BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
What was your longest trip this summer

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Yes longest trip, not longest day

No this is not a poll and I promise no longer to issue any pools My apologies to anyone that my polls may have annoyed.

I know in these economic times it is now cheeper to fly or take the train to travel or go anywhere in our car due to elevated gas prices. However, being retired now I don't see it that way. I like my M3 too much to leave it behind in the garage. Besides the stock market is doing it's best to shrink our savings so why not put some cash into the economy and purchase gas to enjoy driving your car

So this past summer my longest round trip was over 7600 KM (that would be over 4722 Miles). It took me form Southwestern Ontario all the way to Northern Alberta Canada. Good friends of mine lost there home and all there belongings in the Slave Lake, Alberta - Canada Fire you may have heard about if not click here for details. Needless to say I enjoyed every mile as well as visiting some of the places in the USA.

So what was your longest vacation trip this past summer? Think back and tell us your little tale or story or might you be planning a fall trip?

Have a great week ... safe driving always.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-10-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added Province and link to the Fire this Summer
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
CT
GODXSPD
 
CT's Avatar
 
Drives: SSII E90M
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Georgia

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

That's one hell of a trip, Rolf.

I took a one-way flight to D.C. to pick up an '08 SSII E90 M3 and drove it back to Savannah. Stopped in Chapel Hill, NC and enjoyed the backroads
__________________

e90m / ssii / foxred / wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 + 265/35r19 square / 15mm rear spacer / no chrome
CT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
 
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
 
Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,359
iTrader: (1)

Calgary - vancouver - Calgary. With all the driving in vancouver, i put around 3k km on my car
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Prince_of_Persia is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
richardg
Major
 
richardg's Avatar
 
Drives: e36M / e92M / e36 328i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bloomfield Hills Mi.

Posts: 1,217
iTrader: (5)

TSE ///Michigan, a bmw enthusiast group I lead, road tripped from Michigan to Baltimore for Bimmerfest East.
richardg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
TSE ///Michigan, a bmw enthusiast group I lead, road tripped from Michigan to Baltimore for Bimmerfest East.
That was well over 1,000 Miles round trip. Bet it was a fun trip. Let us know next year f you do it again, might join the trip No worries, I will keep up even if I am retired my ///M3 will see to that
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Calgary - vancouver - Calgary. With all the driving in vancouver, i put around 3k km on my car
Nice drive, I made this many a times (business trips) when I lived in Alberta for 27 years. Know the road very well
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
JoLo
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: ///2011.5 ///E90 ///AW ///ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NNJ

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

I took a trip from North Jersey down to Hilton Head island in South Carolina. If im not mistaken 1 way was about 800-900 miles so both ways was well over 1700 miles by the time i got back with the driving around SC.
JoLo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
That's one hell of a trip, Rolf.

I took a one-way flight to D.C. to pick up an '08 SSII E90 M3 and drove it back to Savannah. Stopped in Chapel Hill, NC and enjoyed the backroads
Yes it was I made it in less then3 days going there (was in a rush to help out with the fire) however on the way back I took my time taking a week for the return trip.

I love traveling on the back roads of America, the only way to see the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Longest trip for me was driving to iND and back... around 1500 miles total.
That was when you lived states side? How are you enjoying the back roads of Germany and the German Gemütlichkeit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo View Post
I took a trip from North Jersey down to Hilton Head island in South Carolina. If im not mistaken 1 way was about 800-900 miles so both ways was well over 1700 miles by the time i got back with the driving around SC.
That is a nice part of the country, fall colors must be nice right about now.
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

DC to Columbus, Ohio. 8 hour drive each way. So not that long.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

I'm ashamed to say that I had a plan to drive to south beach, but I decided not to put the miles on my baby.

I'm so divided, part of me wants to drive it all day, every day, to the beach and back, on road trips...but the other part of me wants to keep my m3 young, clean and fresh.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
Rex Heat
New Member
 
Drives: 2011.8 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

Picked The Beast up after the 1,200 mile service and drove her from the Philly area to Anniston, Al. Made sure to drive Skyline Drive on the way down and enjoyed every minute of the driving experience. Total drive was a little more than 2,000 miles.

What I really learned on this trip was that there is no where this car can really be driven hard legally and as we know it wants to be driven. The track will be in my future for sure.
Rex Heat is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
luis_m3
Low Pro...
 
Drives: 2011 E90 AW
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 965
iTrader: (0)

From Bavaria to Italy and back during a 3 day vacation; 1500 miles total
luis_m3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
JustMpwrd
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Playa del Rey, California

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
drove her up to Santa Barbara (about two hours) late in June. looking for more chances to take her on the road.....
JustMpwrd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
TRY...M3
Major
 
TRY...M3's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA

Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Heat View Post
Picked The Beast up after the 1,200 mile service and drove her from the Philly area to Anniston, Al. Made sure to drive Skyline Drive on the way down and enjoyed every minute of the driving experience. Total drive was a little more than 2,000 miles.

What I really learned on this trip was that there is no where this car can really be driven hard legally and as we know it wants to be driven. The track will be in my future for sure.

I'd have to disagree. Living in PA there's tons of back roads and long straight aways everywhere. I get to drive my hard everyday. One of the only perks liven in Pennsylvania
__________________
e92///M3
TT Lamborghini Gallardo
INSTAGRAM: CHRISTIANPERLES
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
TRY...M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
8_is_enough
Lieutenant
 
8_is_enough's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92M, '12 GTI
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: san francisco, ca

Posts: 594
iTrader: (8)

1000 mile round trip...great bonding experience
8_is_enough is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
DC to Columbus, Ohio. 8 hour drive each way. So not that long.
8 hours in the M3 is a great time to be had ☺ I spend some time as a young fellow taking courses in the technology field at one of the electronic suppliers there. Nice area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I'm ashamed to say that I had a plan to drive to south beach, but I decided not to put the miles on my baby.

I'm so divided, part of me wants to drive it all day, every day, to the beach and back, on road trips...but the other part of me wants to keep my m3 young, clean and fresh.
I hope you don’t continue to think like that, it would be like marring a sexy lady and then not ever (or very seldom) touching her … I know you will enjoy driving your babe once you make a few trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Heat View Post
Picked The Beast up after the 1,200 mile service and drove her from the Philly area to Anniston, Al. Made sure to drive Skyline Drive on the way down and enjoyed every minute of the driving experience. Total drive was a little more than 2,000 miles.

What I really learned on this trip was that there is no where this car can really be driven hard legally and as we know it wants to be driven. The track will be in my future for sure.
Picking the car up then driving her home is a wonderful experience. Mind you picking the car up in München at Die Welt and then waiting until the car arrives at home is murder … still nice to drive her fast on the Autobahn.

I know what you mean about not being able to drive her to the very limit except on the track. That is the nice thing about our car it has dual purpose a nice DD or weekend car then when you have the itch one can take her to the track. I like to sling shot past trucks and slow drivers, that is why I like my M so much it’s a great safety slingshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
From Bavaria to Italy and back during a 3 day vacation; 1500 miles total
Must have been a wonderful outing. I plan to do that trip nect year or the following year when I plan to purchase a new DD on ED the only thing I fear is the small Italian city streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMpwrd View Post
drove her up to Santa Barbara (about two hours) late in June. looking for more chances to take her on the road.....
I love that coastal Highway 1, drove it twice now back in the 80s in my 535is and last year in my then Z4 35i from LA to Portland (along Highway 1 and 101) … plan to do it again next time will be in my M3 … looking forward to it. I have 2 pictures driving thru the Chandler Drive-Thru Tree, need one more with my M3 they say all good things are three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclee337 View Post
1000 mile round trip...great bonding experience
I find any trip in the M3 adds more and more bounding pleasure.

Having said that ... the weather is nice outside, I shall take my toy to the lake for a spin ...
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
GeoXP
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Space Grey - ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Illinois

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

European Delivery...
Drove from Munich through switzerland and over to Italy. Then did the entire southern coast of France, on to Barcelona, San Sebastian and finally Madrid. Ended up being a little over 2,000 miles over 16 days.
GeoXP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
GeoXP
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Space Grey - ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Illinois

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoXP View Post
European Delivery...
Drove from Munich through switzerland and over to Italy. Then did the entire southern coast of France, on to Barcelona, San Sebastian and finally Madrid. Ended up being a little over 2,000 miles over 16 days.
Also squeezed in some side trips during this adventure. Drove the san Bernadino pass and the Cul de Turini while I was there. Not to mention the Autobahn
GeoXP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
youngnastyman
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,371
iTrader: (13)

Houston Texas to Las Vegas Nevada for ///MFEST V!!! 1600 miles each way.. Unfortunately I did not have an M3 at the time just a heavily modded 335i (still pretty fun).

Was quite the trip - drove out there with a caravan of fellow Bimmer fanatics from all around texas. The drive there took us about 2 days since we stopped in New Mexico for some shut ass but on the way back I utilized my 2 copilots and we made the drive back in one shot. Took 24 hours!!!!

So worth it.. Will prob do it again next year.. but this time in the ///M3!
youngnastyman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
PhillyNate
BMWCCA #405750
 
PhillyNate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 Scion FR-S  [0.00]
Bimmerfest East.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe (reluctantly sold 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe (retired 06/21/11
)

PhillyNate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
ajvee
Major
 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

Posts: 1,435
iTrader: (13)

Cool thread. My longest trip was a few months ago when I drove from Minneapolis to Ithaca (2000 miles). My M3 was packed to the brim and I stopped off in Chicago (for japanese food) and overnight in Toledo, Ohio. I absolutely loved the trip.

Couple of pictures from my navigation screen and a rest area in New York.
Attached Images
  
ajvee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoXP View Post
European Delivery...
Drove from Munich through switzerland and over to Italy. Then did the entire southern coast of France, on to Barcelona, San Sebastian and finally Madrid. Ended up being a little over 2,000 miles over 16 days.
My next car will be a ED have not made up my mind what it will be yet, it will replace our DD will most likely be a convertible Benz or Bimmer … Have made many a trips to Europe always in rented cars (mostly VW and Opel’s). Next one will be in a good car we also plan on Italy and Spain as well as France then back to Germany. Next year or the year after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoXP View Post
Also squeezed in some side trips during this adventure. Drove the san Bernadino pass and the Cul de Turini while I was there. Not to mention the Autobahn
Side trips are always fun, I tend to stay clear of the Autobahn. Back roads are the ticket do see the land and taste the good food … naturally the odd side trip to the Autoban must be included ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
Houston Texas to Las Vegas Nevada for ///MFEST V!!! 1600 miles each way.. Unfortunately I did not have an M3 at the time just a heavily modded 335i (still pretty fun).

Was quite the trip - drove out there with a caravan of fellow Bimmer fanatics from all around texas. The drive there took us about 2 days since we stopped in New Mexico for some shut ass but on the way back I utilized my 2 copilots and we made the drive back in one shot. Took 24 hours!!!!

So worth it.. Will prob do it again next year.. but this time in the ///M3!
You will have so much fun doing it in your own M3 you will see …

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Bimmerfest East.
I’ll try to make it next year sounds like a barrel of fun. Speaking of Jeremy Clarkson, I’m waiting for season 17 … have all the other seasons great show ... kinda fun to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Cool thread. My longest trip was a few months ago when I drove from Minneapolis to Ithaca (2000 miles). My M3 was packed to the brim and I stopped off in Chicago (for japanese food) and overnight in Toledo, Ohio. I absolutely loved the trip.

Couple of pictures from my navigation screen and a rest area in New York.
Cool trip nice color you picked. Enjoy your next trip
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST