BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

09-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #23
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
ok thanks guys for your input again. ventilated seats are nice, but too bad they are not offered..still haven;t made up my mind as far as color...so confusing, since they don;t have too many m3s where i am at and i am forced just to go with internet pictures..
but on my short list are:

Mineral white/FR
AW/FR
SG/FR
IBlue/Silver or IB/FR or IB/black or Bamboo
LBlue/Silver or LB/FR or LB/Black or bamboo

i guess i didn't leave any colors out ha! you can see why i am confused!
I would recommend looking at the official exterior color threads for all of those colors here on M3Post (except MW, there doesn't seem to be an official thread for that yet). You'll still be seeing pictures taken with various cameras on a likely non-calibrated monitor, but that will still give you a much better idea than the online configurator, and you're bound to find pics in there that have the interior combo you're looking for as well. Fyi though, Fox Red is VERY difficult to capture on camera accurately, as you'll probably notice when you see how wildly the various pictures of it vary even though they're all pics of the same color. The easiest way to find the color threads is to Google "Official (exterior color name) site:m3post". That limits Google's search to M3Post, so searching "Official Le Mans site:m3post" for example will bring the E90 and E92/93 threads up as the top hits.

Here's my 2 cents on the specific options you're considering:

- AW/FR and SG/FR are both popular combinations and look great, IMHO. Mineral white just recently became available so popularity is hard to gauge, but I like it a lot and I imagine it'd go well with FR as well. There's a great AW/MW comparison thread here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454122. I've seen both in person. AW is more of a pure, bright "white-out" white, whereas MW is sort of a less glaring, subdued white, which is why it diffuses light very differently as demonstrated in that thread. MW doesn't look as "textured" as the comparison pics would suggest, but it does look like a more expensive paint job.

- Blue exterior (either one) goes very well with a black interior, but as others have said you should think very carefully about going with a black interior in that weather. Or at least get some serious tinting and probably the rear sunshade even if you only use it when the car is parked. The most common interior color with a blue exterior on these boards seems to be black, then silver, then bamboo.

- Blue exterior (either one) and red interior is known as the Superman car. That may or may not bother you, but I only know of 2 people on these boards who have that combo and I've only seen it in the wild once. It's pretty "loud" and I think would be tough to live with long-term -- plus I think it removes a lot of the potential this car has to be classy as well as sporty. But of course that's just my opinion.

- As far as Interlagos vs. Le Mans, be aware that under bright outside light (which it sounds like you have a lot of out there), Interlagos can look very purple. It's overall a sort of a blue raspberry candy blue, whereas Le Mans is a royal "true blue" (color shifts through various shades of blue depending on lighting, but it's always unquestionably blue) and it seems to have more shimmer than IB, perhaps more metallic flakes. I personally feel Le Mans manages to be both sporty and classy, whereas Interlagos is just sporty and loud, but of course I'm biased. Interlagos, however, is exclusive to M cars, so some people like it for that reason.

- As far as trim options go, Carbon Leather seems to be really popular with FR. Aluminum in my view clashes a bit with FR and just results in the car having too many colors going on, but some have done it and like it. I think aluminum goes VERY well with a black interior though (Carbon Leather is just too much black and no contrast for me in that config), but be warned that the aluminum will be EXTREMELY hot after the car has been parked in high temperatures. Others have also noted that it's susceptible to dings, so if you're worried about that it may not be the best for you. You'll also want to be careful letting go of your seatbelt to avoid dinging the trim piece running from the door into the rear for that reason. With a silver interior you can go either aluminum or carbon, though I'd recommend aluminum especially if you get extended leather. Sycamore seems to only ever be used in cars that have bamboo interiors and for those that want to emphasize classiness over sportiness on the inside.

- Get either ZCP or the Style 220M 19" wheels. The 18" wheels are now silver rather than gunmetal and while silver does contrast better with some colors (like blue) compared to gunmetal, the silver 18s unfortunately make the car look like a no-option 328i: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=17

Enjoy!
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 09-19-2011 at 08:41 AM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      09-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #24
0-60Motorsports
Major

Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Go with FR interior extended leather and blue or mineral white! It'll look stunning!
Current Mods: GC Coilovers, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OME CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, EVOLVE Alpha-N, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ....
0-60Motorsports is offline   Bahrain
      09-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
tbonem3
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 M3

thanks jphughan for the detailed breakdown!
i like MW and SG, but never had a white car, and not sure how that will play in the long run! many rental cars are white, but also many racing cars are white..however, a while back i drove my friends white 850ci for a couple weeks, which was amazing! i think that one had black interior at the time..SG is nice, classy, business like, grown-up.does't get dirty easily.and goes probably the best with FR interior..but at the same time it doesn't stand out that much and say I am an M3 and need to be noticed?! like a bright blue, white, or red..i think..

thanks again for the input..i might have to get the wife's opinion, but she already told me she like SG..i don't want to agree with her right away lool

I like your description of the two blue colors and their different attitudes. i wish they had the monte carlo blue, would be an easier decision on the blues for me..
      09-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #26
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
thanks jphughan for the detailed breakdown!
i like MW and SG, but never had a white car, and not sure how that will play in the long run! many rental cars are white, but also many racing cars are white..however, a while back i drove my friends white 850ci for a couple weeks, which was amazing! i think that one had black interior at the time..SG is nice, classy, business like, grown-up.does't get dirty easily.and goes probably the best with FR interior..but at the same time it doesn't stand out that much and say I am an M3 and need to be noticed?! like a bright blue, white, or red..i think..

thanks again for the input..i might have to get the wife's opinion, but she already told me she like SG..i don't want to agree with her right away lool

I like your description of the two blue colors and their different attitudes. i wish they had the monte carlo blue, would be an easier decision on the blues for me..
You're right about all aspects of SG -- arguably looks best with FR, most businesslike and understated, but also doesn't make it as obvious you have an M3.

I don't like red because it attracts speeding tickets and you lose contrast opportunity with the tail lights. Blue contrasts well with red, silver, orange, and black -- which just so happen to be all of the other colors on the exterior and interior.

Monte Carlo is available through Individual and there's a thread somewhere with pics of an MCB E92 complete with a pic next to Le Mans. I think MCB is too bright and flashy, whereas Le Mans is more royal while still sporty. But that's purely opinion, though color preference always is.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      09-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #27
Foodle
Captain

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I would recommend looking at the official exterior color threads for all of those colors here on M3Post (except MW, there doesn't seem to be an official thread for that yet). ...
Great summary of the color choices.

Personally, of the blues, I'd choose LeMans or Monte Carlo (individual). There are a few recent threads of people with Monte Carlo and rust M3s. I went with LeMans (waiting for a slow boat from Germany ).
Foodle is offline   United_States
      09-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #28
JOM3JO
Private First Class

Drives: e92 m3

they should be different between europ spec M3 and us spec M3(which i heard before),engine power output slightly different and build qulity slightly different?
      09-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #29
tbonem3
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 M3

any difference in cooling or handling the heat? I mean Europe is not exactly hotter than the states, which i am not too worried about..i guess the real question if major difference between Euro spec and GCC (Gulf countries specs)? thnxs
      09-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #30
0-60Motorsports
Major

Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
No Difference in Cooling between GCC and EURO SPEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO DIFFERENCE! TRUST ME I Work on these cars all the time the part numbers for cooling components are the same between Gulf and US Models.
Current Mods: GC Coilovers, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OME CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, EVOLVE Alpha-N, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ....
0-60Motorsports is offline   Bahrain
      09-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #31
Maseroche
Major

Drives: '08 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Mine is Jet Black with Extended Fox leather. Definitely get some tinted glass (check local Kuwaiti law first) and as far as colors go, the lighter the better but don't let that be the major consideration. Get the color that YOU like and you can deal with anything else.

Maseroche is offline   Bahrain