BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
FVM3
Major General

Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

how to deal with dealer

As i had another thread earlier that the sa distarcts me a lot, i went to another dealer today, and once i entered the dealer, i told them that i need an aw m3 coupe with idrive, leather seat, zcp cf roof. i will only pay $1000 over the invoice, not even a penny more. Then the SA keeps saying :let me work on the numbers, let me ask my manager. He went back and forth to the manager not less then 5 times. I entered the dealer 2pm and finally left at 5pm. Why is it so tough for them to just say yes or no? Why they like to keep wasting the time and try to tell me not to leave the dealer? Sorry im noob on dealing with dealer so please give me some advice.

Last edited by FVM3; 10-08-2011 at 03:42 AM.
      10-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Call them first before you head out.
dagolfpro is offline   Taiwan
      10-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
FVM3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Call them first before you head out.
Called them but they said must stop by and see whats the deal. I know some of you guys are good on dealing, they got some skills.
      10-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
AlterZgo
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 BMW 535i 6MT M-Sport

For my last 3 cars, I emailed all the dealers around my area the exact model, color, options I wanted along with the price I was willing to pay. I advised them I was ready to buy immediately if they had the car i was looking for and to email me an out the door quote with a breakdown of price, tax, registration and any other fees they had.

By doing it this way, I got many dealers who asked me to come in, but always had at least 2 or 3 who were willing to sell me the exact car I wanted at the price I wanted and emailed back the out the door breakdown. Once they confirmed, I just showed up, did the paperwork and drove off. No in person negotiations, no hassle, no hours and hours of waiting around.
      10-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
Darth One
Former yr 1of1 owner

Drives: SGM E90

Also, check out the pricing threads on this forum. People seem to be getting $500 over invoice with regularity so even $1000 over might be too high as an opening offer
Darth One is offline   United_States
      10-08-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
FVM3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Also, check out the pricing threads on this forum. People seem to be getting $500 over invoice with regularity so even $1000 over might be too high as an opening offer
I know but they told me that the M is limited cars and they not gonna do that
      10-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #7
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel

Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Why dont you buy it from Golffrr?

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Prince_of_Persia is offline   Canada
      10-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
esquire
Colonel

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
As i had another thread earlier that the sa distarcts me a lot, i went to another dealer today, and once i entered the dealer, i told them that i need an aw m3 coupe with idrive, leather seat, zcp cf roof. i will only pay $1000 over the invoice, not even a penny more. Then the SA keeps saying :let me work on the numbers, let me ask my manager. He went back and forth to the manager not less then 5 times. I entered the dealer 2pm and finally left at 5pm. Why is it so tough for them to just say yes or no? Why they like to keep wasting the time and try to tell me not to leave the dealer? Sorry im noob on dealing with dealer so please give me some advice.
1000 over invoice !?!? Way too high. You should be talking more like 300 over invoice. 500 absolute tops. I've had many dealers offer me 300-500 over invoice on an M3. The typical approach is for you to call a dealer (not visit) and say "hey i'm interested in an M3 with X,Y,Z options. I'm ready to buy right now. If you can knock out the deal for 300 over invoice. I can be there in an hour to finish up the paperwork. The downpayment cash is in my pocket as we speak." Make the deal easy for them, and they'll jump at it.

Calling late at night is a good move. Calling at the end of the month is also a good move. And calling at the end of the year is also a very good move. Combine those 3 and you'll see some seriously motivated dealers.

Happy hunting man.
- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
esquire is offline   United_States
      10-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
mjf6175
Private

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP; 09 Viper Coupe

The minute a salesman says "I have to talk with my manager" or starts running in and out of the floor manager's office, run for the door. Age old sales pressure tactic to wear you down and keep you there until you raise your offer. You have unfortunately given them the upper hand in showing that you really want this car and now want to "hook" you. All control of the deal is with somebody else (the floor manager) who you are not even negotiating with. The next question they will ask is "Well how much are you willing to pay?" Since you have now waisted alot of time sitting there you already know from their lack of response that your offer is not going anywhere, so now they hope you will increase it. Or they will ask in a different way "How much a month do you want to spend". These are the types of sales tactics that earn dealers and salesman their deserved reputation.

Once you set the limits and the dealership (manager or salesman) starts the "game" just get up, tell the slaesman to call you when he agrees to your numbers and LEAVE. If they are going to sell you the car at your price point then they will either stop you before you reach the door or call you within the next 24-48 hours. If neither happens then you would have never gotten the car at your price, no matter how long you stayed in the showroom with the salesman wearing his shoes off going back and forth.

For your own info, I paid $500 BELOW invoice for my E90 M3.
mjf6175 is offline   United_States
      10-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
BMWftw
Private

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 LMB

sorry but I am a big noob.

What do you guys mean by paying 500 above invoice? Is that $500 above MSRP? and I'm assuming you want the packages and all included with the 500?

Please explain =)
      10-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
ES_TRADER
Colonel

Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Why dont you buy it from Golffrr?
I second that. You're in La. Why don't you save the time and hassle and just give steve thomas a call ?

No hassling and beating around the bush with them. There's no bullshit games with them.
      10-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Edjay
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWftw View Post
sorry but I am a big noob.

What do you guys mean by paying 500 above invoice? Is that $500 above MSRP? and I'm assuming you want the packages and all included with the 500?

Please explain =)
Invoice is what the dealer pay for the car. Each car will have an invoice from the factory. When people say 500 over invoice, that means they paid 500 over what the car cost the dealer.
      10-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Golf Cart

OP 1000 over invoice is way to much to pay. if you don't want to deal with the run around just shoot Ryan an email and he will take care of you with absolutely no hassle.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Davids current ED Special M235/228--> http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013211
      10-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
M3crazy
Private

Drives: In transit: 2013 E92

Quote:
I've purchased 5 bmw's, two from one dealer three from another. I have pd invoice (not dealer cost, which would b invoice minus holdback) each and every time. U have to do ur homework, spell out what u want (options), know the cost, tell them what you'll pay and if they balk b prepared to walk.
M3crazy is offline   United_States
      10-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Quote:
Try this ... instead of waiting on them ... take a piece of paper and write down your final offer and phone number ... give it to the sales man and tell him, if you like to make a deal here is my offer and number call me by 6 pm one way or the other. If I don't hear from you then I'll take my business elsewhere tomorrow. Tip your hat tell him was nice meeting him then tell him so long and walk away ... works for me

No need to waste 3 hours of your life.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      10-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
FVM3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Well, I'm confused... how did you buy your current M3, and your SL550? You never dealt with a car dealer before?
My current m3 is used and my sl550 got a $10,000 rebate on it so i got pretty good deal. The only problem is dealers always claims the m3 is limited production cars so the ywont discount that much since all the bmw dealers dojnt carry a lot of them
      10-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
FVM3
Major General

Quote:
I'm still confused here... who bought all your other cars? In another thread you listed tons of high-end cars, yet you seem pretty frazzled by some very standard sales play. Something doesn't make sense here....
I always bought them used and used car dealers are willing to give me decent discount, some where like $3000-$5000 so thats much easier then dealing with bmw dealer snd get a new car. This m3 will be my first new car and the dealing strategy is totally different. Used car dealer is much more easier to deal with and they dont waste the time keep going back and forth becasue the sales can always tell you the lowest price rather then keep asking the manager
      10-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Quote:
I always bought them used and used car dealers are willing to give me decent discount, some where like $3000-$5000 so thats much easier then dealing with bmw dealer snd get a new car. This m3 will be my first new car and the dealing strategy is totally different. Used car dealer is much more easier to deal with and they dont waste the time keep going back and forth becasue the sales can always tell you the lowest price rather then keep asking the manager
My first one was a 2 year lease return from a Lady Doctor it was a 2002 e46 she never ever took the car to the track.

The one I drive now was also from a Lady, she had to return home (overseas due to a family tragedy).

I always purchase certified cars from a BMW dealership.

My next M3 (or similar) will be ED that has been decided I guess I'll have to pay the sticker price then

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      10-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
E92Mazing
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
Try calling dealers and telling them you are looking to pick up a car IMMEDIATELY. Ask them to match your best deal and it'll be a quick sale. I just picked up my 2011.75 m3 loaded this way and got it at around 2000 under invoice (factoring in loyalty). In my case, I actually did work out a deal with another dealer but they had trouble getting the car and I found out it was because the car was a demo with 2000 miles on it already AND 500 miles away. Ended up getting another car with exactly the same MSRP (75425) but with my 2nd preferred color combo (JB/Fox Red) with 6 miles on it and picked it up same day. Got it for even lower than the established deal on the Demo car and since this dealer was in NJ, I was able to put down MSDs to get the payment even lower. Good luck.
      10-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
bspears
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 M3E93

Quote:
This is why I ONLY use a broker. I have gotten my last three cars from him.
      10-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
eamon
Captain

Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
I'm still confused here... who bought all your other cars? In another thread you listed tons of high-end cars, yet you seem pretty frazzled by some very standard sales play. Something doesn't make sense here....
+1
Didn't you have an M3 which you sold for a e92/93 335i which you sold for a C63 that you repainted white and wrapped in alcantara and then I'm assuming you sold it again for another m3 and now you want to buy one more?
Something like that right?
      10-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
FVM3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
+1
Didn't you have an M3 which you sold for a e92/93 335i which you sold for a C63 that you repainted white and wrapped in alcantara and then I'm assuming you sold it again for another m3 and now you want to buy one more?
Something like that right?
Ye but the e92 m3 i own now is used,i wanna sell it and get an 2012 M3 new with zcp because i wanna keep it long, also mine doesnt have zcp