with Blue in general, I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #26
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Drives: M3

Dude this should be the easiest decision of your life! First I would question even owning an m3 in DC! I lived there and did not even need a car nor would I have enjoyed one with the roads and traffic of that city. If you still go for the car than you are looking at MAYBE 25 days a year if that where the weather would be good for the vert down! The winter's suck, the summer is way hot and humid. You may get a couple fall and spring days/nights.

Now if you are going to so cal, arizona etc than it is a real dilemma but for you it should not even be a question. Go rent a vert a few weekends out of the year for that matter. You could spend a bit of money and rent a lambo for 4 weekends per year from a car rental and drive the vert.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #27
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Drives: M3

And for someone who said is there a car that the vert is the best of both worlds. Well the new Zonda (although not available here) cabrio does not add ANY extra weight for the cabrio. Apparently the body is that rigid even without the top and it is exactly as fast and weighs the same as the roofed version. That is an achievement if you ask me!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #28
pharmd718
Registered
Rep

Drives: Mini Cooper S

I am in the same boat as you. Looking to trade my Mini Cooper S for a E92 DSG M3. I can't afford a new one and am looking for a returned lease. The dealer just called me with a 2009 smg E93 that was just returned. I know that you can feel a 0-60 difference if its at least 0.3 seconds. with the 400 additional pounds I suspected that it would be considerably more then 0.3 seconds.
Someone here stated that they drove the E93 and E92 back to back and the difference was huge. That's what I wanted to find out. I will tell the dealer I am no longer interested in the E93 (although my wife would like a convertible) and hold out for an E92.
I have a subaru forester for daily/long trips/winter driving ...so i am not concerned about trunk space. just want it to be as fun and fast as possible. ill probably not track the car...like you.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
vic85
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW E93 M3

e93 cuz the way the engine sounds with the top down on a canyon drive is something special
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7-seven View Post
E92, E90 and the 93 IMO, IN MY OPINION, is not a real M car and looks really ugly
also without ZCP it's not a real M. And for pete's sake, if you get the moonroof with a E92, just go ahead and hang yourself now to save yourself the humilation.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #31
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Quote:
good feedback all.
jphughan - I think you are reading my mind! good feedback and pretty close to what i feel..I think right now i am %60 coupe, %40 Vert.
Think about ...

... the vert it's like 2 bricks (front and back) connected with a leaf (floor) not very solid when you think about it ...

--- the coupe on the other hand is a solid piece of engineering ...

I think in the end you end up with a coupe ... Happy Trails

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #32
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Unless you plan to track it, and assuming you can afford it, get the 'vert. It drives like 9/10 of the coupe/sedan, and you can drop the top......priceless

Last edited by cole328; 11-21-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #33
donovan
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep

Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package

If you get a convertible you better not do this:

1. Complain about gas mileage, YOUR OVER 4000 POUNDS!
2. Complain about rain issues
3. Get a supercharger, why add horsepower to a 4000 useless animal
4. If you get a convertible its used to put the top down and show off, dont complain to us that its raining and I cant do it lol

e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #34
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
If you get a convertible you better not do this:

1. Complain about gas mileage, YOUR OVER 4000 POUNDS!
2. Complain about rain issues
3. Get a supercharger, why add horsepower to a 4000 useless animal
4. If you get a convertible its used to put the top down and show off, dont complain to us that its raining and I cant do it lol
You missed number 5

5. Don't tell us all the time how nice it is with the sun out and the top down hehehe

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0