BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
ajvee
Major

Drives: None

Short Winter Trips - Should I get a beater?

Guys,

My living situation is such that I drive about 2 or 3 times a week through stop go traffic for 2 miles to get to work. I notice with the M3, it barely warms up by the time I get to my parking spot, and this will only get worse at it gets colder. I did drive my M3 through the last winter but I had a more frequent and long commute.

It will be this way for 2 years and I plan to keep my car for a long time (love the thing). Do you recommend I get a beater and store the thing through the next couple of winters?

I appreciate your help with my decision.

Cheers.
      10-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Titanium Silver
Four Star General

Drives: E92 M3

I am trying to make the exact same decision!

I am debating whether to buy some Blizzaks and drive the M in the winter, OR buy an old CJ Jeep or International Scout or something.

I only commute a few miles from my house, so the M will probably be okay in the winter, but I sort of want a Jeep anyways. Plus the mag chloride, salt, and sand they put on the roads out here destroys the exterior.

What are you considering for your "beater"?

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
      10-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
ajvee
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post
I am trying to make the exact same decision!

I am debating whether to buy some Blizzaks and drive the M in the winter, OR buy an old CJ Jeep or International Scout or something.

I only commute a few miles from my house, so the M will probably be okay in the winter, but I sort of want a Jeep anyways. Plus the mag chloride, salt, and sand they put on the roads out here destroys the exterior.

What are you considering for your "beater"?
I am looking at a sweet 97 6 cylinder cherokee. I just came from the test drive and loved it. 5 speed too.

I am worried about the condensation due to the short trips and its detrimental effects on the engine.
      10-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
spmd11
Captain

Drives: 2014 M235i AW

Mini Cooper S, you all. It's fantastic run-a-bout car and a blast to drive, inexpensive to purchase used, maintain and sips the gas. We have one in our stable. Love it! Does the "dirty" work for the family. It's a go cart and mini SUV in one! (fold seats and hatch) Plus seats four!

2014 M235i, 2008 JB e90 M3, 2011 X5 5.0, 2011 335i Sport
spmd11 is offline   United_States
      10-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
MR///M3
e90post veteran

Drives: '12 M3, '09 335, '11 Mini R56

+1 on the cooper S... I picked one up last december and it is a blast and a very fun second car. On top of that it is pretty decent in the snow with appropriate tires.
MR///M3 is offline   United_States
      10-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
ajvee
Major

Appreciate the inputs.

Can anyone confirm the detrimental effects of short winter trips?
      10-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
ajvee
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
It's not really great for the engine, but also not something to worry about too much. You should change your oil more frequently if you do a lot of short trips in the cold. Just drive the long way to work.
This is great insight. I guess I could have bigger problems to worry about I already change my oil either 7500 miles or every 6 months.
      10-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
luis_m3
Low Pro...

Drives: 2011 E90 AW

I am very surprised on the responses so far; most ppl in this forum will tell you hell no, just drive your M3; "it's not meant to be parked" or other stuff like that.
Personally, I do have a beater for the winter, an Acura RSX. I also plan on keeping my M3 for a while so I don't really need to beat it all year round. After putting 10k miles in 4 months, it needs a break!
luis_m3 is offline   United_States
      10-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
apecush
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I'd personally not drive it on the short trips unless you planned on driving it for longer distances every couple of days. As mentioned, by not boiling off the water vapor from the oil, you are significantly shortening the life of the oil.

I'm driving mine in the winter, just not to work. I'll let the train take care of that.
      10-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
1sikbmr
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
It's not really great for the engine, but also not something to worry about too much. You should change your oil more frequently if you do a lot of short trips in the cold. Just drive the long way to work.
+1

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red
ESS VT1-550|Gloss black grilles/Gold gills|V1 hardwire|Filled reflectors|ZHP lighted shift knob|Volk TE37 Gloss Black|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 full blackout kit|Agency Power exhaust|Sosi x-pipe|BMW Performance Steering Wheel V1|