BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
GreasyGinzo
Captain
GreasyGinzo's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
636
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (1)

e92 Totaled...Thinking about e46 Comp Package

I am sure most of you saw my accident post "Another 1 Down!". The insurance adjuster was out to look at my car yesterday and totaled it which was the obvious outcome of this situation. So I am really thinking about getting an 05-06 e46 M Comp package. Does anybody think I am crazy for looking/buying an e46 M3? I know it is my decision blah blah but just looking to discuss and get some other peoples input. I have never owned an e46 but I have driven a few over the years. I had always liked the car a lot but the biggest thing holding me back was the dated technology in the e46's. However if I end up with an e46 M I will be buying a "beater" DD and the M will sit more than be driven.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
checkmate
Major
checkmate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,335
Posts

 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
I am sure most of you saw my accident post "Another 1 Down!". The insurance adjuster was out to look at my car yesterday and totaled it which was the obvious outcome of this situation. So I am really thinking about getting an 05-06 e46 M Comp package. Does anybody think I am crazy for looking/buying an e46 M3? I know it is my decision blah blah but just looking to discuss and get some other peoples input. I have never owned an e46 but I have driven a few over the years. I had always liked the car a lot but the biggest thing holding me back was the dated technology in the e46's. However if I end up with an e46 M I will be buying a "beater" DD and the M will sit more than be driven.
From someone who transitioned from the E46 to the E9X-here's my thought:

If you're ready to deal with the following issues-then go for it:
  • VANOS Hubs/Bolts (High probability to break)
  • Rear Subframe Failure
  • Peeling door panels
  • Cracking quarter window seals
  • Leaky rearview mirror
.....and many others. I'm not saying I experienced all of this but I did go through at least 3 of these problems. These are common problems experienced by E46 M3 owners. Preventative maintenance is ridiculous on that car simply because BMW or its vendors F'd up at the factory.

2001-2003 models were plagued by rod bearing failures (these were addressed by BMW during warranty/TSB recall)
2004-2006 models had a high frequency of VANOS related failures and rear subframe issues.

In terms of design-its timeless. The engine is epic (provided it doesn't blow up). Keep in mind the S54 engine will never sound as good as the S65. However compared to the any other 6 cylinder engines in its time-S54 is the one to have. Its an exercise in excellent 'engine'ering..where BMW screwed up was in the small details such as the nuts/bolts that keep the whole thing moving.

My suggestion is to stick with the E9X models partly because I'm biased but mostly because from all accounts thus far-its a better built model.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips


Last edited by checkmate; 10-20-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Nelrock
Lieutenant
Nelrock's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oklahoma

iTrader: (0)

Loved the E46 M. Would never say anything bad about it. I did part with it however, a few months after getting my E92 M. The E92 is such a fun beast...I just knew I wasn't ever going to give the E46 the time it deserved. So, it was just sitting in the garage. Some days I wish I'd of kept it, but if I was forced to make a choice, I'd still stick with the E92.
__________________

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
AMPowerJ's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
2,621
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

iTrader: (9)

Why would you go backwards? Trying to pocket some money?
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED Lights, Adaptive Suspension, 19's)
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Poofyo101
Major
Poofyo101's Avatar
24
Rep
1,228
Posts

 
Drives: e92 ///M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NC

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
e46 M3 is a timeless car. I owned two and never had any serious maintenance problems other than what is scheduled such as Inspection I II, bushings etc.
__________________
12 E92 M3-AW/FR-20" BBS LM-Painted Reflectors-BMW Gloss Black Grills + Gills-BMW Performance LED Wheel-BMW Carbon Performance Spoiler-Akra Evolution-Stoptech Trophy
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
GreasyGinzo
Captain
GreasyGinzo's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
636
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Why would you go backwards? Trying to pocket some money?

Yea partly because they are cheaper but I just really like the i6 and like has been said before the e46 M3 is a great looking car. I haven't made up my mind on anything yet. I am going to take my time and look at everything. It is nice to have a clean slate so to speak to work from. I don't have to worry about selling/trading in a car so it makes it a lot easier.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
AMPowerJ's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
2,621
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

iTrader: (9)

I think going back will make the E46 feel outdated and slower. I think you would regret that decision even with some cash in your pocket.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED Lights, Adaptive Suspension, 19's)
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
GreasyGinzo
Captain
GreasyGinzo's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
636
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Anybody who has maybe had both an e92 and e46 ZCP on the track comment on the handling? How does the e46 ZCP handle compared to an e92 with EDC and stock 18's with stock PS2's?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
xrayos's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England

iTrader: (2)

get an e90, similar stance to the e46
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
48Laws
Captain
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

I recently saw a lowered interlagos blue ZCP E46 on the road. I was jelly.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
checkmate
Major
checkmate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,335
Posts

 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayos View Post
get an e90, similar stance to the e46
I concur which is why I bought the E90.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
F82_SID
Brigadier General
F82_SID's Avatar
63
Rep
3,129
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
I think going back will make the E46 feel outdated and slower. I think you would regret that decision even with some cash in your pocket.
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
147
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
I think going back will make the E46 feel outdated and slower. I think you would regret that decision even with some cash in your pocket.
This ^^^ 100% agree, I had the e46 for 7 years it was a great car, however, I would not go back. If I would I would dearly regret it in short order.
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
if you do no doubt you will regret it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Am I the only one that would rather have a very low mileage mint E46 M3 comp over an E92 M3? The competition package back then actually had some tangible changes (unlike current one.. don't get me started). And they are still really great cars. The E92 M3 isn't that much of a better performer overall particularly when price is considered. The E46 M3 is still a more "pure" M car as far as pure goes. Inline engine design, orange gauges, heavy steering, simple suspension layout, etc.

Problem is, those mint cars are far and few between. If it isn't mint, well, see above posts for the host of problems and failures. However I certainly would not call the problems "high frequency" by any means. High frequency in forum fear mongering maybe. Remember, too, that if the recall was done, you're probably good to go. 2006 E46 M3 Competition is the one to have. Manual transmission, of course. And M-Cloth seats if you can too!

So yeah, overall the E9x is a better car. HOWEVER, if you are considering an E46 M3, particularly a mint, well taken care of 2006 Comp package, then I think you're making a good choice still. Make sure they did their oil changes at sane intervals though... not every 20,000. And make sure of course that the recall was done. And, as always, get a PPI by a certified mechanic.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
MDyDinanM's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
2,090
Posts

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
Anybody who has maybe had both an e92 and e46 ZCP on the track comment on the handling? How does the e46 ZCP handle compared to an e92 with EDC and stock 18's with stock PS2's?
e46 is more raw, and feels lighter

e92 is heavier, but the V8 makes up for its weight.
__________________
Retired: '06 BMW E46 ///M3
Current: '08 BMW E60 DINAN ///M5, Interlagos Blue, SMG
DINAN Stage 2 Suspension, Exhaust, Stage III Software, Front strut braces,
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
So yeah, overall the E9x is a better car. HOWEVER, if you are considering an E46 M3, particularly a mint, well taken care of 2006 Comp package, then I think you're making a good choice still. Make sure they did their oil changes at sane intervals though... not every 20,000. And make sure of course that the recall was done. And, as always, get a PPI by a certified mechanic.
+1. E46 is a great car, and I think it looks better than E9x.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
JDy80
Captain
JDy80's Avatar
China
28
Rep
778
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to JDy80
Oddly enough, there was a flyer by the bathroom at NJMP for someone selling their E46. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but it seemed pretty reasonable. Maybe the guy will see your post here and can contact you if you're really interested. Sorry about the accident on Monday again. Hope your doing better.
__________________


2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #19
checkmate
Major
checkmate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,335
Posts

 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Am I the only one that would rather have a very low mileage mint E46 M3 comp over an E92 M3? The competition package back then actually had some tangible changes (unlike current one.. don't get me started). And they are still really great cars. The E92 M3 isn't that much of a better performer overall particularly when price is considered. The E46 M3 is still a more "pure" M car as far as pure goes. Inline engine design, orange gauges, heavy steering, simple suspension layout, etc.

Problem is, those mint cars are far and few between. If it isn't mint, well, see above posts for the host of problems and failures. However I certainly would not call the problems "high frequency" by any means. High frequency in forum fear mongering maybe. Remember, too, that if the recall was done, you're probably good to go. 2006 E46 M3 Competition is the one to have. Manual transmission, of course. And M-Cloth seats if you can too!

So yeah, overall the E9x is a better car. HOWEVER, if you are considering an E46 M3, particularly a mint, well taken care of 2006 Comp package, then I think you're making a good choice still. Make sure they did their oil changes at sane intervals though... not every 20,000. And make sure of course that the recall was done. And, as always, get a PPI by a certified mechanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
+1. E46 is a great car, and I think it looks better than E9x.
Yes-aesthetically the E46 M3 is a classic. However if you want something that delivers the 'rawness' of an ///M then get the Z4M Coupe. It has the S54 engine (same as the E46) but an even better steering and power to weight ratio over the M3 . The E46 M3 is more of a practical proposition however and I think that's what you are leaning towards. The E9X is a much car in that it has better quality materials inside than the E46 and yes-is more refined. The current M3 has a stiffer suspension and a better turn in compared to my old E46. Its better as a daily driver as well and sounds much better.

However the E46 M3 was only slightly better than the E36 M3 in terms of hp-321(Eurospec E36) vs 343 (Eurospec E46). The current M3 makes 420hp (Eurospec) which is a much bigger HP leap.

If I had some disposable $$$ left around-I'd get the E36 and throw a GTR body kit and upgrade it mechanically. The steering feel on that car is super!
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
GreasyGinzo
Captain
GreasyGinzo's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
636
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
Oddly enough, there was a flyer by the bathroom at NJMP for someone selling their E46. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but it seemed pretty reasonable. Maybe the guy will see your post here and can contact you if you're really interested. Sorry about the accident on Monday again. Hope your doing better.
Thanks, I am starting to feel a little better today finally but still very sore as expected. Do you remember if it was a comp pack? If I was to get an e46 it would have to be comp pack with fairly low miles and very good condition. I was looking for one before I got my e92 so I know how hard it is to find what I would want.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
e46e92love
Brigadier General
e46e92love's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
3,059
Posts

 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Wow, e46 comp is just a FANTASTIC car. To get an '06 comp ///M3 and a cheap daily driver like a civic will leave you still with cash in your pocket, lower gas bills, and a GREAT weekend car that is still a great time at the track.

But that is just my .02.......and this coming from an e92 '11 ///M3!!!



Cheers,
e46e92
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #22
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Yes-aesthetically the E46 M3 is a classic. However if you want something that delivers the 'rawness' of an ///M then get the Z4M Coupe. It has the S54 engine (same as the E46) but an even better steering and power to weight ratio over the M3 .
+1 on the Z4 M Coupe. Brilliant car from BMW. Also their last sports car.

Ps: If you're into modding your cars, you won't find too much stuff for the Z4 M. There isn't a large enough market...
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST