BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GT Haus

09-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
kpt6
Rep
Drives: Fast

Need advice on my E90 M3 order! Please and thank you!

Last edited by kpt6; 10-03-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

There's a lot to take in with your post, but I want to address something right off the bat. You seem to have significant mistrust and animosity towards your dealer and BMW. Not sure why you would patronize a company and dealership you feel has lied to you repeatedly (more on that below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt6 View Post
He told me the car would be finished in 6-8 weeks. This Fri will be 6 weeks from when I ordered it and on BMW's website it says they are still currently processing the order. After reading on here, it looks like the dealers actually do know the week it goes into production? So he totally lied to me about that I guess. I put $5000 down which wasn't a big deal to me, but I also see that was pretty outrageous, based on what others have paid on this site. I kinda feel like I got screwed in that deal.
Your dealer estimated 6-8 weeks. He was overly optimistic. Attributing that to willful lying for some purpose seems a bit far fetched. Also, it's not his job to ensure that you get the best deal possible (quite the contrary actually).

Quote:
Now the only reason I even ordered the car was because of the rumors that there wasn't going to be a next gen M3 sedan, which I now see there is going to be. I feel BMW intentionally bluffed on that to get in more last minute sales on the e90.
How exactly did BMW do this? You read a bunch of rumors on the internet and made a $70k purchase as a consequence of faulty conclusions you drew from this. BMW bears no responsibility for your decision making process. There is no official statement from BMW saying that there will not be a next generation M3 sedan. In fact they would get in significant trouble for making such a false statement, since the car would have to have been in planning already.

Quote:
Pros: TT motor (probably V8 again- my opinion, but given that BMW bluffed on the E90 sedan, I bet they are just bluffing on the 6cyl idea as well just to keep sales up. I'd actually place $ on that bet!)
Your opinion seems unlikely. Many high performance automakers are going to turbo engines as a way to keep the fuel efficiency high while increasing the hp. This is already happening in the M5, not sure why you're so doubtful it might happen in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
kpt6
Rep

Last edited by kpt6; 10-03-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
kpt6
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

You already made this thread, so just stick to it. You can edit it and add cliff notes if you like.
As far as your order, imo just stick with it. Its not the dealers fault you did not get a better deal. Sure its not getting delivered when they said it will. But thats life just stick with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Unfortunately you got hosed. The dealers in AZ are all owned by the same group and do not budge easily. Fortunately you have to step up and show them other dealers country wide offering invoice, and they matched it. Its like a competitor coupon. If you show them who is offering invoice then they had no choice. They were not happy but I told them I would simply order for invoice from the dealer I told them about. A couple of them are board dealers here.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

By the way even if you paid a bit more such as 2k under msrp, you are really only out 2-3k. Invoice would be about 6k off msrp. So you may have been overpaying by about 3-4k but is that enough for you to throw the deal away? In the scheme of things 3k is not a deal breaker for most. Especially since it sounds like you do not want to haggle. However they have an advantage since the e90 is hard to get as allocations are gone. I would just eat the 3k you could have saved and move on with life and be happy with the car. No point in missing out on a great car for 3k IMO!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
kpt6
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Dude, I wouldn't be complaining at the deal you got. Do you realize that based on another thread here it's very likely that you have the VERY LAST E90 M3 ALLOCATION IN THE COUNTRY??? Whether or not you want it is up to you, but seriously, that's pretty awesome. The dealer probably knew that, and therefore knew that there was nowhere else you could go to order one, so frankly I'm amazed you got $2K off.

Anyway, as to the next gen, it's going to be a turbo 6, either inline or V. You ask why they wouldn't go with a V8 on the M3 since they did on the M5? Because the M5 has ALWAYS had a larger engine with more cylinders. The previous-gen M5 had a naturally aspirated V10, and now it has a turbo 8. The low-end Z4 previously had a naturally aspirated I6, and now it has a turbo 4. That turbo 4 is also going to see service in the next-gen base 3 Series, replacing the naturally aspirated I6 in the current one. See a pattern?

Look at it this way. Get the E90 M3 and enjoy having a piece of history in the form of the last naturally aspirated M engine and arguably one of the best engines ever to come out of M. That sweet high-revving sound should make up for any turbo withdrawal you have as long as you drive it properly (i.e. keep the revs high when you're out for fun). Keep it for a few years and then if you still want the F Series M3 get it after it's hit LCI, thereby getting a version of the car with launch bugs worked out and possibly more options available.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 09-19-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
chmura
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Get the e90!! I had one on order for the past 2 months and I'm finally picking mine up next week!

You really want to wait 1+ year to get a new M3 sedan and be a guniea pig for the first model year of the new M3? I sure dont!

2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White
Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | 6 MT | Premium Package 3 | Competition Package | Fold Down Seats | Satellite Radio | iPod/USB | Anti-Theft Alarm
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
esquire
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe

CLIFFS NOTES: GET THE NEXT GEN M3. Why? It's a more sound investment

If money is important to you , the more sound move is to go with the next generation M3. historically cars, including the m3, depreciate more significantly once they are out of production. In other words, you could recoupe more of your investment, once you go to sell the car, if you get the next gen M3 than if you get the current gen M3.

Of course you mentioned that you plan on keeping the care for 5-10 years, but nevertheless the above logic still applies. The only real question here is whether you're capable of waiting another 2-3 years for the next gen M3 to arrive. (And i suppose if you're willing to pay the small bump in the next gen M3's base price)

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
CLIFFS NOTES: GET THE NEXT GEN M3. Why? It's a more sound investment

If money is important to you , the more sound move is to go with the next generation M3. historically cars, including the m3, depreciate more significantly once they are out of production. In other words, you could recoupe more of your investment, once you go to sell the car, if you get the next gen M3 than if you get the current gen M3.

Of course you mentioned that you plan on keeping the care for 5-10 years, but nevertheless the above logic still applies. The only real question here is whether you're capable of waiting another 2-3 years for the next gen M3 to arrive. (And i suppose if you're willing to pay the small bump in the next gen M3's base price)

- esquire
I hate to break it to you, but purchasing a depreciating asset is not a sound investment. No matter which way you cut it, when you purchase a sports car, you are doing it for the sheer pleasure and enjoyment of the car. If you're trying to hold on to it like a stack of gold bars, you're buying the wrong car.

OP, I would look at your personal finances and your desires, and then take a call. How important is the overall driving experience? Are you the sort of person that has to have the 'latest, greatest thing'? Turbo vs NA enthusiast?
V8 vs (likely) 6cyl?

My suggestion is to make a list of pros and cons. One that is more substantial than in your post. And based on that, take a call, and don't look back. Either way you go, you will end up with a great experience.

On the other hand, if you are stretching your finances to purchase this car, then hang back and wait until it is a comfortable purchase. This is a luxury item, NOT an investment - all cars will depreciate, so even if you wait till the F30 M3, that car will also depreciate over the course of its ownership.

Hope this post helps - but ultimately, you need to make the decision, not us. I will end by saying that I would personally choose the E90, as I believe in living in the moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Do you realize that based on another thread here it's very likely that you have the VERY LAST E90 M3 ALLOCATION IN THE COUNTRY???
He ordered 5 weeks ago, so one of the last but not the last one. Hardly a reason to keep the order if he is having buyers remorse or second thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From my understanding the dealers do have specific time slots/allocations and they know when it is going to go into production though, do they not?
They don't know exactly when the orders will go into production. Sometimes they are moved up, sometimes they are moved back. Also, with BMW trying to finish off the e90 production run, the schedule might have been glutted with last minute orders (mine included ).

Quote:
I did hear that it was from reliable sources, like Scott26(?) or whatever his username is. No big deal either way.
So your reliable source is some guy on the internet (no offense to Scott) whose username you're not even sure of? Good call.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #15
kpt6
Rep

Last edited by kpt6; 10-03-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
BlkITR01
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura Integra

OP, reading your post it is my honest opinion that you do not have the same mindset/passion as most members on the forum. There's nothing wrong with having the latest and greatest but there will always be something coming around the corner. As one member said you may not want to have the first model year, then there's the LCI model, a little after the "new" m3 will be released. It's a never ending cycle.

Like you I also saw the rumor regarding no m3 sedan next generation which definitely prompted me to purchase my e90. Unlike you I love the E9x design and dislike the direction BMW is taking with the newer generations (don't really like the nose). I won't deny that if i could afford it, I would love to own a F10 M5. I choose to purchase a E90 because 1. I think the design is great. 2. As I mentioned before I generally do not like the direction BMW is going with new designs. 3. The new M3 will most probably cost more than the current generation. 4. It will also mostly probably be a little larger. 5. The F30 M3 won't be released until probably 2013, 2014.

As to your questions you posed. You shouldn't have committed to a $70k purchase without knowing 100% that's what you wanted and doing some research. I don't think the dealer would have a problem finding another buyer for the vehicle. This is not 2008 with a surplus of inventory. On the other hand you could try negotiating a better deal (never hurts to ask) but I do not see why a dealer would budge when at some point you agreed to the price.

To me it's pretty obvious you do not see the current trend or aren't up to date on M models. As another poster mentioned BMW is going to turbo engines to meet environmental reason and to achieve the hp people want. M5, X5M, X6M? All turbo. There seems to be about zero percent chance in a NA M3 engine.

I say stick with the E90 but it's totally up to you. Is your deposit refundable? Big question mark in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dude, it's people like you on the Evo forums that kind of ruin the overall experience. I wasn't sure if I had the numbers at the end of his userid right, so give me a break. Get over yourself- you've been on here a month.
I haven't been on m3post for a million years so I guess I don't count

Since you're SO much more experienced than I am in these matters, shouldn't you have known better than to plunk down a deposit based on a rumor?

Keep in mind that I'm not the one that tried to make this personal and pull "rank" Mr. Eleven Posts ...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
kpt6
Rep

Last edited by kpt6; 10-03-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #19
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Regarding the deposit, deposits should always be refundable, especially considering that the dealer can still change the options on the car to how they want it right now if I was to skip the purchase. If not, I'll have my credit card company work it out for me.
If a deposit were always refundable, there wouldn't be much point in a deposit, now would there? I agree if the dealer were able to find another buyer and customize to his/her preferences in time, then yes refunding your deposit would be fair, but if the car goes into production before the dealer can manage that, then you should absolutely NOT get your deposit back. That's how the game works.

Yes, the next M3 will be faster than the current one -- BMW has never made a model that's slower than the one it replaced. However, while I'm sure the turbo will have its fun and merits, have you driven the current one? That high-strung V8 is a thing of beauty to mash the throttle on and listen to. I think you'll have plenty of fun with it. The turbos would make it a better city commuter, but honestly if that's what you want then get a 335i or 335d.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
mmm def
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 12 MDX

Send a message via AIM to mmm def
Um hello, the plant was shut down the whole month of August.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
SamS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Hey OP: if you like the E90, just buy it. This really is your last chance to order a brand new one, with all the options you want. So what if you don't eek out that last $2-3K? There's no guaranty you will find a dealer with an allocation, even then it seems rather unlikely they'll let it go near invoice.

The F80 is still 2 years away, minimum. And you can expect to pay full price, or maybe even a premium, when it first hits market.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
M3tallicar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def View Post
Um hello, the plant was shut down the whole month of August.
Actually this year they were not, I thought it would be to and asked about it, was told they were not shutting down. I then tracked a car being made in Aug.
Appreciate 0