BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
stevenross
General
stevenross's Avatar
10
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: a ride
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC - Bayside

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 BMW X5 3.Slow  [0.00]
Damn Tire Place Put Front Tire in Rear and Rear Tire in Front

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
i have no idea how this is possible but it was done, now i need to go back tomorrow and get this corrected? its the OEM18s, i need to get it back to the place and its like 15 miles away, is it possible to drive there, or do i need to get this thing towed?

S
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454038
'11 E93 M3 Cab, - Mineral White/Fox Red/Carbon Leather,P2, Cold, Convenience, 19s, EDC, DCT, Prem Sound, Sat Rad - sold
'08 997 C2 Coupe / Carerra White & Sea Blue - Returned
'08 X5 3.Slow / Saphire Black Metallic on Black - Retained
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
United_States
217
Rep
4,727
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

So they rotated your tires....I don't think that's going to harm you any.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
captainaudio's Avatar
United_States
204
Rep
3,752
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

iTrader: (0)

When you go back to the dealer be sure to drive in reverse.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President) - Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA) -The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Sports Car Club of America -
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
matthewk
Private First Class
matthewk's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

It happened on my Porsche once. Put a 305 in the front and a 255 on the back.. Was just sitting in the parking lot like that when I went to pick it up.. Couldn't believe my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
66
Rep
2,399
Posts

Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

You wanted to save money so you didn't go to BMW dealership, am I right?
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
desertfox73
Newbie
10
Rep
301
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
So they rotated your tires....I don't think that's going to harm you any.
The front and rear wheels/tires are different widths. Though I doubt the wheels will fly off I would imagine, at the very least, there could be a fair amount of tire rub if the OP makes a tight turn.
__________________
2013 F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
United_States
217
Rep
4,727
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
The front and rear wheels/tires are different widths. Though I doubt the wheels will fly off I would imagine, at the very least, there could be a fair amount of tire rub if the OP makes a tight turn.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
66
Rep
2,399
Posts

Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
You take your car to the dealership for tires? Not sure how it works in Canada, but at least around me the reputable tire shops have better equipment and are capable of getting tires on and off without any rim damage and w/ RoadForce balance.
I take my car to the dealership for anything i dont want to / can't take care of. I totally trust my dealership.
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
bvernon
Private First Class
bvernon's Avatar
1
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
When you go back to the dealer be sure to drive in reverse.

CA
Very funny!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
desertfox73
Newbie
10
Rep
301
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Given your post count, I assume you knew that, but I didn't want the OP to assume everything was just ok. Clearly the wheels need to be put back in proper order.

As to whether or not he should get it towed, I assume that if he drove it home without a problem (which is also unclear, since he doesn't mention how he noticed the issue), he might be able to drive it back without an issue like rubbing the tire to the point that he needs a new one...or causing other problems to the car.

Just trying to be helpful.
__________________
2013 F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
United_States
217
Rep
4,727
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Given your post count, I assume you knew that, but I didn't want the OP to assume everything was just ok. Clearly the wheels need to be put back in proper order.

As to whether or not he should get it towed, I assume that if he drove it home without a problem (which is also unclear, since he doesn't mention how he noticed the issue), he might be able to drive it back without an issue like rubbing the tire to the point that he needs a new one...or causing other problems to the car.

Just trying to be helpful.
I assumed only the competition package only had offset rear wheels. Learn something new everyday.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
70
Rep
3,310
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
I take my car to the dealership for anything i dont want to / can't take care of. I totally trust my dealership.
Mo what dealership do you go to, Gallery or Calgary? Hoping it's Calgary!

+1 regardless I know my dealership will take care of everything after all they replaced my blown engine without a sound
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
Ateam
Banned
23
Rep
1,109
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Going to the dealer for tires is just stupid. They charge a couple hundred more for tires that are the exact same as tirerack or discount tires offers. Then their installers are not dedicated tire people but rather techs that do a variety of things.

Why would you pay 200 bucks more for the same set of tires just because it comes from the dealer? If you like throwing away money send me 200 bucks and I will get tires shipped to you from tirerack for what you are paying.

Tires are one thing the dealer is not the best place for so before you criticize someone maybe investigate the issue. I have always had good luck at discount tire and their road force balancing has always been perfect with no rim damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
JIO
Captain
14
Rep
630
Posts

Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Eugene, Oregon

iTrader: (0)

I'll bet your car no longer understeers.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #15
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
66
Rep
2,399
Posts

Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Mo what dealership do you go to, Gallery or Calgary? Hoping it's Calgary!

+1 regardless I know my dealership will take care of everything after all they replaced my blown engine without a sound
Definitely Calgary BMW. I deal with Elisse all the time, she is really knowledgable. BMW Gallery's service is so crappy ( in my experience )
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #16
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
66
Rep
2,399
Posts

Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Going to the dealer for tires is just stupid. They charge a couple hundred more for tires that are the exact same as tirerack or discount tires offers. Then their installers are not dedicated tire people but rather techs that do a variety of things.

Why would you pay 200 bucks more for the same set of tires just because it comes from the dealer? If you like throwing away money send me 200 bucks and I will get tires shipped to you from tirerack for what you are paying.

Tires are one thing the dealer is not the best place for so before you criticize someone maybe investigate the issue. I have always had good luck at discount tire and their road force balancing has always been perfect with no rim damage.
I meant changing tires, not buying tires from them. For chsnging tires I paid $45 + $5 (environmental fee) + tax
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #17
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
11
Rep
1,005
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 AW
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Agreed. If you don't notice any rubbing, just drive it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Given your post count, I assume you knew that, but I didn't want the OP to assume everything was just ok. Clearly the wheels need to be put back in proper order.

As to whether or not he should get it towed, I assume that if he drove it home without a problem (which is also unclear, since he doesn't mention how he noticed the issue), he might be able to drive it back without an issue like rubbing the tire to the point that he needs a new one...or causing other problems to the car.

Just trying to be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #18
creepy coupe
Major General
creepy coupe's Avatar
139
Rep
8,443
Posts

Drives: Mazda 6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
It's ok to drive the car, think about fitting a skinny space saver spare, just take it easy.

Last edited by creepy coupe; 10-11-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #19
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
330
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Should be fine I run 285's on my front as track wheels with only a 5mm spacer , just don't make any really sharp turns.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenross View Post
i have no idea how this is possible but it was done, now i need to go back tomorrow and get this corrected? its the OEM18s, i need to get it back to the place and its like 15 miles away, is it possible to drive there, or do i need to get this thing towed?

S
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
stevenross
General
stevenross's Avatar
10
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: a ride
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC - Bayside

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 BMW X5 3.Slow  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
It's ok to drive the car, think about fitted a skinny space saver spare, just take it easy.
Thanks for the tip I brought it back this morning and they are working in it.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454038
'11 E93 M3 Cab, - Mineral White/Fox Red/Carbon Leather,P2, Cold, Convenience, 19s, EDC, DCT, Prem Sound, Sat Rad - sold
'08 997 C2 Coupe / Carerra White & Sea Blue - Returned
'08 X5 3.Slow / Saphire Black Metallic on Black - Retained
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
JDy80
Captain
JDy80's Avatar
China
34
Rep
783
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to JDy80
Where did you bring your car to?
__________________


2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #22
stevenross
General
stevenross's Avatar
10
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: a ride
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC - Bayside

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 BMW X5 3.Slow  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
You wanted to save money so you didn't go to BMW dealership, am I right?
It wasn't about saving money. The last time I needed a tire I went to the dealer. Forget about getting ripped off, I had a crazy shake when going over 80mph only to bring it back 3 times and for them to tell me there is no problem. At which point I brought it to a local tire shop who fixed the problem and said the tire was completely out of balance.

I noticed it when I was washing the car and noticed the off sets were wrong.

I guess sh@t happens
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454038
'11 E93 M3 Cab, - Mineral White/Fox Red/Carbon Leather,P2, Cold, Convenience, 19s, EDC, DCT, Prem Sound, Sat Rad - sold
'08 997 C2 Coupe / Carerra White & Sea Blue - Returned
'08 X5 3.Slow / Saphire Black Metallic on Black - Retained
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST