BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
YianniM3
Lieutenant
 
YianniM3's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mass

Posts: 464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335i  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to YianniM3 Send a message via Yahoo to YianniM3
chase sapphire or amex platinum credit card??

Im debating between these two cards they both have great rewards i dont really want to use it for travel more just a daily card. i know the platinum card is 450 annually and the chase card is 95 i think. does anyone have either of them give me your advice i kinda also like the fact that they are kind of status cards.

leave me your advice and any info you guys know about the cards

Thanks,
John
__________________
Current:F80 M3 SB/SO Full leather, Black Wheels, Executive Package, Adaptive Suspension, Manual
Sold: LeMans Blue 335i e92
Sold: JB 325xi e90
YianniM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Amex if you travel a lot, chase otherwise.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
johanness
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 Z4MC
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Vancouver

Posts: 1,741
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I like the Amex Plat. It has some nice perks, however if u think you're getting a free Business class ticket (as per agreement)... be prepared to book at THEIR rates. It's a wash pretty much. Some of their travel deals at upscale places/hotels are great however. I also think don't think the Chase card is 3/1 points
johanness is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Schm
Colonel
 
Schm's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri

Posts: 2,659
iTrader: (3)

Have AMEX gold, it's great, very useful for international. You might want to look at that, I'm not sure if most people really use the perks associated with the platinum

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacid...ss_cards.shtml
__________________
2006 E90 330i.
Schm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
YianniM3
Lieutenant
 
YianniM3's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mass

Posts: 464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335i  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to YianniM3 Send a message via Yahoo to YianniM3
No one has the chase sapphire?
__________________
Current:F80 M3 SB/SO Full leather, Black Wheels, Executive Package, Adaptive Suspension, Manual
Sold: LeMans Blue 335i e92
Sold: JB 325xi e90
YianniM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post
Have AMEX gold, it's great, very useful for international. You might want to look at that, I'm not sure if most people really use the perks associated with the platinum

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacid...ss_cards.shtml
I'm sorry, but Amex is pretty useless overseas. It can get you there, but it can't get you much while you're there. Their travel services are good, but acceptance sucks pretty much universally.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

I wouldn't recommend AMEX.

My AMEX isn't accepted in a lot of places especially small businesses. It is just a hassle to always have to ask.. do you guys accept AMEX?

Did you look into Chase Freedom? Got a very good reward system and no annual fee. Even have a $250 sign up bonus.
Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #8
YianniM3
Lieutenant
 
YianniM3's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mass

Posts: 464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335i  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to YianniM3 Send a message via Yahoo to YianniM3
not going to lie i kind of want the whole prestige affect lol
__________________
Current:F80 M3 SB/SO Full leather, Black Wheels, Executive Package, Adaptive Suspension, Manual
Sold: LeMans Blue 335i e92
Sold: JB 325xi e90
YianniM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixta325 View Post
not going to lie i kind of want the whole prestige affect lol
then pay for an amex platinum. $450 a year for shit i get for free. your amex 'limit' doesn't mean shit in the end. i don't know why people think amex is so prestigious. i have 2 of them and they don't give me any other/better benefits than my AA citi cards. yes, some amex benefits are good, but they're all creature comforts. i'd rather have the miles.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #10
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
 
1sikbmr's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

Posts: 3,279
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Amex if you travel a lot, chase otherwise.
+1
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red #TEAMMODE
ESS VT1-550|Volk TE37|Recaro|STOPTECH|Ohlins R/T|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 |Agency Power/Sosi/ACM Test Pipes|BMW PSW V1|
1sikbmr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #11
Feyd
Major
 
Feyd's Avatar
 
Drives: a DEEZZULL
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,241
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixta325 View Post
not going to lie i kind of want the whole prestige affect lol
I honestly don't think that any prestige exists until you get to the Amex Centurian level and then it's really only a novelty. That being said you can't get one of those until you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars annually (for several years running) on your Amex platinum card, have an annual income north of 500k and a decent 7 figure net worth. If that kind of annual spend isn't in your future then quit while you are ahead and save the annual fee. Amex cards really only make sense to own if your business pays the fees (and bills) and you can reap the rewards, otherwise they are just kind of a pain in the ass.

Besides, anyone with a mediocre credit score and a telephone can get a platinum card if they are willing to pay an annual fee, so "prestige" isn't a term I'd associate with ownership. To me if you are an average Joe with no real reason to own the platinum card (i.e. flying 50k+ miles a year/own a business), it just seems like you are trying to hard.
Feyd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
 
Gregxi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the crapper

Posts: 336
iTrader: (0)

As others have said the prestige comes with the Centurion card,Amex revamped the percs a few months back but once again if you are not traveling it's not worth it.
If you are expecting people to see your card and shower you with gifts forget about it, the kid who is taking it doesn't know the difference between an Amex and a library card.
I am thinking of calling and changing my card to a gold and saving the 375 dollar difference, I am aware I will no longer receive Departures magazine, all that magazine does id depress me anyway
Gregxi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I'm sorry, but Amex is pretty useless overseas. It can get you there, but it can't get you much while you're there. Their travel services are good, but acceptance sucks pretty much universally.
Never been a problem for me in my 2 million miles of travel.
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixta325 View Post
not going to lie i kind of want the whole prestige affect lol
I hold a AMEX plat and there's no prestige.
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I honestly don't think that any prestige exists until you get to the Amex Centurian level and then it's really only a novelty. That being said you can't get one of those until you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars annually (for several years running) on your Amex platinum card, have an annual income north of 500k and a decent 7 figure net worth. If that kind of annual spend isn't in your future then quit while you are ahead and save the annual fee. Amex cards really only make sense to own if your business pays the fees (and bills) and you can reap the rewards, otherwise they are just kind of a pain in the ass.

Besides, anyone with a mediocre credit score and a telephone can get a platinum card if they are willing to pay an annual fee, so "prestige" isn't a term I'd associate with ownership. To me if you are an average Joe with no real reason to own the platinum card (i.e. flying 50k+ miles a year/own a business), it just seems like you are trying to hard.

This isn't really true.. I gave mine up when they raised the fees and didn't grandfather original members in. All of the propaganda that get's published about the black card mostly is imagination gone wild.

Your second statement about the phone call to get the plat is mostly true, the plat comes with services and if the services are valuable to you the $450/yr is dirt cheap for what you get. $200 airline fee credits, airline club access to several clubs, concierge service (the remind me about mothers day and my mom's bday every year), if those make sense for you then get the plat if they don't then get the green card.
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post
As others have said the prestige comes with the Centurion card,Amex revamped the percs a few months back but once again if you are not traveling it's not worth it.
If you are expecting people to see your card and shower you with gifts forget about it, the kid who is taking it doesn't know the difference between an Amex and a library card.
I am thinking of calling and changing my card to a gold and saving the 375 dollar difference, I am aware I will no longer receive Departures magazine, all that magazine does id depress me anyway
For me it's the airline clubs that make it valuable. If your going to be an admirals club member anyway better to buy the plat and have access to more lounges.
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
YianniM3
Lieutenant
 
YianniM3's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mass

Posts: 464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335i  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to YianniM3 Send a message via Yahoo to YianniM3
im leaning towards the chase sapphire card it basicly has all the same point bonuses as the amex and its much cheaper does anyone have anything to say about the sapphire?
__________________
Current:F80 M3 SB/SO Full leather, Black Wheels, Executive Package, Adaptive Suspension, Manual
Sold: LeMans Blue 335i e92
Sold: JB 325xi e90
YianniM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Never been a problem for me in my 2 million miles of travel.
Ever try to pay for a meal at a Sichuan restaurant in Shanghai with Amex? Or a café in Paris? Pretty much the only places overseas that accept Amex are large department stores and major brand hotels. But for everyday things that I most commonly need a card for, Amex is pretty useless overseas.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
 
Gregxi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the crapper

Posts: 336
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
For me it's the airline clubs that make it valuable. If your going to be an admirals club member anyway better to buy the plat and have access to more lounges.
I don't travel at all compared to what I did a few years ago, back then the platinum card didn't get you access like it does now
Gregxi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F10 535xi / JK Wrangler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LI, NY

Posts: 1,758
iTrader: (7)

I don't think paying a $450 annual fee is worth it for any credit card, that's just insanity.

That being said, I have the AMEX Gold Premier Rewards card ($175/yr) which I am perfectly happy with.
ZJP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
 
M3Bahn's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Ever try to pay for a meal at a Sichuan restaurant in Shanghai with Amex? Or a café in Paris? Pretty much the only places overseas that accept Amex are large department stores and major brand hotels. But for everyday things that I most commonly need a card for, Amex is pretty useless overseas.
I used mine everywhere in shanghai and had no problems, I prefer to use cash though for smaller purchases like restaurants since I think that is where you have a higher chance of having your card number skimmed.
__________________
The journey is the reward.
M3Bahn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
 
M3Bahn's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
For me it's the airline clubs that make it valuable. If your going to be an admirals club member anyway better to buy the plat and have access to more lounges.


That is the only reason I would get it.
__________________
The journey is the reward.
M3Bahn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST