BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

IS-F LF-A Smaller turbo charged engines planned. Supra Successor coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR
Lexus will launch an LFA Tokyo Motor Show Edition at this autumn's 2011 Japanese show, CAR has discovered - and we can expect a brace of additional new Toyota/Lexus performance cars in the coming years, including a likely Supra replacement.

The Lexus LFA Tokyo edition will bring an M3-esque exposed carbon roof and (still hydraulically adjustable) carbon rear spoiler. Presumably this just means the weave is exposed, as the LFA is already made from carbonfibre.

CAR understands the LFA Tokyo will cost about 40k more than a 'regular' Lexus LFA.

What else is planned for the Lexus LFA?

A spider roadster was planned and its carbonfibre construction meant the open-top LFA was nearly as rigid as the coupe. But our sources in Japan have confirmed the roadster LFA has been canned owing to the economic uncertainty in markets around the world.

And what's this about new performance cars from Toyota/Lexus?

Toyota is working on two other performance cars separate from the FT-86 and LFA projects.

Information is sketchy at this point, but CAR understands one is a front-wheel drive car (possibly a go-faster CT200h) and one is a potential successor to the Supra.

Officially, a Supra replacement is denied. But we hear a skunkworks, unofficial project is underway to replace the RWD coupe and some insiders predict a 2014 launch.

It also sounds like future fast Toyota/Lexus models will switch from high-revving naturally aspirated engines - as in the LFA, ISF and FT-86 - to smaller, turbocharged engines. Interesting times at Toyota, as it attempts to play catch-up after a decade away from the performance heartland.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...upra-underway/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,350
iTrader: (0)

That's true they are playing catch up. However, apart from the design, the IS-F is actually not that bad a performer. I think the updated model has better suspension and a LSD too.

I think if they want to expand their market they need to get some new designers in. They should also have a manual gearbox. It'll be an interested move to FI engines because they have a long history of big V8s.
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
That's true they are playing catch up. However, apart from the design, the IS-F is actually not that bad a performer. I think the updated model has better suspension and a LSD too.

I think if they want to expand their market they need to get some new designers in. They should also have a manual gearbox. It'll be an interested move to FI engines because they have a long history of big V8s.
I like the LFA a lot too it was just the $$$ that kills me... Why so much??
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,170
iTrader: (6)

I just want to see that FT-86 first, preferably in a turbo variant.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
 
esqu1re's Avatar
 
Drives: M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Coast

Posts: 1,857
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I just want to see that FT-86 first, preferably in a turbo variant.
Or a Supra!
__________________


///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
esqu1re is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

Bring back the GT-R's competitor, the Supra.

What the hell? Stop dicking around.

Also, get rid of the LFA. Too expensive. Ugly. Bad marketing/business move IMO.


If Lexus wants to spark some life into their brand, bring back the SC redesigned and more edgy. A la 'Mercedes Benz SL' or 'BMW 6 Series'. (Wide, low profile, sporty, executive flair).

I understand they did away with the model because it didn't sell well but hell, if it looks the part, people will pay. Price it competitively with a sporty, yet mature design, and they will find themselves right back in the game.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,350
iTrader: (0)

True. Good points. LF-A is a good attempt at a first supercar but they should focus on core models first. Like getting the IS-F right and maybe a nice SC replacement (old one was horrible lol) OH YEAH and Supra!
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
Bring back the GT-R's competitor, the Supra.

What the hell? Stop dicking around.

Also, get rid of the LFA. Too expensive. Ugly. Bad marketing/business move IMO.


If Lexus wants to spark some life into their brand, bring back the SC redesigned and more edgy. A la 'Mercedes Benz SL' or 'BMW 6 Series'. (Wide, low profile, sporty, executive flair).

I understand they did away with the model because it didn't sell well but hell, if it looks the part, people will pay. Price it competitively with a sporty, yet mature design, and they will find themselves right back in the game.
Get rid of the LFA? Arguably one of the best sports cars in the world at the moment that holds records at the Nurgburgring for production vehicles? It was created to showcase Lexus / Toyota's ability and it did so very well. I think you need to reevaluate that comment. And when you say business move, I don't seem to recall them having a problem selling them even with that high of a price.

What they are doing is fine... They need to update the Is-F when they get a chance so that it will be a good competitor for the new M3 but they have a few years to do that.

Number one priority right now should be the recreation of the Supra. Something that can compete with the GTR - but then again that is not realistic, no car the price of a Supra could ever compete with the GTR. If they recreate the Supra it will be a 50-60K or so car that can probably compete with the likes of M3's, Audi S4's and maybe C63's. There current model lineup will not allow a Supra to be better than the LFA and that's what it needs to be, to be better than a GTR.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Get rid of the LFA? Arguably one of the best sports cars in the world at the moment that holds records at the Nurgburgring for production vehicles? It was created to showcase Lexus / Toyota's ability and it did so very well. I think you need to reevaluate that comment. And when you say business move, I don't seem to recall them having a problem selling them even with that high of a price.

What they are doing is fine... They need to update the Is-F when they get a chance so that it will be a good competitor for the new M3 but they have a few years to do that.

Number one priority right now should be the recreation of the Supra. Something that can compete with the GTR - but then again that is not realistic, no car the price of a Supra could ever compete with the GTR. If they recreate the Supra it will be a 50-60K or so car that can probably compete with the likes of M3's, Audi S4's and maybe C63's. There current model lineup will not allow a Supra to be better than the LFA and that's what it needs to be, to be better than a GTR.
I understand the purpose of it was to showcase Toyota's racing heritage meshed with top-of-the line luxury from the Lexus division. The car isn't a complete waste, and I understand they sell well, mainly because of the market that its targeting and as well as performance capabilities. People buying $400+ cars tend to buy them as novelties in addition to their many other vehicles. I get that, from a business perspective.

I'm just not a fan of it overall. The performance is mind blowing (supercar status), a true testament of Toyota's pedigree on the track. The design seems a bit off. Doesn't look like a $400k car, more like $200k+. Ah well, different opinions.

I just wish the Supra would come back. It doesn't need to be faster than the GTR, just close enough. They could do it.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
b0bab0i
Captain
 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
That's true they are playing catch up. However, apart from the design, the IS-F is actually not that bad a performer. I think the updated model has better suspension and a LSD too.

I think if they want to expand their market they need to get some new designers in. They should also have a manual gearbox. It'll be an interested move to FI engines because they have a long history of big V8s.
Toyota's also have a long history of Forced induction cars.

Mr2 Turbo, Turbo Supras, Celica GT-Four, Aristos(GS300).
TRD superchargers for Tacoma, Celicas, Tundras, etc.
b0bab0i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
I understand the purpose of it was to showcase Toyota's racing heritage meshed with top-of-the line luxury from the Lexus division. The car isn't a complete waste, and I understand they sell well, mainly because of the market that its targeting and as well as performance capabilities. People buying $400+ cars tend to buy them as novelties in addition to their many other vehicles. I get that, from a business perspective.

I'm just not a fan of it overall. The performance is mind blowing (supercar status), a true testament of Toyota's pedigree on the track. The design seems a bit off. Doesn't look like a $400k car, more like $200k+. Ah well, different opinions.

I just wish the Supra would come back. It doesn't need to be faster than the GTR, just close enough. They could do it.
Toyota would create itself a lineup problem right there... a $60K car that is performance wise close to the LFA (a $400K) halo car? Then what would happen to the ISF as a performance car?
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
 
OBI_agent's Avatar
 
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 2,094
iTrader: (0)

Thoughts on these renderings


__________________
11 corvette C6
OBI_agent is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Do want.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Toyota would create itself a lineup problem right there... a $60K car that is performance wise close to the LFA (a $400K) halo car? Then what would happen to the ISF as a performance car?
The ISF would be fine.

Make the Supra more expensive than the ISF. The Supra of 1996 retailed at 60k anyways, so the new one should be around 85-90k. It doesn't make sense at first but no one would've guessed a brand like NISSAN would release a 90k car and have it actually do well but it did. I feel Toyota can do the same. Make the Supra faster than the ISF with all the technical intricacies that the GT-R is known for.

And furthermore, that's why I say do away with the LFA and bring in more consumers in a more affordable market.

The LFA isn't completely bad, I just think it's overstepping too many boundaries. Then again, this is just my thoughts and I'm sure the risk management professionals at Toyota have done all the math and considered the Supra a bad idea. Ah well.

Just sucks that the GT-R competitor is nearly half a million dollars.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,057
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
Bring back the GT-R's competitor, the Supra.

What the hell? Stop dicking around.

Also, get rid of the LFA. Too expensive. Ugly. Bad marketing/business move IMO.


If Lexus wants to spark some life into their brand, bring back the SC redesigned and more edgy. A la 'Mercedes Benz SL' or 'BMW 6 Series'. (Wide, low profile, sporty, executive flair).

I understand they did away with the model because it didn't sell well but hell, if it looks the part, people will pay. Price it competitively with a sporty, yet mature design, and they will find themselves right back in the game.
IIRC, the LF-A is already, and has been for a while, sold out. Demand for the car is there and they are having no issue selling them at their assigned price. They even bumped up the US allocation by 21 units (to 171) due to high demand. They are limited in their current form to 500 units.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
IIRC, the LF-A is already, and has been for a while, sold out. Demand for the car is there and they are having no issue selling them at their assigned price. They even bumped up the US allocation by 21 units (to 171) due to high demand. They are limited in their current form to 500 units.
I'm aware.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
Cdnrockies
Banned
 
Drives: BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
IIRC, the LF-A is already, and has been for a while, sold out. Demand for the car is there and they are having no issue selling them at their assigned price. They even bumped up the US allocation by 21 units (to 171) due to high demand. They are limited in their current form to 500 units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
I'm aware.
Lol...but it's not. They have not been able to move it in the quantities that they expected. It is not sold out, nor have even half of the 500 actually been produced. It hasn't been a great time for selling exotics if you haven't noticed, never mind a brand new entry. That isn't to say they're not still coming, but it's a bit of a stretch to think that they're going to move a flurry of them in the near future. I have an aquaintenance/friend at the local dealership who stated the Ring LFA that is coming here is still 18 months to 2 years away for delivery.

Of those that are actually in market, it appears that a strong percentage are actually dealer owned cars that customers never ordered.
Cdnrockies is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #18
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,057
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Isn't the LF-A only available trough a non-transferrable 2 year lease with a balloon payment to keep out speculators and dealer markups?
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #19
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

Keep the LFA in production for only two more years, then get rid of it.

Bring back the Supra, as well a completely refreshed Lexus SC.

All will be well. No special lease programs and $400k+ price tags.

We can also keep the ISF.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
Cdnrockies
Banned
 
Drives: BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Isn't the LF-A only available trough a non-transferrable 2 year lease with a balloon payment to keep out speculators and dealer markups?
Nope. That plan didn't work either.
Cdnrockies is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
JO3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: a lot
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 567
iTrader: (8)

If they crammed a ~300-350hp Turbo inline-6 into one of these, and sold it for ~$40-50k, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

JO3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #22
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Isn't the LF-A only available trough a non-transferrable 2 year lease with a balloon payment to keep out speculators and dealer markups?
+1 that's what I thought..
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST