BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
View Poll Results: Whats your Favorite Shift Knob
Active AutoWerke 4 2.02%
ZHP 84 42.42%
BMW Performance 35 17.68%
OEM (Stock) 75 37.88%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #45
flipmeraz
First Lieutenant
flipmeraz's Avatar
11
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 10 e92 m3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: bay area

iTrader: (2)

I went with the non-illuminated zhp knob ( never liked illuminated shift knobs) and just cut my stock shift boot. Big difference over the stock one
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #46
Andrew@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Andrew@IND's Avatar
126
Rep
2,562
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Big money, but one of the best quality knobs I have ever seen.









__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #47
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
Taiwan
85
Rep
3,121
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (4)

look kind of short.

maybe works better with your extension you sell
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S,997GT2, i3
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 02:01 AM   #48
kchu221
JDM whore
kchu221's Avatar
South Korea
48
Rep
3,056
Posts

Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: los angeles

iTrader: (9)

too bad the m3 shifters arent threaded... there are really good shift knobs out there like the tommy kaira hebi bebi and ARC titan shift knobs, but both needs a threaded shifter!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #49
Andrew@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Andrew@IND's Avatar
126
Rep
2,562
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
too bad the m3 shifters arent threaded... there are really good shift knobs out there like the tommy kaira hebi bebi and ARC titan shift knobs, but both needs a threaded shifter!
I wish BMW's had a threaded knob. Our extension piece is not threaded, but it is secured with a pin. The knob is threaded onto the extension

__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #50
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
34
Rep
2,153
Posts

Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Pretty much ignore any OEM votes. Clearly they have not tried anything else.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #51
kchu221
JDM whore
kchu221's Avatar
South Korea
48
Rep
3,056
Posts

Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: los angeles

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
I wish BMW's had a threaded knob. Our extension piece is not threaded, but it is secured with a pin. The knob is threaded onto the extension

i actually really like the entended knob, ever since i saw it on Martin D's m3, i fell in love with it... will it be comfortable for daily use also??
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #52
Andrew@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Andrew@IND's Avatar
126
Rep
2,562
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
i actually really like the entended knob, ever since i saw it on Martin D's m3, i fell in love with it... will it be comfortable for daily use also??
I don't foresee any issues with daily use. The one pictured is roughly 1 inch shorter than the full length extension. I daily drive the full length extension.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #53
kchu221
JDM whore
kchu221's Avatar
South Korea
48
Rep
3,056
Posts

Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: los angeles

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
I don't foresee any issues with daily use. The one pictured is roughly 1 inch shorter than the full length extension. I daily drive the full length extension.
ohh okay, yea the 1 inch shorter extension would probably be more practical for daily use! ill contact you soon for some parts!:0
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #54
Exclusivs
Major
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
37
Rep
1,338
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
I like the ZHP option.

Your interior = Perfection!

I plan to do the same, are your goods from Leather-z?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #55
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
OC ///M's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,820
Posts

Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusivSTS View Post
...are your goods from Leather-z?
Yes, they are. Here is another reference shot:
__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #56
ailikesiliu
Captain
ailikesiliu's Avatar
10
Rep
741
Posts

Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (8)

i got the zhp knob, but actually IMO the shift feeling of zhp knob on e92 is not improved as much as on e46.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #57
M3garage
Private
United_States
0
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
The people voting for OE knobs have no idea what they are missing and dont know any better.
The OE knob is hollow and flimsy and promotes a lack of connect between the driver and the drivetrain.

Whenever e9xm3 owners drive my e90m3 ...the 1st thing they are amazed at is the shifting = ZHP Knob + UUC SSK + UUC Selector Rod.

E9xm3 OE shift knob + OE Shift Assembly is worse then the OE e46m3 setup.
I totally agree. I have the same setup and it's a world of difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #58
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Small Yellow's Avatar
Taiwan
26
Rep
787
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3garage View Post
I totally agree. I have the same setup and it's a world of difference.
I wish someone had a similar set up I could try out here in OC... I dont know if I want to drop that much to mod it since I am pretty used to the OEM one now but I hate it. What I would like to feel before modding is, is it something I am comfortable with and if I can adapt to the "new" difference.
__________________
BMW ///M3 Coupe
Completed November 16, 2009
Received December 29,2009
BMW //M Coupe
November 4, 2013
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #59
M3garage
Private
United_States
0
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuangYiChao View Post
I wish someone had a similar set up I could try out here in OC... I dont know if I want to drop that much to mod it since I am pretty used to the OEM one now but I hate it. What I would like to feel before modding is, is it something I am comfortable with and if I can adapt to the "new" difference.
Yes you would def get used to it in minutes because i was thinking the same way before i did that mod but i just did it anyway. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and then i said to myself, "this car should have come like this from the factory". It feels great. Nice and solid because of the stainless steel parts and with the shorter throw its not just faster to shift, its more comfortable. No more reaching so far to the passenger side for 5th gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #60
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Small Yellow's Avatar
Taiwan
26
Rep
787
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3garage View Post
Yes you would def get used to it in minutes because i was thinking the same way before i did that mod but i just did it anyway. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and then i said to myself, "this car should have come like this from the factory". It feels great. Nice and solid because of the stainless steel parts and with the shorter throw its not just faster to shift, its more comfortable. No more reaching so far to the passenger side for 5th gear.
Do you ever experience the shifter not going in the gate sometimes but like stuck halfway with the oem shifter? If so did it go away after changing?
__________________
BMW ///M3 Coupe
Completed November 16, 2009
Received December 29,2009
BMW //M Coupe
November 4, 2013
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #61
M5Hambre
Soldier
0
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 SGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

I've installed aluminum pedals, UUC SSK and DSSR and have tried both ZHP and Performance shift knobs. Got a nice leather boot from LeatherZ. Initially I thought ZHP was better but have now settled with performance knob, as I think it's a little shorter and lighter and less bulky, making for quicker shifts. Almost feels close to S2000 kinda feel now with performance...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #62
Exclusivs
Major
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
37
Rep
1,338
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (18)

Just ordered my illuminated ZHP from Leather-Z!

Will be paired with Rouge SS!

Soon to report back with MY vote
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #63
dom_cmh
First Lieutenant
dom_cmh's Avatar
6
Rep
303
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusivSTS View Post
Just ordered my illuminated ZHP from Leather-Z!

Will be paired with Rouge SS!

Soon to report back with MY vote
You will love it...trust me! I bought my illuminated ZHP knob for $99 on ebay though. Leather Z was a bit pricy IMO.
__________________
2008 E90 M3| Sparkling Graphite | Fox Red | 6MT | PDC | Premium Package | Tech Package | Sat Radio |
Moonroof | 19" wheels | Tint | Illuminated ZHP Knob | Increased Clutch Stop | Black Chrome "Edition" Grills
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #64
M3garage
Private
United_States
0
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuangYiChao View Post
Do you ever experience the shifter not going in the gate sometimes but like stuck halfway with the oem shifter? If so did it go away after changing?
Yeh i used to get that every once in a while with the oem setup. Has not happened with this new setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #65
TTG
...
TTG's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,925
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Pretty much ignore any OEM votes. Clearly they have not tried anything else.
Disagree.....

I had the Short Shifter Knob (Same thing as ZHP) on my 335 and loved it....

IF BMW made a OEM one (illuminated) for the M3 I would of been all over it.... I am just not in the mood to modify / destroy the OEM knob that came with the car.....

This was one of my 1st mods on the 335

__________________
Retired: 2011 E92 M3 AW w/ Silver Novillo ZCP, ZTP, ZPP, 494, 6FL, 507, 302 & 415.....ED April 29th, 2010
Retired: 2007 E92 335i -Space Gray, Black Leatherette + Alum, Nav, ZCW, ZSP, PDC, CA & Sunshade.....ED Oct 19th, 2006
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #66
Endless619
DHS
Endless619's Avatar
Spain
56
Rep
3,930
Posts

Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
The Alcantara/Performance is the best one for this car. I have had all others and they look to old fashioned or cheap. OEM is the worst. Its like a tractor shifter. We drive a 6 speed not 18 speed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST