BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #45
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
JulieDriving's Avatar
30
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Some people have a tendency to belittle others choices in order to feel more comfortable about their own. Don't worry about it. Just enjoy your car.
+ 1. Same thing on the 3-series (non-M forum). I originally wanted a non-iDrive car and boy, it was like 98% vs. 2% who thought that would be a shitty decision. People sure had strong opinions about the importance of a "loaded BMW".

In the end, I couldn't order my car. I think my iDrive is great but if I decide to order a new E92 M3, I'm passing on the double hump.
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #46
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
93
Rep
4,614
Posts

 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

iTrader: (13)

Order it how you want mate, its always going to be somewhat of a comprimise.

My car is a relative "stripper". My options are powered speed cloth seats, cold weather pack, and 19s.

Positives of this

-lighter car (maybe in my head, but I can tell difference from fully loaded (nav/sunroof/extended leather/edc) m3 that i test drove before buying mine
-less complicated to operate
-much cheaper purchase price, so overall better value since I find the options to be the least important part of the m3

Negatives

-not as much tech, so nav isnt there if you would ever want/need it
-sunroof is nice at times (which i dont have)
-extended leather is pretty nice

Overall, I made the right choice for me. I saved over 8k from the next closest AW e90 in the country, and my car had less miles. To me, it was worth it.

I love my car as is, if you love your car, then you made the right choice!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #47
JB_Vert
Private
United_States
2
Rep
58
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
...The only reasons i got idrive just because it makes the dash look better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
Amen to that!!! I barely touch the I-Drive at all and the navigation although usable is a far cry from a $100 Garmin.

But it definitely makes the dash look nicer.

Going to have to dissent on the look of the second hump. To my tastes, it doesn't belong.

I've got the premium package and heated seats--no DCT, no EDC, no i-Drive, no "M" button, no ZCP, not even the premium sound. I do like the leather, trim and little gadgets (auto-dimming mirrors) that come in the PP, but I simply refused to pay for the second hump. I passed on two other cars because of the hump, as the dealers were not willing to pay me enough to take them.

In the end, I benefitted from my relatively utilitarian tastes because seemingly no one wanted the poor single-humped mutant in a remote corner of the lot.

It only took a couple of years with a therapist to get over the lack of an "M" button. But, I don't like to talk about it. We're still working on the "E93 is not a real M3" thing. Some days (sunny ones) are better than others, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel--particularly with the top down. The occasional nightmare where I show up back in high school without ZCP is also starting to subside.

My name is Stewart Smalley, I don't have a fixed carbon fiber roof, second hump, or ZCP, but, doggone it, people like me.

JB
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #48
GeoXP
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Space Grey - ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Buy the car you want, forget the BS comments. You still have an M3. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #49
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
///M Ryder's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
2,560
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sugar Land

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Dude chill. Wait 6 years when all the Edc cars break, the Dct is old crap and doesn't work, and the navi is worthless. I have a 40 dollar nav app on my iPhone that is unreal. Ask most of the old m3 guys (like me) options mean nothing when the cars are out of warranty. My m isn't a stripper but it's not loaded. I ordered it exactly as I wanted. Everyone will want a manual. Just like the e46. Smg was the latest and greatest now it's slop and unreliable.
OP this is type of stuff you'll most likely see and read. People bashing certain features and options to justify their purchase. If you choice to not have features or options that's your call.....we are not licking that stamp every month to make your payment. Cars are as individual as the socks we choose to put on every morning. Get what you want and stop worrying or concerning yourself with what others think. High self esteem is the cure for all of this nonsense ..............Phil
__________________
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #50
48Laws
Captain
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Typically when a car is referred to as a base model, that's referencing the least powerful engine offered, no? I never knew options for accessories determines a base model or not. There is no base M3. There's just M3s with minimal options.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #51
rye m3
Lieutenant
rye m3's Avatar
Switzerland
10
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Hey, just enjoy it! I suppose it is worthy to say there may be issues with the options, a "stripper"is a tough sell in the used market. Used buyers will inevitably want nav or something else. Especially if you got the car without leather. Not to mention the usual conclusion is it was done to save weight to use as a track car. Who wants to buy a used M3 without a warranty that was a regular track car?
__________________
E92 M3 MR on Red/Black ZCP Sound
Carbon

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #52
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Typically when a car is referred to as a base model, that's referencing the least powerful engine offered, no? I never knew options for accessories determines a base model or not. There is no base M3. There's just M3s with minimal options.
An M3 has a base price just like any other car, right? So, what that price buys you is a "base M3". You can call it whatever you want, but that's what it is.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #53
Ricfutures
Lieutenant
Ricfutures's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: EB M235i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Same engine as all other E9x. That's all that matters in the end. Options are nice but at the end of the day, what is going to put the smile on your face? The sweet sound of that V8 at 8400rpm.
__________________
EB M235i ()
E92 M3 ()
350z (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #54
48Laws
Captain
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
An M3 has a base price just like any other car, right? So, what that price buys you is a "base M3". You can call it whatever you want, but that's what it is.
What I stated makes more sense than what you stated. You're simply purchasing options. Some useful. Some trivial. Base price and base model aren't the same although I'm certain you'll continue to argue so.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #55
48Laws
Captain
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

If you want to get technical, our cars are 3-Series. A base 3-Series would be the 328. The M Division enhances the performance of our 3-Series, creating an M3. Again, this argument Is semantically annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #56
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
What I stated makes more sense than what you stated.
Nonsense. Insisting that "There is no base M3" as you have done is absurd. You are splitting hairs for no apparent reason. There's no need to reinvent the language here, and doing so certainly is not helping out anyone nor solving any problem. It is simply creating confusion, and beckoning for a debate when there is no need for one.

Quote:
Base price and base model aren't the same although I'm certain you'll continue to argue so.
I won't and didn't in the first price, since they are not the same. The base price is a monetary value. That price is associate with (but not the same thing as) the base car. It is exactly analogous to the fully-loaded price being associated with the full-loaded car.

Furthermore, I didn't even use the words "base model". You did.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #57
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
If you want to get technical, our cars are 3-Series. ... The M Division enhances the performance of our 3-Series, creating an M3.
Way off base. The M3 is based upon the E9x chassis, but is a distinct product from the 3 series.

Quote:
A base 3-Series would be the 328.
True (in the US market) but irrelevant. The 3 series has different trim levels, whereas the M3 does not. It is just as valid to call a no-option 328i a base 328i as it is to call a 328i a base 3 series.

Quote:
Again, this argument Is semantically annoying.
Then why did you start it by making inane claims?
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #58
48Laws
Captain
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

@ Mkoesel

I used the term because it's of topic in this thread, genius. Your entire argument is ego-driven and only serves as more ways to cause derision in the community and to make those who wasted thousands of dollars on a navigation that's not even superior to my $180 Garmin, btw, feel a bit more at ease with such wastefulness.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #59
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
@ Mkoesel

I used the term because it's of topic in this thread, genius.
And it is the topic of the thread because it is the proper term to describe the car the OP is asking about. If it wasn't then everybody would have corrected the OP, or not understood what he was talking about. Look through the thread - no one else has a problem with the terminology but you.

Quote:
Your entire argument is ego-driven...
Your insistance on attempting to redefine the language itself is the definition of ego.

Quote:
..and only serves as more ways to cause derision in the community and to make those who wasted thousands of dollars on a navigation that's not even superior to my $180 Garmin, btw, feel a bit more at ease with such wastefulness.
What the hell is your problem? Someone's insecurity is sticking out like a sore thumb. Get a grip.

Oh and by the way, I happen to own a very low option car myself. It has DCT, ZPP, ZCW, trim, assist, and 6FL. No ZTP, no EDC, no IDrive, no CA. And if someone considers that a base M3, that's absolutely fine with me.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #60
48Laws
Captain
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Lol. I'm a participant in this thread, not the OP, so how am I insecure? You seem to be fighting tooth-and-nail to protect this trivial definition. Base model? At this price point, that's funny. Listen, the 0-60 time doesn't suffer because one doesn't have parking sensors on the bumper. lol

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #61
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Lol. I'm a participant in this thread, not the OP, so how am I insecure?
Ok so being insecure has nothing to do with who makes the first post. There's that little fact for you. And then you keep embarassing yourself with stuff like this...

Quote:
Listen, the 0-60 time doesn't suffer because one doesn't have parking sensors on the bumper. lol
...even after I've made it abundantly clear that I don't have PDC, I certainly don't have a loaded M3, nor do I care one bit how somebody chooses to options their car. You're so caught up in yourself that not only are you are arguing for the sake of arguing, but you are arguing a point which was never even up for debate between us.

Quote:
You seem to be fighting tooth-and-nail to protect this trivial definition. Base model? At this price point, that's funny.
And you seem to be incapable of admiting you are wrong. "There is no base M3" - lol. By definition there is, even though this fact has gotten you all butt hurt.

Quote:
Enjoy!
And you be sure to keep on enjoying being a pain in the ass for no reason!

But don't let your insecurity keep you from enjoying your base M3. It's still an M3, get over it and move on.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #62
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

As I alluded to in a previous comment the OPs original usage of the term 'base' was in the context of 911S vs. 911-base which is a common distinction in Porsche circles and refers to models with different engine displacements and related systems, accessories, performance. In this context, there is no such thing as a M3 'base'.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #63
48Laws
Captain
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Thank you. There is, however, a standard M3, which comes equipped standard with arguably the best option, the carbon fiber roof. So, to "un-base" one's car, would they have to get the metal roof? Hmmm. I don't see how the most sought after and possibly most expensive material in auto manufacturing today would generally be on a "base" model. That's why I have issue with the current splitting of hairs coming out of that genius' mouth. Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #64
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Well great. Someone better notify edmunds, then.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m3/2012/

And here's a base Ferrari 458.

http://www.edmunds.com/ferrari/458-italia/2010/

Thanks for playing though.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #65
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588462
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504753
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552358
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586841

Some more threads for the "no base" police to crack down on. Now get out there and clean up this forum.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #66
48Laws
Captain
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Haha. Your ego has you so upset, you resort to spending all afternoon to locate Edmunds, of all automotive journalism sources lol, to simply find the term, base. You do excellent work. I wonder why your little fingers avoided BMW USA where "base" only refers to the MSRP and not the model? Everything else references, standard. Perhaps that destination would make you look even more obtuse?

I like how you failed to address the fundamental error I noted above about "base".

You lack context like a child misusing a term.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST